• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Started the Fredd's Protocol Sunday, but today had a horrible reaction

I started Fredd' Protocol on Sunday. I was already taking fish oil 3x a day, a B12 from Costco, Vitamin D 5000iu, Curcumin, and TMG (all doctor ordered). I added (and quit taking the Costco B12):
vit c
zinc
calcium magnesium
potassium citrate 99mg
Methyl B12 5000mg
Dibencozide w/ folic (3000 mcg)
Solgar folate (800 mcg)
Gamma E Complex
B-Right Complex (2 a day)

I was fine until today. I got incredibly nauseous, brain fog, racing heart, headache, and dizziness. It came on very suddenly. I ate the bananas and feel much better (still brain foggy, but functional).

I'm guessing I blew it and did too much too soon and caused a potassium drop? My plan is to cut back to my normal daily vitamins (D, curcumin, fish oil, TMG) plus magnesium, the methylB12, the folate, and up to three potassium a day. I'll eventually replace the folic acid pills (I didn't read the updated protocol). Does this sound like a better plan? Thanks!

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I was fine until today. I got incredibly nauseous, brain fog, racing heart, headache, and dizziness. It came on very suddenly. I ate the bananas and feel much better (still brain foggy, but functional).

That sounds like what happened to me at the start of the treatment when my body needed potassium (except I didn't get the racing heart or headache.) I started with 99mg potassium pills but quickly switched to potassium gluconate powder because I had to take up to 3.5 grams per day (=35 pills.)

I found that I needed the potassium every couple of hours, and more in the middle of the night. It went on like this for the entire time I was on the treatment (9 months.) My potassium demand was highest when taking L-Carnitine Fumarate.

Be careful taking more than 20mg of B1, B2, or B3 per day because it can cause a very high potassium demand. B-Right contains 25mg of B1 and B2, and 100mg of B3 in a single capsule.

Freddd has recommended this b-complex. When I was on the treatment I took 1/2 a tablet per day to take the niacin down to 25mg (it has 50mg per tablet.)

Thank you for the advice PatJ! I will cut out the B-right and look into the other supplement you mentioned. I got some coconut water to chug and feel pretty much normal again.

I think the headache and racing heart was just from the sudden body stress. It might have induced a mini panic attack. I get stress panic attacks sometimes because I have Hashimotos.

Johnmac

I think taking folate instead of methylfolate on the FP can be quite a big problem too.

Hopefully others with more knowledge will confirm & elucidate.

I also use the B supp PatJ uses (on Fred's recommendation), for the reasons PatJ gave.

Many of us crash & burn in our early attempts at the FP, each in our own special way. It usually comes from not doing it right. I didn't make the mistakes you made - mine were to do with too much LCF, & above all not ramping up to prevent paradoxical folate deficiency.

dannybex

Be careful taking more than 20mg of B1, B2, or B3 per day because it can cause a very high potassium demand. B-Right contains 25mg of B1 and B2, and 100mg of B3 in a single capsule.

While there is a hypothesis out there that thiamine and potassium needs are interrelated, some people take (and need) very high doses of B1, just as one example, and do well on it with no additional potassium. At least no additional supplemental potassium. And if one has kidney issues, then potassium and magnesium need to be restricted.

And if one has blood sugar issues or pre-diabetes (metabolic syndrome) then the need for B1 will be higher as well.

It's also important to remember that we're all different. Fred suffered several concussions and was in a bad auto accident. In several other places he mentions that his father was a dentist and he played with mercury as a child. These factors may be the reason he requires much, much higher doses of b12 and folate and lower doses of other components.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...utes-healing-of-me-cfs-fms.31801/#post-489913