• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

For those who have tried Psyllium, how do you take it?

Gingergrrl

I was wondering for those who have tried Psyllium (either for constipation, as a prebiotic, as a mold binder or for any other reason)... how do you take it?

Do you mix it with a huge glass of water or juice and drink immediately, or do you let it sit in the water for a period of time and drink it slowly, or do you sprinkle it onto food? The carton says it can become very thick and you can choke on it and a friend mentioned that it can become thick and form a gelatinous mass in your GI track :eek:

Also, do you take it 60 to 90 minutes away from meds and food or does this not matter?

Lastly, for those who tried it, did it help whatever you were trying to treat, was it neutral or was it negative?

Am just gathering info and have never actually tried Psyllium but curious about other's experiences. Thanks in advance!

Gingergrrl

If you're looking for something for constipation, you didn't say why, I use acacia fiber. No choking hazard.

Sorry I kept it vague b/c I was curious about people's experiences with Psyllium and how they take it regardless of the reason.

In my own case, I am not tolerating the stronger mold binders so am looking at many different options.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I'm not taking psyllium now, but when I was taking it for constipation, this was my preferred way to take it:

I'd take it once or twice a day, right after a meal with at least 12 oz. of water or dilute apple juice. It has to be gulped down quickly otherwise it will turn into a thick gelatinous mess. I took it AWAY from medications by two hours because it can bind medications and make them less effective.

I felt better taking it right after a meal because of all the liquid that has to be taken with the psyllium. It just felt better on my stomach that way.

There are orange-flavored psyllium powders out there that improve the taste somewhat.

Gingergrrl

I was looking for a reference to suggest Bentonite clay as a binder when I came across this website
http://biotoxinjourney.com/binders-2/

@kangaSue Thank you for the links and I think I have now read every mold detox & binder link on the planet LOL. I tried Bentonite clay for two nights (following all the rules, separating it by 90 min each way for meds, etc) and one of the nights it made my tongue feel numb like an anesthetic and both nights it gave me tachycardia. Charcoal had an allergic reaction (tried it 5x) so this is out.

Have been using apple pectin and oat bran as binders with no side effects but wanted to try Psyllium so am really curious about this one in particular.

Gingergrrl

I'm not taking psyllium now, but when I was taking it for constipation, this was my preferred way to take it:

I'd take it once or twice a day, right after a meal with at least 12 oz. of water or dilute apple juice. It has to be gulped down quickly otherwise it will turn into a thick gelatinous mess. I took it AWAY from medications by two hours because it can bind medications and make them less effective.

I felt better taking it right after a meal because of all the liquid that has to be taken with the psyllium. It just felt better on my stomach that way.

There are orange-flavored psyllium powders out there that improve the taste somewhat.

@CFS_for_19_years Thank you and it sounds like you drank it right away which is what the carton says but I have heard from others that they wait until it thickens like a milk shake consistency before drinking it so wanted to compare.

When you took it away from meds by two hours, do you mean two hours in each direction of the Psyllium? I definitely do not want it to bind my other meds and just to bind the mold/toxins so this is my plan. I need to clarify it with my mold doc but was curious how others use it.

Can't do "orange flavor" b/c of my MCAS. It restricts me drastically with finding products that I can tolerate.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
@CFS_for_19_years Thank you and it sounds like you drank it right away which is what the carton says but I have heard from others that they wait until it thickens like a milk shake consistency before drinking it so wanted to compare.

When you took it away from meds by two hours, do you mean two hours in each direction of the Psyllium? I definitely do not want it to bind my other meds and just to bind the mold/toxins so this is my plan. I need to clarify it with my mold doc but was curious how others use it.

You might want to ask a pharmacist about waiting for the Psyllium to gel first or not.

Yes, I avoided taking taking meds and Psyllium closer than two hours apart, both directions. I've heard anywhere from 1 to 3 hours.

Gingergrrl

You might want to ask a pharmacist about waiting for the Psyllium to gel first or not.

Yes, I avoided taking taking meds and Psyllium closer than two hours apart, both directions. I've heard anywhere from 1 to 3 hours.

Thank you and the more I am researching this, it seems likely that it is highly allergenic for mast cells and one article compared it (reaction wise) to the red food coloring, Carmine, which was the second worst reaction that I ever had. I was worried about how to take it but am now thinking I will not be able to tolerate it at all. I really want to try CSM but my doctor was hesitant so we are trying all these other ones first but Psyllium, now that I am looking further, seems highly allergenic and probably not worth the risk.

I took it many ways - didnt help me at all with constipation. Au contraire.
It seems if you have certain type of SIBO it cant be counterproductive to take it.
Just sharing for other readers ;)

Gingergrrl

I took it many ways - didnt help me at all with constipation. Au contraire.
It seems if you have certain type of SIBO it cant be counterproductive to take it.
Just sharing for other readers ;)

@AkeBono Thanks and I decided that I am not going to try Psyllium after all and am very appreciative for all the feedback that I got. I am fairly certain that I will be allergic to it and that I have already added too many fibers too fast and need to slow down my new protocol vs. try to speed it up even more. I test negative for SIBO assuming the tests are correct.