• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC ME/CFS funding still threatened it appears: SMCI Meets with Senate Appropriations Staff

Dolphin

SMCI Meets with Senate Appropriations Staff (Oct 15 piece on Oct 5 meeting)
http://solvecfs.org/SMCI+Meets+with+Senate+Appropriations+Staff

Extract:
"Appropriations staff members reported that unless the budget caps are lifted—a decision that is still pending in Congress—the ME/CFS CDC funding will likely not be restored."

I thought this was looking like it was resolved. Anyone know more?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Last I knew, the guy who worked for a senator said he wished he knew about the disease sooner. Said he would try but not sure what could be done after the fact.

I don't have the link handy and don't have time to look for it now.

Dolphin

Always lots of money for idiot wars and boondoggle military gewgaws like the F35 piece of crap though, odd that, isn't it?
The US does spend a lot of money on defence (I heard it was half their budget?). But their health research budget is also very large, much larger than most countries.

The US does spend a lot of money on defence (I heard it was half their budget?). But their health research budget is also very large, much larger than most countries.

OT: This is complicated and you can easily twist figures, but defence is about 15% of federal spending and 54% of discretionary federal spending. There are lots of ways of making the figure higher of lower depending upon what one's political objective is.

edit: 4.7% of GDP for 2010 - % of GDP is probably the most useful way of looking at it for international comparisons.

Dolphin

OT: This is complicated and you can easily twist figures, but defence is about 15% of federal spending and 54% of discretionary federal spending. There are lots of ways of making the figure higher of lower depending upon what one's political objective is.
OK. My main point is that though there are lots of ways people could choose to criticise the US, in money terms it does spend a lot on health research.

SilverbladeTE

hey UK wasting £100 billion on utterly useless nuclear weapons and idiot wars in Middle East...same thing, it's the mentality and *criminal waste*

and UK has slashed the actual military to hell to the point it's not fit for purpose, I bitterly object to the criminal wars we've been in, but, crap happens, we need a useful military especially navy who can help out with the huge and important task of sea safety/rescue/security etc.
US Coastguard fills all those roles and is a great and valuable force, IMHO.
But we in the UK don't even have a single coastal defence craft now! *points to the enormous length of our coastline and the oil fields as well that SHOULD be being patrolled*

another thing to consider in all the madness, is the US corporates are determined to get rid of the A10 aircraft because it's cheap incredibly practical and hell of a reliable compared to the junk they want their bought & paid for congress critters to push through the budget, and meanwhile the UK got rid of all it's Harrier's leaving us with jack poo for ground support, Jaguars being 40 year old and completely wrong for what's needed
using incredibly expensive incredibly unreliable fighter aircraft to attack insurgents armed with $200 of gear is nuts, may as well drop gold ingots as weapons considering the expenses :p

money is wasted enormously thanks to the hellish BRIBERY and corruption of the lobbyist systems poison our countries with.
there is no one bribing Congress critter/MP with cocaine, illegal prostitutes, back hand deals for ME/CFS research so we don't count, simple as that
Note: the pharmaceutical industry is the BIGGEST lobbying group in the US, they spend over $3 billion a year buying politicians (they spend about twice what their nearest competing group does), so if old white males have problems getting it up or hair loss BAM!! the money flows to help them! humour but also, fact.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I had a chance to read the Solve link now.

Some aspects of the multi-site study and the new things they are adding sound promising.

I'm not very comfortable with CDC creating new educational materials.