• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried moving to a different place completely?

This sounds a bit drastic, but I hear that sometimes when people move and change climates they feel better.
Has anyone tried this and witnessed any success?

Denise

I have heard of people moving and feeling better but I don't know if long-term follow-up has been done to see if improvements were sustained.

acer2000

Yes some people have reported dramatic improvements over time after leaving their current location (and their stuff). Its a good experiment to run because something in your environment might be making you sick. There is a lot of data on sick building syndrome and mold toxins causing illness.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I moved from a very damp, hot in the summer, coastal climate to a very dry semi arid climate with an elevation of 5000 ft. I feel better just in terms of hating heat and humidity but otherwise, no change in ME symptoms.:( I sold all my furniture etc. with the house so didn't bring with me anything that had been possibly exposed to mold.

But I did get away from the stress of hurricanes and tornadoes! :)

WoolPippi

This sounds a bit drastic, but I hear that sometimes when people move and change climates they feel better.
Has anyone tried this and witnessed any success?
I moved only 100 km (70 miles) but went from a city to a cabin in the woods. There I recovered a lot. I went from bed ridden to house bound and clear headed, in 4 years.

This has to do with my personal signature of the illness.
I'm very vulnerable to sounds, Wifi networks and the general high energy life a city promotes. As well as news coverage, studies and work do.
Only by not longer exposing myself to all of these did I relax enough to detox, to be utterly ill and eventually to heal a bit.

In the woods I learned to identify and supplement for my co-morbid illnesses (adrenal and ovarian insufficiency, gluten, MAO A ++, sensitive brain chemistry, vit D, sleep, ...).
I learned how to do ME things (pacing, mB12, mental managing such an illness, limit exposure to metals/toxins, ...)
Eventually I learned to let go of all ambitions concerning career, life, work and being useful. For the first time in my life I was living in the moment and I was truly happy.
All because my days were quiet and "boring".

Now I'm back in the city, I've been here for four weeks now. I'm doing all right here. Not perfect.
I continue to do the things I learned at the cabin, with some add-ons for city life (daily ear mufflers/EMF blocking sheets/noon bed rest). But the ambition-thing rears up his head here and that's not easy.

Moving didn't cure me but was certainly necessary, for me.

CantThink

I have found I do better in dry desert climates. Sadly it is not possible for me to live permanently in such a climate.

Anyway, my parents own a boat - it is a wide beam boat, a bit like a barge. The interior is mainly all wood and external is metal. It is moored in a marina. Most of the time the only noise is white noise from a motorway, which I find strangely relaxing. I find this place generally very quiet & peaceful. There is a lot of wildlife there on the water, and people generally have a more laid back attitude to life.

I have spent some time there as I noticed I somehow felt better being on the water. When I get sleep there, it tends to be better sleep. I googled about this and some others report this about being afloat on the water and sleep.

Like Woolpippi's cabin, for me the boat is very removed from everyday life, and stressors etc. While staying there for an extended time, I seemed to have a day of detox where I felt as if I was herxing and could barely move myself from the couch. I felt a bit better after that and these improvements have held since I came back. It's definitely not a cure for me in any way, but on some level it changes something.

I think in my case I also benefitted from being on my own for a bit. I don't feel guilty - I can just be myself, which is so relieving and liberating. On my own means: I am not getting in the way, causing others distress at my condition, having to justify my existence, or having to feel so keenly my deficiencies etc. I can just do what I can, when I am able, and if I can't then I can't and no one except me (and my dog) is affected.

ukxmrv

I've moved home several times since ME started but there has never been a major positive change in my health. A move usually takes me a year to begin to recover from.

Tried different things I have been without any of my possessions as well whilst on holiday and in temporary accommodation to see if there is anything like mould I'm taking with me. Tried camping. Tried moving into a low stress option with family. Taking stress out of my life adds to my comfort but does little to aid to a recovery for me.

Overall I feel better in a dry climate by the sea. Weather as well makes a difference but nothing spectacular.

There was a group for the "location effect" but reports of success were few. We do definitely get reports from patients who move to another country or find that mould or another effect is causing their symptoms.

I'm not one of the lucky ones though,