• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are we sure that ME/CFS isn't Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome (LEMS)?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert–Eaton_myasthenic_syndrome

Hoping someone smarter than me provides a convincing argument as to why they aren't the same :)
Goodness - they do look very similar, don't they? It wouldn't surprise me if some people with this illness are misdiagnosed with ME/CFS - maybe some people here? I had never heard of it, but did a search for more-authoritative pages (you can't be sure that Wikipedia entries are written by knowledgeable people, although they are generally good) and got this one.

A few things about the illness suggest that I don't have it, e.g. the advisability of treating with acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitors. I do better with anticholinergic drugs, which have the opposite effect, and some tests in the early days of my illness found my AChE levels to be a little low. I had asked for the tests because of a suspicion that my symptoms were due to organophosphate flea treatments used on my cats.

The page also says that magnesium is contraindicated, whereas many people with ME seem to benefit from magnesium.

Last edited:

ukxmrv

It doesn't occur in outbreaks like ME did in the 20th century

It doesn't suddenly appear in previously well people who suddenly get a virus infection and never recover

With "ME/CFS" it always depends on what you are talking about, which criteria etc. Sure to be a misdiagnosis or two in there

trails

Probably a stupid thread :thumbdown: I'm not usually susceptible to hypochondriasis or medical-students disease, or whatever. Nevertheless, elements of this disease kind of freaked me out a bit. My mother had ME/CFS symptoms for most of her adult life. Eventually, she passed away from lung cancer more than 15 years after she quit smoking.

Given that I smoked for about 30 years before quitting, I'm undoubtedly guilty of a momentary panic attack. :nervous:

Valentijn

In addition to the points raised above, I see no mention of anything resembling PEM. In fact:
On neurological examination, the weakness demonstrated with normal testing of power is often less severe than would be expected on the basis of the symptoms. Strength improves further with repeated testing, e.g. improvement of power on repeated hand grip (a phenomenon known as "Lambert's sign").
My muscles get weaker during use, not stronger.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Probably a stupid thread :thumbdown: I'm not usually susceptible to hypochondriasis or medical-students disease, or whatever. Nevertheless, elements of this disease kind of freaked me out a bit. My mother had ME/CFS symptoms for most of her adult life. Eventually, she passed away from lung cancer more than 15 years after she quit smoking.

Given that I smoked for about 30 years before quitting, I'm undoubtedly guilty of a momentary panic attack. :nervous:
My mother died of lung cancer, but I have no idea whether she had any symptoms like this, as I was very young when she died. I smoked for about 15 years. Stopped in the early 1980s. But I don't think I have this, as I said.

kangaSue

Mis-diagnoses do occur between the two. Lems can just be idiopathic and have no involvement with lung cancer, you only get lung cancer with paraneoplastic syndrome, i.e. you have symptoms of cancer but it has not yet materialised somewhere in the body.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15257511

Idiopathic LEMS is an example of channelopathies, several of which have been found along with ME/CFS but there's no detemination whether it is of primary cause or secondary factor. It's known that low grade inflammation in any chronic condition can cause channelopathies, the alteration of ion channel function found in autoimmune dysfunction.
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/...annelopathy-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs