• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rod Liddle 2nd ME article in The Spectator ‘The ME lobby is just a symptom of our stupidity about me

charles shepherd

No surprise here after all the dreadful press coverage of the PACE trial results

Those who have seen Rod on the telly will know that there is little point in trying to engage in constructive debate with this hack

So at this point, there's very little point in going down the route of trying to debate with him

Suggestions on how to deal with Rod welcome….

aimossy

Maybe get Wessely to deal with him. Its a perfect example to Wessely what PACE is causing. Surely this guy is going against what Wessely says he believes himself.

I suspect that Wessely and Sharpe etc welcome the extreme articles in the media right now. What Michael Sharpe did was to be interviewed by a journalist and publicly correct the articles that say 'CFS' is not real and that all that's needed to recover is exercise and positivity. So then Sharpe sounded reasonable and moderate by comparison, whilst claiming the moral high ground, whilst praising PACE CBT/GET. . Crafty.

skipskip30

No surprise here after all the dreadful press coverage of the PACE trial results

Those who have seen Rod on the telly will know that there is little point in trying to engage in constructive debate with this hack

So at this point, there's very little point in going down the route of trying to debate with him

Suggestions on how to deal with Rod welcome….

I think you are doing the right thing by avoiding him. Hes basically a troll that posts his hateful nonsense everywhere rather than just online. Dont engage with him at all if possible as you cant win with people like that.

I suppose the only possible way to deal with him is via his bosses or the regulating authorities (bad brain fog today so i cant think of the right name for them!). It seems unlikely anything would be done about him though so I wonder if hes just best ignored completely.

The people that like him are probably beyond help anyway unfortunately.

Gijs

It seems a sort of hate campaign by journalists. Another canard. A good example of sewage journalism. This man has very serious mental health problems. He projects his hatred on an easy target. Sad figure. Nevertheless: ignore this clown.

user9876

I suspect that Wessely and Sharpe etc welcome the extreme articles in the media right now. What Michael Sharpe did was to be interviewed by a journalist and publicly correct the articles that say 'CFS' is not real and that all that's needed to recover is exercise and positivity. So then Sharpe sounded reasonable and moderate by comparison, whilst claiming the moral high ground, whilst praising PACE CBT/GET. . Crafty.

Its not really very crafty to spin a journalist a story and then attack them for taking up the spin. I would hope it would drive a wedge between journalists and the SMC and hence journalists might ask a few more questions.

Chrisb

It's worth noting that Fraser Nelson, as editor of The Spectator, has commissioned material from Simon Wessely (link), so there's a good chance that Wessely and Nelson (and quite possibly Liddle) have shared a table at The Ivy, or wherever the hell these people go these days.

Probably best ignored.[/QUOTE

I always find it surprising, and have been reminded by your link, that in 1987 Wesseley was a trainee psychiatrist but that by 1988 he was apparently writing authoritatively on PVFS and that the views expressed by him were accorded
greater authority than those of the people who had been carrying out proper, if not entirely successful research, for many years. Friends in high places. Is that the chief benefit of a Cambridge education?