• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Multiple sclerosis patient walks after taking HIV drugs

natasa778

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-34659771

About a year ago, Miss Pezaro thought she may have been exposed to HIV and her doctor prescribed emergency antiretroviral drugs.

"Three days after I took the drugs I walked up a flight of stairs," she said.

"That was an unbelievable, massive change."

Prof Julian Gold from the Prince of Wales Hospital in Sydney, saw a video of Miss Pezaro climbing the stairs and a clinical trial was set up to look at the impact of single or combination antiretroviral drugs on MS patients.

An earlier study led by Dr Gold conducted with Queen Mary University, London and the University of Oxford showed an association between HIV and MS.

They reported antiretroviral treatment may suppress other viruses such as those which may cause MS.

Dr Gold said: "The next stage of the investigation is to use a very similar combination [of HIV drugs] that Shana took. I think that might be quite optimistic."

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Interesting , matches up well with research showing t cells being treated with an ebv vaccine and reinfused to treat ebv and reverse ms symptoms . Very interesting correlation between viral/ebv infection and autoimmunity/autoinflammatory . Or is autoimmunity/autoinflammatory a chronic infection the immune system cant clear??

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
"HIV infection is associated with a significantly decreased risk of developing MS."
http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/early/2014/07/16/jnnp-2014-307932.short?g=w_jnnp_ahead_tab

Well that's good to know.

From my n = 1, HIV infection has not prevented me from developing m.e.

So it would seem, from only my n = 1, that the antiretrovirals I take have also not prevented me from developing m.e.

Perhaps it was the particular combination of ARVs that is important.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I only glanced at the article but does it mention the specific arvs. I know somehave a broader range of effects and are active againstother viruses such as ebv, hepB, Ev and im sure others to.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't see where anyone said wheelchair bound patients would walk again. Did I miss that somewhere?

More about early intervention to prevent that in the first place.