• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

isolated diastolic hypertension

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Hi guys

I would love some insight on the following

When supine, my blood pressure is normal.
However when sitting diastolic rises to 90, sometimes low 100. And is probably higher when walking.

Question is: Should i be concerned with regards to cardiovascular risk? Are there studies on hypertension in the context of orthostatic intolerance?
My thinking is that the risk is low since I am supine most of the time
I dont really wanna start treatment as I think the high blood pressure is there because of a reason (low blood volume? endothelial dysfunction?)

Thanks

Countrygirl

Hi guys

I would love some insight on the following

When supine, my blood pressure is normal.
However when sitting diastolic rises to 90, sometimes low 100. And is probably higher when walking.

Question is: Should i be concerned with regards to cardiovascular risk? Are there studies on hypertension in the context of orthostatic intolerance?
My thinking is that the risk is low since I am supine most of the time
I dont really wanna start treatment as I think the high blood pressure is there because of a reason (low blood volume? endothelial dysfunction?)

Thanks

Hi Marky,

You ask questions I would like answers to as well.

For 30 years my BP was seriously low if I attempted to remain on my feet. Sometimes, I could not sit up in bed without fading out as the pulse pressure was so narrow. Then everything changed. The orthostatic hypotension became orthostatic hypertension with episodes of rapid malignant hypertension, stroke-like attacks as it........to be highly technical...........blew the fuses in my brain. Clearly, the autoregulatory system in the brain could not adjust to such rapid hikes in pressure. (It suddenly flies to about 230-125 and sometimes much more. It is very scary and unpleasant). It also has left permanent damage and makes me very unwell for about three months afterwards with what I suspect is a sort of encephalopathy which is very similar to the neurological symptoms of ME.

My now-retired consultant warned me not to let my GP treat this like typical essential hypertension as it would exacerbate the problem. She is treating it as such as she doesn't understand ME nor the autonomic problems that may be the cause of the uncontrollable hikes in BP and the huge difference in the pulse pressure. I wish someone could explain this and I would like to know if it is usual for those of us who have been ill for decades to develop malignant hypertension. Meanwhile, I am hastily writing my will before the next bout ...............................................leaving it all to ME research and various ME charities, of course.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Where does this leave your pulse pressure (the difference between diastolic and systolic)? Very low pulse pressure is a problem. If I am under significant physical stress (the worst being the TTT when my pulse pressure went to 8), my diastolic will also rise. Perhaps just sitting up is significant physical stress for you.

Marky90

Where does this leave your pulse pressure (the difference between diastolic and systolic)? Very low pulse pressure is a problem. If I am under significant physical stress (the worst being the TTT when my pulse pressure went to 8), my diastolic will also rise. Perhaps just sitting up is significant physical stress for you.

My PP is normal (40) when supine, and seem to vary between 30 and 50 when sitting. Its obviously stressing for my body to sit, and even more to walk. I think the only answer is removing the problem.. I`m travelling to get ritux tomorrow.. Wish me luck!

By the way I also get some occasional readings with very low PP, but its not consistent..

My PP is normal (40) when supine, and seem to vary between 30 and 50 when sitting. Its obviously stressing for my body to sit, and even more to walk. I think the only answer is removing the problem.. I`m travelling to get ritux tomorrow.. Wish me luck!

By the way I also get some occasional readings with very low PP, but its not consistent..

How's your experience with Ritux been so far? I have the same ortostatic hypertension as you. I often end up around >100 when standing. Did you get bp medication for your OI?

Marky90

How's your experience with Ritux been so far? I have the same ortostatic hypertension as you. I often end up around >100 when standing. Did you get bp medication for your OI?

Hi Noah, There`s been some delay due to financial issues, but I*m starting rtx in one month. I`ll keep you posted :)