• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unfolded Protein Response and A Possible Treatment for CFS

mariovitali

Please have a look at the following chart, which gives a Graph for Weather Conditions in my area :

Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 10.49.55.png

On October 22th i had no Symptoms but all of a sudden (without having a Cold) i noticed that i had Body chills. In the afternoon i realised i had Fever but couldn't really tell how much because i was at work.

After coming home and taking my Temp, it was 38.5C = 101.3 F

Under other circumstances i would expect that i had a virus..but not so fast.

At the beginning of the Thread i discussed many times that Weather changes are affecting me, especially when Weather deteriorates. This would bring me problems *every time* there was a deterioration BEFORE the actual Weather deterioration, sometimes 12 hours before.

What i hypothesize happened in this case is that Thermoregulation has been affected because i got a really nasty hit by Oxidative Stress. As discussed there was Severe Weather (including a Twister which is unheard of around here) on the 23th of October, notice the Change in Wind and Drop of Temperature on the Chart.

The "flu" lasted only one day, i had no cough, no running nose. So no other typical Flu symptoms apart from Fever.

Upon looking at Pubmed :

Role of afferent pathways of heat and cold in body temperature regulation.
Nomoto S1, Shibata M, Iriki M, Riedel W.
Author information

Abstract
The detection of surface and internal temperatures is achieved by axons terminating at lamina I of the spinal dorsal horn, otherwise approached only by nociceptive afferents. Recent advances in thermal physiology research have disclosed that temperature-sensitive ion channels belonging to the "transient receptor potential" family exist in the peripheral sensory neurons and in the brain. Thermosensory, nociceptive and polymodal afferents project to different thalamic nuclei, and specific pathways to the insular cortex evoke the conscious experience of thermal sensation. The posterior insular region represents discriminative thermal sensation, while the largest correlation with subjective ratings of temperature is located in the orbitofrontal and anterior insular cortex. The insular cortex forms an integrative part of the limbic system and is closely tied with the hypothalamus, the amygdala, the anterior cingulate cortex and the orbitofrontal cortex and emerges as the main coordinator of behavioral, autonomic and endocrine responses to both non-noxious and noxious thermal stimuli. The firing rate of warm and cold receptors is not altered by pyrogens. A strong correlation between the onset of fever and production of superoxide by macrophages following the injection of pyrogens implicates reactive oxygen species as elicitors of fever, a hypothesis strengthened by the observation that oxygen radical scavengers or thiol reductants act as antipyretics. Oxidative stress appears to be sensed by the brain and a likely structure for its detection may be the redox-sensitive site of the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor for glutamate, in that oxidation of this site causes fever while its reduction lowers body temperature, effects which are abrogated by specific NMDA receptor blockers.

mariovitali

@skwag

If this is not a hassle/extra cost could you also test for GGT and LDH for your Liver function?

GGT may be especially important, i will post why shortly as soon as i have a new round of Results out.

Violeta

I don't have GGT or LDH. Everything else you list was within range when it was tested earlier this year. The only thing notable was that Bilirubin was at the very top of the acceptable range. The Doc told me I was perfectly healthy.

Ha ha! Drinking and me don't mix anymore, unfortunately. I think I've had two beers all year and both were mistakes. I haven't had anything to drink during this trial.

Thanks much for your program results.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3029864

Bilirubin is an antioxidant of possible physiological importance.

jump44

@mariovitali or anyone else following the regimine- do you guys take a b complex? Ive seen/read conflicting info on wether this is a good idea or not. Also, what are your thougths on caffeine? For me, I can drink a coffee or a red bull a few times a week, but if I go consecutive 3 or 4 days I find it really really messes with me. Just wondered what your experience was with this and if it can raise ER stress or oxidative stress.

Edit also to add since its being discussed above that Ive had consistently elevated bilirubin throughout my ordeal. In no way that I know of has it been beneficial lol, especially seeing as I have right sided pain as Ive documented and can occasionally be somewhat jaundiced if I dont get enough sleep or do the wrong things diet wise/alcohol too much.

Last edited:

jump44

Found some stuff online that said coffee may be protective against ER stress. Hmm maybe its affecting me negatively in some other way. Could be the low quality of the stuff I drink from starbucks. Maybe good organic coffee would be better.Like I said I can tolerate it a few times a week but anymore consecutively and It is quite harmful. Or my liver just doesnt process it quickly enough.

Ema

Low blood bilirubin level: possible diagnostic and prognostic importance
Review article
Shcherbinina MB. Klin Med (Mosk). 2007.
Show full citation
Abstract
The review deals with the problem of a possible physiological role of bilirubin as an endogenous anti-oxidant. The author considers low blood bilirubin level to be a risk factor of coronary artery disease (CAD) as well as a phenomenon observed in seasonal depression, diseases accompanied by non-hemolytic anemia etc. Mean bilirubin level in blood in such cases is within a narrow interval, between 0 and 10 mcmol/l. Circulating bilirubin is considered to protect human tissues from peroxidation of organic compounds, lipids first of all. Mechanisms that give rise to this phenomenon are probably diverse and not well-studied yet. Processes of the formation of free oxygen and peroxide radicals are known to take place in numerous pathological conditions. Low bilirubin level in blood may prove to be a significant marker for the evaluation of the general anti-oxidant status of the human organism. This parameter may, alone or in combination with other factors, make it possible to distinguish individuals with a risk of CAD as well as to predict the appearance or peculiarities of certain diseases.

skwag

Hi jump44,
@mariovitali or anyone else following the regimine- do you guys take a b complex? Ive seen/read conflicting info on wether this is a good idea or not.
Yeah, I take one Nature Made B-complex with Vitamin C daily along with methylfolate and additional B5. And both active vitamin b12s of course. I am really still on Freddd's protocol. I think the only way to know if this is a good idea for you is to try. If you do head in this direction, I would also suggest taking your time and reading up on Freddd's protocol prior to starting, so that you might better handle any negative reactions.
Also, what are your thougths on caffeine? For me, I can drink a coffee or a red bull a few times a week, but if I go consecutive 3 or 4 days I find it really really messes with me. Just wondered what your experience was with this and if it can raise ER stress or oxidative stress.
I have about a cup a day now. In the past I drank much more, but I'm not convinced that cutting down has been beneficial. On the other hand, I am a fast metabolizer of caffeine. I used to drink coffee right up until bedtime and have no trouble sleeping.

mariovitali

@jump44

No i do not take any B complex, i just take what is needed. Perhaps in the future i will try though. Regarding coffee i drink two cups.

@Ema

I didn't have Bilirubin in my PubMed Topics. However when i tried to match Bilirubin to my existing PubMed concepts i got this. Notice how many Topics it matches :

ggt.csv = gamma-glutamyltransferase
car.csv = constitutive androstane receptor
pxr.csv = pregnane x receptor

*********Topic : bilirubin ***************
udpgluc.csv : 17.72 %
ggt.csv : 11.69 %
cholestasis.csv : 9.38 %
hepatotoxicity.csv : 5.97 %
bile_acid.csv : 5.21 %
liver_injury.csv : 4.64 %
car.csv : 4.52 %
tudca.csv : 3.78 %
uric_acid.csv : 2.44 %
pxr.csv : 2.42 %
reduced_glutathione.csv : 1.89 %
hepatocytes.csv : 1.50 %
hsc.csv : 1.47 %
steatohepatitis.csv : 1.45 %
taurine.csv : 1.41 %
oxidative_stress_markers.csv : 1.38 %
oxidative_stress_protection.csv : 1.14 %
mucuna.csv : 1.10 %
nafld.csv : 0.97 %
pantethine.csv : 0.90 %
catalase.csv : 0.87 %
nrf2.csv : 0.78 %
nac.csv : 0.67 %
asymmetric_dimethylarginine.csv : 0.65 %
potassium_levels.csv : 0.63 %
cyp2e1.csv : 0.63 %
niacin.csv : 0.62 %
redox_homeostasis.csv : 0.60 %
protease_inhibitor.csv : 0.59 %
vitamin_k.csv : 0.58 %
cyp7b1.csv : 0.58 %
sshl.csv : 0.56 %
creatine_supplementation.csv : 0.56 %
cyp1a2.csv : 0.55 %
3betahsd.csv : 0.53 %
curcumin.csv : 0.52 %
cyp3a4.csv : 0.49 %
inducible_nos.csv : 0.49 %
nox4.csv : 0.46 %
lipoic_acid.csv : 0.45 %
riboflavin.csv : 0.45 %
choline_deficiency.csv : 0.43 %
urea_cycle.csv : 0.42 %
intestinal_motility.csv : 0.41 %
d-limonene.csv : 0.41 %
cyp1a1.csv : 0.41 %
sulforaphane.csv : 0.39 %
are.csv : 0.39 %
nadph.csv : 0.39 %
p450oxidoreductase.csv : 0.39 %
xanthine_oxidase.csv : 0.39 %
phospholipid_human.csv : 0.39 %
zinc_supplementation.csv : 0.38 %
triiodothyronine_levels.csv : 0.38 %
pqq.csv : 0.38 %
caloric_restriction.csv : 0.38 %
mitochondrial_dysfunction.csv : 0.37 %
cyp27a1.csv : 0.37 %
inflammatory_response.csv : 0.36 %
peroxynitrite.csv : 0.35 %
redox_regulation.csv : 0.35 %
monosodium_glutamate.csv : 0.34 %
ros.csv : 0.34 %
glutamate.csv : 0.33 %
l_tryptophan.csv : 0.32 %
nqo1.csv : 0.32 %
sulfite_oxidase.csv : 0.31 %
hydroxysteroid_dehydrogenase.csv : 0.31 %
human_proteinuria.csv : 0.31 %
pregnenolone.csv : 0.30 %
redox_potential.csv : 0.30 %
udpglcnac.csv : 0.29 %
isotretinoin.csv : 0.29 %
phosphatidylcholine.csv : 0.29 %
hmgb1.csv : 0.28 %
sarcosine.csv : 0.28 %
l_carnitine.csv : 0.28 %
iron_deficiency.csv : 0.28 %
ebv.csv : 0.27 %
il_10.csv : 0.27 %
resveratrol.csv : 0.26 %
neuronal_nos.csv : 0.25 %
ckd.csv : 0.25 %
selenium.csv : 0.24 %
h2o2.csv : 0.24 %
freet3.csv : 0.24 %
osmolytes.csv : 0.23 %
nad.csv : 0.23 %
excitotoxicity.csv : 0.22 %
rituximab.csv : 0.22 %
systemic_amyloidosis.csv : 0.22 %
n-acetylglucosamine.csv : 0.22 %
hmgcoa.csv : 0.21 %
coenzymeq10.csv : 0.21 %
chop.csv : 0.21 %
omega3.csv : 0.20 %
choline.csv : 0.20 %
ginkgo.csv : 0.20 %
cortisol_levels.csv : 0.19 %
cfs.csv : 0.18 %
neuroinflammation.csv : 0.17 %
probiotics.csv : 0.17 %
l-arginine.csv : 0.17 %
endothelial_nos.csv : 0.17 %
fad.csv : 0.16 %
subclinicalhypo.csv : 0.16 %
bradycardia.csv : 0.16 %
beta-alanine.csv : 0.16 %
vcam-1.csv : 0.16 %
cimetidine.csv : 0.15 %
microglia.csv : 0.15 %
cofactor.csv : 0.15 %
selenium_deficiency.csv : 0.15 %
calcium_homeostasis.csv : 0.15 %
cortisol.csv : 0.15 %
constipation.csv : 0.15 %
er_stress.csv : 0.14 %
scfa.csv : 0.14 %
hsp70.csv : 0.14 %
peroxiredoxin.csv : 0.14 %
xbp1.csv : 0.14 %
glutaredoxin.csv : 0.14 %
glycoproteins.csv : 0.13 %
hexosamine.csv : 0.13 %
fmo3.csv : 0.13 %
crohns_disease.csv : 0.13 %
mthfr.csv : 0.13 %
heat_shock_protein.csv : 0.13 %
immune_response.csv : 0.13 %
peristalsis.csv : 0.13 %
vitamin_d3.csv : 0.13 %
flavoprotein.csv : 0.13 %
butyrate.csv : 0.13 %
advanced_glycation_end.csv : 0.13 %
insulin_resistance.csv : 0.12 %
cox-2.csv : 0.12 %
fmn.csv : 0.12 %
nadh_dehydrogenase.csv : 0.12 %
cyp2d6.csv : 0.12 %
dhea.csv : 0.12 %
rxr.csv : 0.12 %
glycerylphosphorylcholine.csv : 0.12 %
upr.csv : 0.12 %
hypobaric_hypoxia.csv : 0.11 %
mcp-1.csv : 0.11 %
pyruvate_carboxylase.csv : 0.11 %
hgh.csv : 0.11 %
p5p.csv : 0.11 %
adrenal_insufficiency.csv : 0.11 %
perk.csv : 0.10 %
phosphatidylserine.csv : 0.10 %
amyloidosis.csv : 0.10 %
gluten.csv : 0.10 %
pbmc.csv : 0.10 %
tmao.csv : 0.10 %
stat1.csv : 0.09 %
l_tyrosine.csv : 0.09 %
tetrahydrobiopterin.csv : 0.09 %
sod1.csv : 0.09 %
molybdenum.csv : 0.09 %
norepinephrine.csv : 0.09 %
redox_cofactor.csv : 0.09 %
thioredoxin.csv : 0.08 %
phenylketonuria.csv : 0.08 %
gtp_cyclohydrolase.csv : 0.08 %
mastocytosis.csv : 0.08 %
neurite_outgrowth.csv : 0.08 %
caspase_human.csv : 0.08 %
misfolded_proteins.csv : 0.08 %
serca.csv : 0.08 %
hydrogen_sulfide.csv : 0.08 %
serotonin_levels.csv : 0.08 %
angiotensin_human.csv : 0.08 %
amyloid.csv : 0.07 %
thermoregulation.csv : 0.07 %
pyrogen.csv : 0.07 %
adrenal_hyperplasia.csv : 0.07 %
atrial_fibrillation.csv : 0.07 %
tau.csv : 0.07 %
pantothenic_acid.csv : 0.06 %
insomnia.csv : 0.06 %
testosterone_production.csv : 0.06 %
biotin.csv : 0.06 %
monoamine_oxidase.csv : 0.06 %
urolithiasis.csv : 0.06 %
microbiome_humans.csv : 0.06 %
oxalates.csv : 0.06 %
d_aminoacid_oxidase.csv : 0.06 %
dolichol.csv : 0.06 %
dopamine.csv : 0.06 %
orthostatic_intolerance.csv : 0.06 %
gaba_human.csv : 0.06 %
nmda.csv : 0.06 %
gpr78.csv : 0.05 %
mast_cell_activation.csv : 0.05 %
adhd.csv : 0.05 %
acetyl_coa_carboxylase.csv : 0.05 %
exercise_intolerance.csv : 0.05 %
ampa.csv : 0.05 %
ed.csv : 0.05 %
glycosylation.csv : 0.05 %
lithium_treatment.csv : 0.05 %
pdi.csv : 0.05 %
steroidogenesis_human.csv : 0.05 %
magnesium_deficiency.csv : 0.05 %
phospholamban.csv : 0.05 %
l-dopa.csv : 0.04 %
autism.csv : 0.04 %
anhedonia.csv : 0.04 %
tinnitus.csv : 0.04 %
5-htp.csv : 0.04 %
inositol.csv : 0.04 %
p53.csv : 0.04 %
dysautonomia.csv : 0.03 %
histone_deacetylase.csv : 0.03 %
irritable_bowel.csv : 0.03 %
acetylcholine.csv : 0.03 %
ppp.csv : 0.03 %
sinusitis.csv : 0.03 %
sirt1.csv : 0.03 %
social_anxiety.csv : 0.03 %
kainate.csv : 0.03 %
human_semen.csv : 0.03 %
rar.csv : 0.03 %
limbic_system.csv : 0.02 %
5alphareductase.csv : 0.02 %
acetyl-coa.csv : 0.02 %
adrenergic_receptor.csv : 0.02 %
nachr.csv : 0.02 %
vitamin_b6.csv : 0.02 %
chaperones.csv : 0.02 %
ngf.csv : 0.02 %
dht.csv : 0.02 %
disulfide_bonds.csv : 0.01 %
p450scc.csv : 0.00 %
5mthf.csv : 0.00 %
panic_disorder.csv : 0.00 %
dpagt1.csv : 0.00 %
csad.csv : 0.00 %
pgc1.csv : 0.00 %
gnmt.csv : 0.00 %
ire1.csv : 0.00 %
sod2.csv : 0.00 %
nlinkedglycosylation.csv : 0.00 %
propionyl_coa_carboxylase.csv : 0.00 %
insp3.csv : 0.00 %
rls.csv : 0.00 %
cerebrovascular_amyloidosis.csv : 0.00 %
ero1.csv : 0.00 %
hpa_axis.csv : 0.00 %
finasteride.csv : 0.00 %
atf6.csv : 0.00 %
esr1.csv : 0.00 %
benfotiamine.csv : 0.00 %
tocotrienol.csv : 0.00 %
sod3.csv : 0.00 %
baroreceptor.csv : 0.00 %
o-glcnacylation.csv : 0.00 %
fads2.csv : 0.00 %
d_serine.csv : 0.00 %
fads1.csv : 0.00 %
atf4.csv : 0.00 %
oxidative_protein_folding.csv : 0.00 %
allopregnanolone.csv : 0.00 %
erad.csv : 0.00 %
ptp1b.csv : 0.00 %
cyp1b1.csv : 0.00 %
3methylcrotonyl_coa_carboxylase.csv : 0.00 %
dihydroprogesterone.csv : 0.00 %
floaters.csv : 0.00 %
resistant_starch.csv : 0.00 %
sirt2.csv : 0.00 %
akr1d1.csv : 0.00 %
o-glcnac.csv : 0.00 %
star.csv : 0.00 %
sirt3.csv : 0.00 %
srd5a3.csv : 0.00 %
trpv.csv : 0.00 %

mariovitali

I have a new Output from the "Associations Discovery" Analysis.

Notice NQO1 and NRF2 on top of the results.

'are' = Antioxidant Response Element

association_analysis.png

Violeta

@mariovitali or anyone else following the regimine- do you guys take a b complex? Ive seen/read conflicting info on wether this is a good idea or not. Also, what are your thougths on caffeine? For me, I can drink a coffee or a red bull a few times a week, but if I go consecutive 3 or 4 days I find it really really messes with me. Just wondered what your experience was with this and if it can raise ER stress or oxidative stress.

Edit also to add since its being discussed above that Ive had consistently elevated bilirubin throughout my ordeal. In no way that I know of has it been beneficial lol, especially seeing as I have right sided pain as Ive documented and can occasionally be somewhat jaundiced if I dont get enough sleep or do the wrong things diet wise/alcohol too much.

No, high bilirubin isn't a good thing, just as high uric acid isn't a good thing, or high estrogen. But if the bilirubin is acting as an antioxidant, then it might be saving you from something worse. So I guess you have to figure out how to lower oxidants so your bilirubin can go down.

Violeta

Found some stuff online that said coffee may be protective against ER stress. Hmm maybe its affecting me negatively in some other way. Could be the low quality of the stuff I drink from starbucks. Maybe good organic coffee would be better.Like I said I can tolerate it a few times a week but anymore consecutively and It is quite harmful. Or my liver just doesnt process it quickly enough.

I don't have the answer to this, but I do know that more than one of the supplements that help with ER stress are osmolytes. I think coffee is an osmolyte antagonist, (causes dehydration) Correct me if I'm wrong, somebody.

Last edited:

mariovitali

I don't have the answer to this, but I do know that more than one of the supplements that help with ER stress are osmolytes. I think coffee is an osmolyte antagonist, (causes dehydration) Correct me if I'm wrong, somebody.

I think that there are no "Osmolyte Antagonists". A Google search returns no results for it.

However you are right, the regimen contains many osmolytes : TMAO, Myo-Inositol, glycerophosphororylcholine, Taurine

mariovitali

I think this is VERY interesting and i had absolutely no idea...

A lot of people with CFS are trying to ameliorate Symptoms of the disease by healing the Gut. Well i think this has a reason :

How important is intestinal cytochrome P450 3A metabolism?

Cytochrome P450 3A (CYP3A) enzymes metabolize a wide variety of xenobiotics including many drugs. Because CYP3A is localized in both the liver and intestine, it can make a major contribution to the presystemic elimination of substrate drugs after oral administration (‘first-pass metabolism’). However, assessments of the relative importance of intestinal versus hepatic CYP3A-mediated first-pass metabolism have been difficult to make and are subject to extensive discussion. To assess systematically the relative contributions of the intestine and liver to first-pass metabolism in vivo, Cyp3a knockout mice expressing human CYP3A4 in the liver or intestine have recently been generated. Analysis of these mice, together with previous observations in humans, substantiates that intestinal CYP3A4 can operate independently of the liver as a highly efficient metabolic barrier during the uptake of various drugs from the intestine. We expect that the insights obtained with these mouse models will contribute to the development of better oral drugs and treatment regimens.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165614709000388

In other words, we have P450 in BOTH Liver AND the Gut.

This is why people feel better by healing the Gut. Healing the Gut probably means better functioning of P450.

So yet one more piece is added to the Puzzle and to the hypothesis of this Thread : Better Gut functioning leads to better P450 Functioning (?)

and also :

Impaired liver functions can lead to decreased drug biotransformation and is a function of the severity of the disease. Disease state that can impair liver function include hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, biliary cirrhosis and hepatocarcinoma. Infection can also alter drug biotransformation. There have been reports of impaired drug elimination during viral infections such as influenza, rhino virus, adenovirus, herpes simplex virus and infectious mononucleosis.

http://minf.vub.ac.be/~fabi/edu/3degraad/HIV/cytochrome.html

Recall My Theory about having a Stressor that impairs Liver Function. Add to this the possibility of CYP3A4 (or other) SNPs, impaired Intestinal Function (which may be affecting P450). Also add Methylation SNPs, Redox SNPs and finally ER Stress handling SNPs.

I am sure we all get the idea.

I have the following Risk Alleles on CYPs :

CYP1B1 L432 +/+
CYP2D6 S486T +/+
CYP2D6 100C>T +/+

Luckily i have no Risk Alleles in CYP3A4. If i had i would be in serious trouble.

Please look below what CYP3A4 metabolizes, do you see also Vitamin D3 ? :

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 23.42.10.png

Note no 18 : Oxidoreductase activity and Reduction of Flavins

Also please note that one of the things that are metabolized by CYP3A4 are MonoTerpenoids(No 15 shown above). Terpenoids have a unique ability to quench Free Radicals.

Last edited:

Violeta

I think that there are no "Osmolyte Antagonists". A Google search returns no results for it.

However you are right, the regimen contains many osmolytes : TMAO, Myo-Inositol, glycerophosphororylcholine, Taurine

Yeah, you won't find those two words together in a google search, it was just a different way to say that caffeine can cause dehydration, and osmolytes (Osmolytes are compounds affecting osmosis. They are soluble in the solution within a cell, or in the surrounding fluid, e.g. as plasmaosmolytes. They play a role in maintaining cell volume and fluid balance.) help prevent er stress by maintaining adequate fluid in the cells so that they don't overheat.

Violeta

Cell surface expression of an endoplasmic reticulum resident heat shock protein gp96 triggers MyD88-dependent systemic autoimmune diseases

Is it normal that TUDCA powder smells like nail polish remover?

I bought TUDCA (Brawn Nutrition).

After a few days taking it my Creatinkinase was at 20000 (U/l) :eek: (range 20 - 175)
and GOT (AST) was at 400 (U/l) (range 10 - 35)
and LDH was at 1000 (U/l) (range 140 - 250)

but I also introduced Resveratrol.
and why one should not take TUDCA with stimulants?

Im a bit terrified...

mariovitali

After a few days taking it my Creatinkinase was at 20000 (U/l) :eek: (range 20 - 175)

Im a bit terrified...

Yes TUDCA smells exactly like that.

Questions :

-Did you get yourself tested before TUDCA Administration? If yes, the results were normal previously? Or this is the first time that you tested AST and LDH?

How much TUDCA are you taking?

jump44

Im a bit terrified...

Where did you read or hear that one should not take TUDCA with stimulants? This is the first Ive heard of that.