• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pains in calf.

Fuzzyhead

I keep getting a pain in my right calf at night for the last few weeks, like i have been exercising or stretched it too much (which i haven't). I am starting to get it through the day now too. Is this a vitamin or mineral deficiency? Been ill 14yrs and this is new.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I get pain in my right calf when I have blood pooling due to orthostatic intolerance. Does the pain subside when you've been lying down for awhile?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Magnesium (citrate or malate) has helped me to relieve muscle tightness and mild pain that I get in my legs at night. I need roughly 150mg. Some people need more.

Has anything changed in your daily routine that might have lead to this new pain? New meds, supplements, foods, stress?

halcyon

This happened to me as well a few weeks back. It disappeared a few days later, as quickly as it appeared.

For whatever reason, Melvin Ramsay singled out calf pain and neck pain as being the most prominent locations for myalgia in this disease.

PennyIA

Very interesting. I find I suffer from both low potassium and magnesium and taking the potassium supplement prescribed is helpful... while I can't seem to find a magnesium supplement that I can tolerate, I find Epsom salt baths are tremendously helpful for me.

And yeah... neck pain & calf pain has been one of my most consistent chronic pain locations.

ryan31337

Lower calf pain was the first recognisable symptom I had 20 years ago (alongside migraine) and has persisted ever since. For me its a throbbing, diffuse pain that is exacerbated by tiredness. Painkillers don't do much for it, but even small amounts of sleep will reduce it immediately. It is usually a good indication of the arrival & severity of PEM for me.

Luckily for me I've found that taking a good vitamin and mineral supplement has reduced the frequency/severity of it, along with frequent uncontrollable muscle twitching that I also experienced regularly. Potassium/magnesium insufficiency has been mentioned?

DeGenesis

Self Trigger point therapy using a ball has been the most effective treatment I've tried. It doesn't get to the root of why trigger points are being created repeatedly in my calve muscles, but it is good symptomatic treatment.