• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cytokine Storm: What is it?

lch1

A New Day, Every Day!
Hello, I am homozygous C766T but have mostly survived well. As I age, I have serious reactions to illnesses that are difficult but normal to most people. The Methylation Block Protocol made a major difference and returned me to high-level activity and I mostly maintain that (though I do slack off sometimes). I just went through a month-long bout of severe acute bronchitis that exacerbated a resolving root canal, thus sending all kinds of new bad things into my system. I now feel very bad physically and not so spry mentally: feeling hot with no fever, inflammation in sinuses (ENT says swollen), very foggy thinking and annoying memory issues... This may be the flood of antibiotics (sorry to say, I am forced to take them now), or maybe related to something I'm seeing online called cytokine storm. Cytokine storm is new to me. It seems like a very acute and fatal condition, but not in some communities. I would like to learn more from the standpoint of this community, many of whom are also somehow afflicted with CFS or similar issues. Does anyone have a quick tutorial for a brain-foggy person? I have started on a stepped-up program of antioxidants (both lipid and water-based), mostly from natural sources. Thank you very much!

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Hello, I am homozygous C766T but have mostly survived well. As I age, I have serious reactions to illnesses that are difficult but normal to most people. The Methylation Block Protocol made a major difference and returned me to high-level activity and I mostly maintain that (though I do slack off sometimes). I just went through a month-long bout of severe acute bronchitis that exacerbated a resolving root canal, thus sending all kinds of new bad things into my system. I now feel very bad physically and not so spry mentally: feeling hot with no fever, inflammation in sinuses (ENT says swollen), very foggy thinking and annoying memory issues... This may be the flood of antibiotics (sorry to say, I am forced to take them now), or maybe related to something I'm seeing online called cytokine storm. Cytokine storm is new to me. It seems like a very acute and fatal condition, but not in some communities. I would like to learn more from the standpoint of this community, many of whom are also somehow afflicted with CFS or similar issues. Does anyone have a quick tutorial for a brain-foggy person? I have started on a stepped-up program of antioxidants (both lipid and water-based), mostly from natural sources. Thank you very much!

Cytokine storm is not a very specific term. It just means a situation where cytokines are produced very rapidly at such levels that the persons physiology is disturbed in a major way. It tends to be used in medical circles to indicate situations where the person ends up on intensive care with renal shut down, shock (low BP) and maybe ARDS (adult respiratory distress syndrome) / pneumonitis. It can occur after major trauma or surgery, with severe infection like septicaemia or as a result of rapid cell death with cytotoxic treatments for lymphoma. An example that got into the papers was when some healthy volunteers were given a drug that released masses amounts of T cell cytokines and they all nearly died.

Having said that, the term does not have to refer to any particular cytokines, and severity can be at any level. When you collapse in a heap with 'flu' that could be called a small dose of cytokine storm. It probably is not a terribly helpful term if you are wanting to understand anything - more than just meaning that somebody is unwell because of the effects of cytokines they are secreting.

Valentijn

@lch1 - Cytokine storms are not at all related to methylation or MTHFR variations. Those variations are very common and do not cause major problems, aside from increased risk of birth defects if the mother has the variations and does not supplement folate or eat a decent amount of vegetables during pregnancy.

lch1

A New Day, Every Day!
Hi.
Which methylation block protocol did you use....
How long before you seen any benefit from it

Thanks
GregH, I used RichV's protocol which can be readily found on this site. It is a protocol of B12, methylfolate and a few other supplements. It did wonders, though I learned one has to stay on it.