• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Totally confused with my results

juk

Hello All,

I'm a new member on the forum but have been reading your posts for a few months now & can see you guys (and girls!) really know your stuff, I thought I had started to pickup a lot of information but now I have my 23andme results I am totally confused about what to address first and how :-( if anyone on here could please try to help me I would be very grateful?

I suffer with social anxiety and have always had a high resting heard rate & get chest pain/out of breath, even when I am at home relaxed, I also suffer with acne & slight OCD (not too bad though e.g. I cant put on the first pair of socks I pickup..weird I know) and I hope that I can at least find something that will help with at least one of these problems as doctors have pretty much done some basic testing on my thyroid and heart and dismissed me as 'healthy'...only I dont feel healthy! I don't suffer with depression though, in fact I am usually very happy and have loads of energy, despite the anxiety, which is confusing.

Below are my 23&me results, I have limited to the ones which show something other than '-/-':

upload_2015-10-9_11-37-2.png

While I was awaiting the above results I purchased some methylcobalamin as I was sure I had methylation issues and was eager to start however it drove me crazy with anxiety, even the tiniest amount. This made me think (from reading on here) that I perhaps had CBS issues so I got the sulfate strips and sure enough it showed a result of about 1000 so i have been taking Molyb since which seems to be bringing the result down however I don't 'feel' any different. I have also never had any issue with eating sulfur, in fact I crave garlic like crazy. Also the weird thing is that I can take MSM etc without any problem :-S

I am taking magensium on a night to help me sleep as I also struggle sleeping, this does seem to help a lot. I seem to get a better effect from Magnesium oxide thank glycinate.

One last piece to the puzzle (sorry for all the info I just really want to try and get some help to calm my anxiety). I had a UAA done, results below (the high and low to the right is the 'normal' range). It seems that I have some really high in the range but almost all are on the lower end, some under range. I was a little bit Ill when I had it done though so I don't know if I should disregard them?

upload_2015-10-9_11-47-38.png

The reason I am so confused is that from my 23&me results I have done some reading and it seems that it suggests that my methionine should be low and homocysteine high but the test shows my methionine as very high. I don't unfortunately have a homocysteine test & cant afford one right now after paying for these tests so I will need to wait :-(

Sorry again for all the info & thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

Last edited:

TheChosenOne

While I was awaiting the above results I purchased some methylcobalamin as I was sure I had methylation issues and was eager to start however it drove me crazy with anxiety, even the tiniest amount.
Taurine is low, and I think it is high if CBS would be a problem. Please someone confirm.
You have COMT +- and MAOA ++ which means that you have trouble breaking down neurotransmitters. Tyrosine is high, so dopamine probably too.
Taking hydroxycobalamin is probably not a problem. Maybe some lithium will help too.
You benefit from methylcobalamin because you have 2 important MTRR mutations. Phosphatidylcholine is maybe also a good idea because it saves some SAMe (which you need for COMT).

You benefit from methylcobalamin because you have 2 important MTRR mutations.
MTRR A664A "+/+" is actually a mild and beneficial upregulation. And like other MTRR missense mutations A66G will only be a problem if homozygous, or if compound heterozygous with other significant MTRR missense mutations.

The other ones which might cause problems when combined with MTRR A66G +/- are:
i5003808 - T (rs137853062)
rs1532268 - T

juk

Hi,

Thanks both very much, it's exciting to find out more and to think I might actually be able to do something to finally get rid of this constant anxiety.

So from the above it sounds like the thing I need to concentrate on first are the MAOA & COMT mutations? The problem is that the more I try and find out how to treat these, especially the MAOA all I seem to find are conflicting posts and articles :-( some say a mutation on MAOA is an up regulationand others say a down regulation but nowhere seems to say how to treat either. I this where the lithium comes in?

I read that magnesium can be good for COMT so hopefully that is correct because I already take that and it does seem to help a little. Strangely Magnesium oxide seems to help more than mag glycinate which from what I read is odd as it isn't supposed to work very well...who knows with my weird body!

TheChosenOne you mention my Taurine being low, when I noticed this myself when I got my results I actually tried to supplement Taurine and got the weirdest reaction, I got a very very strong feeling that was sort of a fine line between euphoria and anxiety, sort of like a good feeling but with a crazy pounding heart! that sounds like I am making it up but honestly thats what happened, then a couple of hours later I kind of crashed and got a very aggressive mardy feeling (not like me one bit) BUT it also cleared my acne like nothing before. I don't supplement it now because of the weird reaction, I dont know if it was helping or not although I would really like the way it helped my skin but the anxiety comes first. I think this might coincide somehow with the fact that sulfur topically applied on my skin has always been the best way to clear it previously but maybe just coincidence.

Another thing I find strange is how my taurine etc are low which to me looks like the CBS pathway is not only not upregulated but is perhaps down regulated however the sulfate strips show around 1000 which I think shows an upregulation? I don't seem to have any SUOX mutations either. Maybe the strips just don't work but if anyone has any ideas on this one I would be very very greatful.

Sorry for all the info, I realise I type waaaay too much but I guess thats part of having what i can only presume is masses of adrenaline running about (hopefully not for too long if I find out how to get rid of it!!)

Thanks again :)

TheChosenOne

I don't know much about CBS upregulation. According to Yasko, having too much sulfurs around makes glutathione less efficient. Maybe that's partially what happened? This is her vision and is not really supported by independent research.
I was able to treat COMT very easily with lithium. Lithium increases the COMT enzyme and is also neuroprotective. It even reduces the risk of getting Alzheimers in people with bipolar (who are at higher risk).
Lithium removed a huge part of my mood swings and lowered anxiety significantly. I take 2 times 120 mg of lithium orotate per day (this is about 9 mg of lithium in total). B6 is also working for me. Magnesium has only a small effect.
As far as I know, MAO is an upregulation, but on the other side of the equation. Where COMT++ means you break down transmitters more slowly, MAO++ means you make them faster.
This is a video about it that has been posted before in the BH4 thread.

juk

Thanks TheChosenOne - I shall get some lithium as it certainly sounds like it might help. Did you start at 12omg x 2 a day or did you 'ramp up' to that dose? Also did you notice any side effects when starting such as drowsiness or anything (I'm presuming that reducing excitory neurotransmitters might give this effect)?

You mention about taking B6 which helped so I would like to try it, maybe in the P5P form but I am a little reluctant due to a possible CBS issue - I say possible because as you can see from my posts above I am lost on that one right now. Can I ask do you have any sort of CBS mutation and also do you take the P5P form or 'normal' B6?

TheChosenOne

I started with 10 mg first to try it. Then I immediately used the 2x120 mg. I have no side effects, besides the fact that I'm geniunly tired in the evening (personally this is a good thing).
Side note: I think I have bipolar.

The information available about CBS is very conflicting. Personally, I don't think CBS is such a big deal. You can always try it and see what happens. If you get a bad reaction, you can always keep your supplements until you fixed a possible CBS problem. I feel like most people (not all!) report better results on P5P than on B6.