• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Norwegian paper on ME: "What exactly is myalgic encephalomyelitis?"

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'm not able to read very well at the moment but this looks like a good article and it gives CBT/GET a bit of a kicking.

Note that when they say that ME is a "somatic" disease, this is the opposite of "psychosomatic". "Somatic" means "of the body".

http://tidsskriftet.no/article/3404849/en_GB

At the end, the authors say:

"We are six professors who, in different ways, are all involved in issues related to myalgic encephalomyelitis. Some of us are medics and scientists who participate actively in research into the condition, while others are social scientists or ethicists who have taken a critical look at the literature in the field from a social and socio-medical perspective."

It's in the Norwegian medical journal, Tidsskrift for den norske lægeforening.

Thanks to IiME FB for the link.

Sidereal

However, the results of large user surveys conducted by patient associations in Norway (17) and the UK (18) are more clear-cut and surprisingly similar: Cognitive behavioural therapy had little or no effect in most, while a minority experienced either improvement or deterioration. For graded exercise therapy the results are discouraging: 66  % of patients surveyed in Norway and 56  % in the UK became worse, sometimes markedly so. Only 14  % of patients in Norway and 22  % in the UK experienced an improvement. Approximately seven out of ten patients in both studies found that pacing led to an improvement in their condition. The Cochrane and PACE studies (22, 23) are often used as grounds for recommending cognitive behavioural therapy for myalgic encephalomyelitis, but even these two studies show that cognitive behavioural therapy is helpful in only a minority of patients when compared to a control group and standard monitoring by a doctor.

snowathlete

I'm not able to read very well at the moment but this looks like a good article and it gives CBT/GET a bit of a kicking.

Note that when they say that ME is a "somatic" disease, this is the opposite of "psychosomatic". "Somatic" means "of the body".

http://tidsskriftet.no/article/3404849/en_GB

At the end, the authors say:

"We are six professors who, in different ways, are all involved in issues related to myalgic encephalomyelitis. Some of us are medics and scientists who participate actively in research into the condition, while others are social scientists or ethicists who have taken a critical look at the literature in the field from a social and socio-medical perspective."

It's in the Norwegian medical journal, Tidsskrift for den norske lægeforening.

Thanks to IiME FB for the link.

I think that's very helpful, for those not actually conducting research or running clinics, to look at it and say something about it on ethical/social-medical grounds. Wish more would do that, and perhaps this might encourage some to do so.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I think that's very helpful, for those not actually conducting research or running clinics, to look at it and say something about it on ethical/social-medical grounds. Wish more would do that, and perhaps this might encourage some to do so.

We desperately need more academics and clinicians to speak out publicly about the problems with CBT and GET.

trails

This article is a very good "primer" regarding some of the latest CFS/ME test findings; could be helpful to share with doctors, family members, etc.

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Flag_of_Norway.png

alex3619

How odd that this tiny little nation is repeatedly and powerfully giving larger western nations the medical ideology smack down that they deserve. Makes me want to visit.
I think this is needed in all of medicine if it is to both progress and begin to free itself from the excessive restrictions imposed by HMOs, insurance companies and "evidence based" institutions.

mango

One of the authors, Ola Didrik Saugstad, is a seriously heavyweight name in pediatrics. Advisor to the WHO, I believe. I was already aware that he has an interest in ME.

saugstad is doing a fantastic job! :thumbsup:

here's some more recent stuff from him (in norwegian):
http://www.radiofolgefonn.no/default.aspx?pageId=1&cmd=news&newsId=ttbDchub0LE%3d

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-v-GK4e0jjtNmNFb0IzNE9aVDQ/view?pli=1

https://radio.nrk.no/serie/ekko-hovedsending/MDSP25019815/05-10-2015#t=58m18s

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
It's so sad ME CFS patients are mistreated so badly by the medical, scientific and government agencies, we get excited about being believed, 46 years after their disease was classified as real by the W.H.O.

We are like starving prisoners (neglected patients) grateful for crumbs (common sense thinking).

It seems only the Norwegians (not a member of the EU) and a few private American clinics, e.g.Open Medicine Institute (OMI), can comply with common sense medical practice in an otherwise blind sea of idiocy (BPS theory CFS install the intractable discrimination policy virus of CBT GET into wider societies medical hard disk).