• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

not sure where to post this but... How can I support myself financially?

renerdrat

Every teardrop is a waterfall
I'm only 23.. and honestly I can't really support myself, and I can't find work that isn't labor intensive, my dad is kicking me out of the house and I'm not really sure where to go. Right now I have guys that give me money, but it's not ideal. If I could find some kind of work that I can just sit down I'd be okay but it's not very easy. I'm just not sure where to go, how do you guys manage?

South

You're in Temecula california? The job market in southern cali is pretty dismal for entry level.

You could sign up with a temp service for office type work - the assignments tend to be 8 hour days for several days, and then when that assignment ends you can take a break for as many days as you want to before accepting another assignment, and the work is often simply answering the phone or acting as a receptionist for a few days.

I did it years ago - you're more likely to get picked for the jobs if you go to the temp service office dressed very professionally, every time you walk in their door, even just to fill in some paperwork or something. They remember how you were dressed (and how you speak), and will be more confident in sending you over to their clients. (even in socal! I lived there at the time)

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
I'm only 23.. and honestly I can't really support myself, and I can't find work that isn't labor intensive, my dad is kicking me out of the house and I'm not really sure where to go. Right now I have guys that give me money, but it's not ideal. If I could find some kind of work that I can just sit down I'd be okay but it's not very easy. I'm just not sure where to go, how do you guys manage?
If you don't have a place to live I would advise speaking to someone in social services or an independent living center. They could refer you to subsidized housing -- you might need a note from your dr.
If your cognitive symptoms are hampering you , maybe see if friend or family member will help advocate for you .

You might also try finding a live in situation. I have a friend w/ this who got a nanny position and the kids were in school, so she did some light housekeeping and picked them up after school, took them to soccer practice. It really depends on your level of functioning.
Another friend did petsitting in people's homes. That's a lot of moving and you need an in-between place. But house sitting can be a possibility. pick up mail, water plants sleep.

Good luck.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, it might help if you could say what your level; of illness disability is? Are you working right now?Why is your dad kicking you out of the house and can you reconcile your differences? if you are able to think about working at all, perhaps you could discuss this with your dad - staying at home and working perhaps?

Wihtout more info about your situation its hard to give advice - but good luck with whatever you do.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
You should have a state or county work/jobs program. They might be able to help you find something suitable.

Also check with your local community college; they can help with resume's, advice, job fairs, and the like. They might have a disability office that can give you disability-specific advice.

I managed a part-time sit-down job for a while, but it was the same job I'd had in high school.

Misfit Toy

One job that I had that I found to be really easy was I was a tutor in math and English. I posted it at a local college and in high schools and had many references because I taught kids in college.

It was an hour here and an hour there and I made between $25 and $50 an hour.

I don't know if you went to college, or if any of that is anything that you are able to even do, I just happened to be really good in both English and math, which is a little bit unusual....sometimes.

I could sit with a student. I also wrote resumes, or helped.

I am still pretty good with English and literature, however my math skills with this illness stink!

What are your abilities and your level of illness?

renerdrat

One job that I had that I found to be really easy was I was a tutor in math and English. I posted it at a local college and in high schools and had many references because I taught kids in college.

It was an hour here and an hour there and I made between $25 and $50 an hour.

I don't know if you went to college, or if any of that is anything that you are able to even do, I just happened to be really good in both English and math, which is a little bit unusual....sometimes.

I could sit with a student. I also wrote resumes, or helped.

I am still pretty good with English and literature, however my math skills with this illness stink!

What are your abilities and your level of illness?

I feel like I've learned so much with just research and stuff as far as nutrition and health and general, through dealing with this illness...
I know i could really help a lot of people with diets and helping with certain supplements to take, what not to eat, etc.. That's actually my passion is nutrition, psychology, and health. I regularly study it all and visit various websites pretty regularly just because I find it interesting. I don't have any degrees or anything, but I know I could give people some helpful advice if anything. I can cook pretty well too, I've had to cook growing up for like the past 10 years.

I actually have a lot of ideas for different things i've wrote down.
Like I was an uber driver, I still do it occasionally but I find that it honestly is quite stressful and really draining
I did some modeling and photo shoots, but those aren't super reliable.
i could totally do some kind of pet sitting or walking
Tutoring I would totally do, but I honestly suck at math lol. I'm not sure about my skills in english
I do really like kids but people don't really seem to be very fond of male nannys ha.

I'm not sure where to go with ideas though besides like craigslist.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I suggest you take the area you are interested in the most and get yourself a qualification. If its health and nutrition then there are lots of courses available - make sure you do one people will trust. Then maybe at the same time start a blog about that area - being ablke to take good phtotos helps with this aspect. But I guess there are a lot of people out there doing that - but that doesn't mean you couldn't!

renerdrat

Hi. Im wondering what happened to you. Did things sort out? did your father end up kickng you out? Did you manage to go into study or get a job?

Hi,
I ended up moving to a larger city san diego, driving for uber is doable, at first it was more stressful mostly cuz I was new to it but now it's pretty easy and the pay is decent.

ghosalb

Hi did you try Taskrabbit or similar.....do chores for people....you can chose less stressful ones....no personal experience just heard about it.

Daffodil

i came across a work from home company that does not appear to be a scam. i have read the reviews which look good. its called WorkingSolutions. you take reservations over the phone for hotels, car rental companies, etc. it looks like you have to work 20 hrs a week minimum. i might apply and see what happens myself....
xox