• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is DMSO?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
What is it? I know it's used transdermally for pain. I remember some bad press it got.

also I read on s thread here it's sulfur so maybe it's not good with a cbs mutation. I have the mutation but I'm pretty sure it's Non expressing. I have no problem with sulfur foods. I also take molybdenum.

I'm getting pt for s bad shoulder and want a cream to add to my protocol One I found has dmso with arnica so I just wanted to check.

Please tag me. Thanks

Oh please dumb it down. I don't need technical info. Just basic so I can decide.

Martial

@minkeygirl The issues are with the industrial grade DMSO which is a wood solvent. Its used for certain medical conditions but the issue I believe is quality control, as a lot of non medical versions can be tainted with impurities. There are other things you can use with less risk like tiger balm.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Thanks @Martial. This is the stuff. Or I can get plain amica

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 18

Mary

Moderator Resource
@minkeygirl - a friend of mine with arthritis uses dmso she gets from Vitacost - she dilutes it with water and applies it topically, it's supposed to help with pain. I understand it will cause almost anything to be absorbed through the skin so you have to be careful if you handle any other substance while using dmso.

A cream I found which helps my shoulder is this: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Solutions-Glucosamine-MSM-Arnica-Liposome-Lotion-8-fl-oz-237-ml/645 - it has arnica and MSM and glucosamine, the arnica for pain and the MSM is anti-inflammatory and it feels very good. When my shoulder was worse, I would apply magnesium oil which helps with inflammation and then this cream on top of that, because the magnesium oil by itself would dry out my skin because of the chloride base. My sister with RA liked this MSM cream a lot for her joints.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Thanke. I don't use anything now foods. Everyone of their products has caused a reaction. It also has soy in it which I don't want.

I'm getting hand made chemical free stuff that only had what I want in it.

I just wanted to know about dmso.

Ema

The biggest risk with DMSO is that no one will come near you because you smell so bad. It's perfectly safe if you follow some simple common sense precautions. And it works. We used it on the horses and they don't know about placebos.

Wayne

The biggest risk with DMSO is that no one will come near you because you smell so bad

Might that also be the biggest benefit? :rolleyes::angel:

I've tried DMSO, and it definitely does work on localized pain. It also made me feel better overall. The transdermal qualities makes it excellent for any kind of product that you want readily absorbed through the skin and into the body.

But it's essential to stay away from any kind of air pollution, as it is also very readily absorbed into the body, which could possibly be catastrophic for anybody with MCS. I believe the transdermal effect lasts about 20 minutes after application, but you would need to double check that.​
-
EDIT -- Here's a good article on DMSO

DMSO: The Real Miracle Solution

Last edited:

pogoman

@minkeygirl
I bought pharmalogical grade DMSO off of Amazon almost two years ago to try on the muscle pain.
Later I bought a different brand of roll on DMSO to try.

DMSO by itself, didn't get any improvement.
However, googling found recipes for mixing Advil gelcaps, hand lotion and DMSO to rub on affected body parts.

I would make a small batch (about 3 days use) with 2 or 3 gelcaps into a shot glass and put on my hands and ankles before going to bed.

It did help altho I did stop after awhile because its messy and somewhat time consuming plus Advil jacks up my blood pressure over time.

I do have sulfur issues (septra, sulfur supplements etc) but didn't have any problems using DMSO and I did not get the smelly effect either.

I might try it again as the hand pain is becoming stronger after stopping prednisone.

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@pogoman I can't read most of your post because you didn't use paragraphs I did grab a word here and there.

I used some CBD oil this morning and had almost 90% relief of my pain. I bought some arnica massage oil from ebay to try since the CBD can amp me up. I'll have that maybe wednesday or thursday.

I'm not going to screw around with my own concoction. I don't have the energy for that. I do know that the you need at least 70% for DMSO to work. I want to roll out of bed and slap some stuff on. I don't want to have to wash, let something dry for a few hours.

I'm not sure how it would be with my CBS mutations. For now the CBD is a pleasant surprise.

pspa123

I have been intrigued off and on by DMSO, but have balked because of concerns about systemic absorption and even claims that it crosses the blood-brain barrier. It is said to be safe, but I don't know, has it really been tested?

eafw

I wouldn't touch this stuff, potentially far too much harm to be done if you get a bad batch or wrong dosing, or mishandle it. It does have some medicinal use, but the way it's promoted as a cure-all is a red flag for quackery there.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@pogoman thanks. Saw that roll on

@Ema. I saw one scented with rose that is supposed to take the stank away!

Since I have no friends, no one to scare lol. But me.

I'm having good luck with the CBD oil I have as I said. I could not take it orally, way to stimulating big easier topically. I don't think I can use it at night though

I'll see how the arnica goes. Why not be a guinea pig for DMSO? I do it with other stuff.

Ema

but the way it's promoted as a cure-all is a red flag for quackery there.
It's not a cure all, but it is a massive anti inflammatory that is way underused.

Like I said, it's used mostly on horses and in the veterinary world and they don't worry too much about quackery and just use what works.

mermaid

I buy some magnesium oil from Dr Myhill which is mixed with 20% DMSO to help it carry through the skin. As I can't tolerate Carnitine orally I mix some with the magnesium oil and rub it on my skin also.

pspa123

Thank you. Does it have any utility for tight muscles or is it more for inflammatory type pain?

Question: What if you applied DMSO to your skin in a house with moldy air, could you get mycotoxins deep into your body that way? That could probably kill (or completely ruin) someone with a mold allergy?

IreneF

What is it? I know it's used transdermally for pain. I remember some bad press it got.

also I read on s thread here it's sulfur so maybe it's not good with a cbs mutation. I have the mutation but I'm pretty sure it's Non expressing. I have no problem with sulfur foods. I also take molybdenum.

I'm getting pt for s bad shoulder and want a cream to add to my protocol One I found has dmso with arnica so I just wanted to check.

Please tag me. Thanks

Oh please dumb it down. I don't need technical info. Just basic so I can decide.
Here are dumbed down overviews:
http://www.healthline.com/health/what-is-dmso#takeaway5
https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/dimethylsulfoxide
A cynical overview: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/DMSO
A more technical one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide

About 40 years ago, when it was extremely popular, I knew someone who used it. It seemed kind of neutral in its effects--didn't hurt him but didn't really help him. He had some kind of problem with his forearms.