• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IQs soar at Daily Telegraph: "It's too good to be true that exercise can help CFS"

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Sudden reversal of fortune for us in the DT:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbein...o-good-to-be-true-that-exercise-can-help-chr/

Dr Le Fanu said:
The researchers may be persuaded by their optimistic conclusions, but Telegraph readers certainly are not, as is clear from the impressive number (more than 1,200) of highly critical comments posted online, drawing attention to, for example, the remarkable absence of any measurable criteria for assessing what “recovery” entailed. It is far too good to be true to suppose that positive thinking and graded exercise should reverse a debilitating illness that, as with Mr Cornes, can last for decades – and it would be good to think the sheer implausibility of asserting otherwise could be the last hurrah for the psychological explanation for post-viral fatigue.

No comments allowed, alas! But go there, read the whole thing, and give them the traffic for a positive article.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Unfortunately, James Le Fanu is a really common name in the UK.

!!

I only ever met the one James Le Fanu - he was in my year at medical school. I know James quite well, although in recent years we have only met up for a meal on a couple of occasions. He wrote a good book called something like the Rise and Fall of Medical Science. He is a good egg and I am pleased to see him weighing in here. I will have to look at the full article.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
James Le Fanu. That name rings a bell.

Ah yes...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1279477/

(Assuming it is the same James Le Fanu, of course.)
I have a rather old book by him, The Family Encyclopaedia of Medicine and Health, first published in 1987. I found a very short entry for 'Myalgic Encephalomyelitis'. Interestingly it states:
Symptoms are usually made worse by exercise.

The relationship of ME with depression is complex. In some patients the symptoms of the depression develop and benefit from antidepressant treatment. More commonly, the patient becomes depressed as a result of the illness.

Most patients recover within weeks rather than months, but a few may continue to suffer for over a year.

Well, some right and some wrong, but maybe there wasn't much info available then.

Last edited:

sarah darwins

The final discussion section of that paper by Le Fanu linked above is worth highlighting here, I think:

The major developments in imaging and other diagnostic procedures over the past three decades have generated the expectation on the part of both doctors and their patients that it should be possible to establish ‘what is wrong’. Logically then, those whose symptoms remain medically unexplained—where neither objective findings from examination nor investigation point to an organic cause—are presumed to have a somatoform disorder.

This paper challenges this assumption in three grounds. First, the somatoform disorders are not ‘diagnoses of exclusion’ but rather exhibit the characteristic pattern of being variable over time and involving more than one body system. By contrast, the two main characteristics of these ‘mystery syndromes’ are their consistency and specificity. Second, the provisional diagnoses listed in Box 1 rely on the history alone in the absence of objective confirmatory findings from examination and investigation. There is no reason to suppose that the same should not apply to the unsolved mystery syndromes. Third, doctors are not yet infallible, so it can be presumed that some of the symptoms that are ‘medically unexplained’ may well reflect organic disease15.

These mystery syndromes are by definition not common, but cumulatively they pose a substantial challenge to medical practice since they generate repeated consultations and investigation. They can also cause considerable distress, both from the symptoms themselves and from the failure to establish a diagnosis—especially when doctors imply that ‘medically unexplained’ is equivalent to ‘psychological’.

Now why isn't he Science Editor at the Telegraph?

Bob

Dr James Le Fanu has published a follow-up discussion re ME/CFS in the Telegraph. I'll post the relevant letters below.

I've been told that the first letter (below) did not appear in the print addition. I'm not sure about the shorter letters.

I've also been told that Dr Le Fanu published more about ME/CFS in today's print edition that has not appeared online, as far as i'm aware. I was told that he mentioned research from Newcastle, amongst other stuff, but i can't remember all the details.

Dr James Online Clinic 13th November 2015
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbeing/health-advice/dr-james-online-clinic-16-nov/

A Reader said:
Dear Dr Le Fanu,

Thank you for your sensible article on chronic fatigue syndrome or myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS). It's refreshing to read common-sense reporting about the illness rather than baseless hyperbole that has no relevance to patients' lives. For wide-ranging reasons, the lives of patients, such as myself, are actually harmed by misguided claims that exercise and positive thinking can cure the illness.

As you reported, a Telegraph front-page article had claimed that exercise and positive thinking can cure ME/CFS. However, the study in question did not actually investigate exercise. It investigated a therapy known as graded exercise therapy, that involved carefully managing activity levels, starting with a reduction in activity levels. After establishing a sustainable baseline of activity, patients were encouraged to carefully, incrementally and gradually increase activity . If symptoms flared up then activity levels could be reduced to avoid problems. Activities could include simple stretching exercises or walking a few steps.

There is a wide consensus that exercise can be harmful for ME/CFS patients and can lead to a profound and long term increase in symptoms. This feature of the illness is commonly known as post-exertional malaise, and can involve an exacerbation of all the symptoms involved in ME/CFS, such as exhaustion, pain, flu-like symptoms, cognitive impairment. This reaction can happen even after minimal exertion. Many patients have reported experiencing a severe and profound long-term deterioration in their illness after over exertion, so to be told that exercise can cure the illness, is not just wrong, it's dangerous. Patients can't rely on their care providers to have read the scientific literature, so we need accurate reporting. Misleading reporting can and does lead to conflict between patients and clinicians because of a widespread ignorance about the nature of the illness.

If cancer patients or multiple sclerosis patients or Parkinson's disease patients were told that positive thinking and a bit of exercise could lead to a cure, there would rightly be widespread outrage. But apparently it's OK to say it about ME/CFS patients. Patients are left wondering why this is. We conclude that we're an easy target because of the ignorance surrounding the illness. Because the illness is not understood, and the symptoms are not obvious except to the patients, and there are no biomarkers for the disease, it's easy to blame the patient for their invisible illness. ME/CFS patients are an easy target for ignorant attitudes. Negative experiences of patients within the health care system are widespread and easy to come across online. The negative experiences range from casually dismissive attitudes to downright hostility. When newspaper articles suggest that a positive attitude and some exercise will cure you, this is an extension of the widespread ignorance. It also perpetuates the ignorance. Such advice is infantile and borne of a refusal to engage with patients or to consider the scientific literature.

There is evidence that demonstrates that exercise causes an unusual or unique physiological and biological reaction in ME/CFS patients. In a two day cardiopulmonary exercise test, patients are worse at performance (e.g. on measures such as oxygen uptake and metabolism) on the second day whereas deconditioned patients perform the same or better on the second day. This is because symptoms are exacerbated by exertion. Genetic expression has a unique profile after exercise in ME/CFS patients.

ME/CFS fluctuates over time, and there are different levels of impairment between patients. To suggest that ME/CFS patients have a negative attitude and never engage in activity is deeply ignorant and implies that patients are not really ill but are just lazy people who have given up on life. However, mildly affected patients often continue to work, and battle hard to overcome their limitations. They struggle intensely, and weekends can consist entirely of lying in bed recuperating. These are not lazy deconditioned people with a negative attitude. I challenge you to find more motivated people with a better attitude. Even moderately affected patients, even though they are often house bound with intense exhaustion and pain, can get out of the house on a good day to meet a friend or to buy some groceries. They are not deconditioned; they are ill. Activity levels are increased as symptoms allow, and a sudden crash will result in an adaptive reduction of activity, just as you would reduce your activity levels if you had a bout of flu. Severely affected patients are mainly bedbound and have to cope with intense pain, cognitive symptoms and exhaustion. Studies have shown that quality of life measures in ME/CFS patients are worse than in many other severe illnesses, such as rheumatoid arthritis, chronic renal failure, angina, and type 1 and 2 diabetes.

Since becoming ill, I have met the most inspiring people from all walks of life, who were suddenly struck with a flu-like illness that never left them. People leading successful, dynamic, happy lives. I've met doctors, teachers, scientists, nurses, journalists, business managers. I was a nursing assistant, and I became ill during a shift, never to recover. The patient community cares for each other because we have to overcome the all-too-common negative attitudes from health care providers, medical authorities and the media. And I have met wonderful people with brilliant attitudes, with a range of illness severity.

Imagine waking up one morning. You have flu. You can't stand up because of weakness. Your head is spinning. You can't think clearly. Your joints ache. It's OK, you think, it's just flu so you'll take a few days off work. Two weeks later, you are still ill, so you scrape yourself of the sofa and crawl to the doctor. It's OK, she says, it's just a cold. It will pass. Another two weeks go by. You are worried. Why isn't it improving? Everything you do makes you collapse into a heap of exhaustion. The doctor says you're exaggerating. It will pass. Another month, and you're bewildered, frightened, lonely. You attempt a disastrous return to work. What's happening? A year later, after little change, you get a diagnosis. Ten years later you're still ill. Welcome to the world of an ME/CFS patient. It can happen to anyone, and does happen to anyone. The illness does not discriminate.

A few days ago, the Telegraph reported that a recent study, known at the PACE trial, found that exercise and positive thinking would cure ME/CFS patients of their symptoms. But, not only did the study not investigate exercise or positive thinking, but also the results of the study were not as reported. On close inspection of the results, it seems that graded exercise therapy and cognitive behavioural therapy were no better than usual care. They had no treatment benefit at long term follow up. It turns out that the Telegraph was reporting spin, rather than facts. The therapies made no difference. If a patient hadn't received the therapies, they'd be in exactly the same state of health as if they had received the therapies two years ago. How, from this, did the Telegraph conclude that exercise cures ME/CFS?
Dr James Le Fanu said:
Dear Anon,

Thanks for being in touch with that detailed account on the contributory role of exercise in exacerbating the symptoms of ME/CFS. I would be very grateful if you could let me have the reference for the paper you mention that demonstrates ‘exercise causes a unique physical reaction in CFS patients’.

A Reader said:
Dear Dr James,

I was a senior nursing sister in psychiatry and developed ME 18 years ago following a dreadful virus. I have been mortified by the psychiatric lobby over the years who have suggested this illness is at best a psychiatric disorder or at worst "all in the mind". Were it as simple as a psychiatric illness then at least some help and support is available!

I spent seven years housebound and largely bed bound with crushing persistent migraines and dreadful debilitating physical and cognitive problems. There is literally no help or understanding, luckily I have a super husband and son, without them I don't think I could have gone on. Thankfully I have improved but have to manage my activities with extreme precision.

I felt utterly crushed by the headline in the Telegraph last week reporting an old outdated and flawed study by yet again the psychiatric lobby. It is difficult enough trying to have some semblance of normality and understanding by friends and family without being portrayed as some lazy good for nothing person who just wants to get up exercise and think positively to be cured. Prior to the virus I was always busy and was a cross country runner for Lincolnshire and very much an outdoors person.

Thank you so very much for putting an accurate perspective on this cruel and devastating disease, perhaps the Telegraph can publish an an accurate account of recent biomed research on their front page to counter the disgraceful and cheap reporting of last week.

Again many thanks

Kind Regards

Trish M
Dr James Le Fanu said:
Dear Trish M,

Thanks for being in touch. The ‘psychiatric lobby’, as you describe it, is seriously culpable in its resistance to the proposition that there has to be a physical basis to CFS/ME to cause such devastating symptoms. There has, as you will see, been a lot of correspondence on this matter.

A Reader said:
Dear Dr Le Fanu,

I felt I had to write to you with regard to my own experience of post viral fatigue syndrome. 27 years ago I went down with glandular fever (l was 42 at the time), 3 months later the glandular fever was gone (no painful glands or throat) but I felt infinitely worse. Some days I could barely lift my head off the pillow, desperately tired but not sleeping at all well. I felt so lacking in energy it was an effort to stand. I went to my doctor and told him all this and he immediately said "whereas we couldn't do anything about the glandular fever, we can do something about this". He asked if was sleeping, to which I answered no. He then said he was going to prescribe antidepressants which would help me sleep. I protested that I wasn't depressed and he agreed I was not mentally depressed but my body was physically depressed. So I took the tablets (Tryptizol) I think. I was told to take one that night and if I didn't sleep, to take 2 the following night and if I still didn't sleep to take 3. I couldn't bring myself to take 3 but after 2 weeks I started to regain little energy, went back to the doctor who asked if I was sleeping now, to which I replied no so he told me to take 3 tablets. That night I did as I was told and the next morning I woke up and I was me again. It was extraordinary. Gradually I had the confidence to go round a supermarket, to play a round of golf. All triumphs. Within 4 months I was weaned off the tablets and haven't looked back. I cannot thank my doctor enough for what he did for me. Without his remarkable help I would probably have missed out on a very large chunk of my life.

With kind regards,

Sue R
Dr James Le Fanu said:
Dear Sue R,

Thanks for being in touch with your account of the dramatic improvement of your CFS with tryptizol - by obviously improving your sleep pattern. The current official view, as you will know, holds that this class of drug is no benefit. I will be mentioning this in the column for the benefit of others.

Last edited: