• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Titer conversion from decimals, anyone???

Hi everyone, I notice most of you talk in titers, i.e. 1:256 or thousands, 2560. Does anyone know how to convert a decimal result? So would 2.5 be 2500? Thanks, I can't seem to get an answer on this and that's what my lab uses (decimals).

L

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Hi everyone, I notice most of you talk in titers, i.e. 1:256 or thousands, 2560. Does anyone know how to convert a decimal result? So would 2.5 be 2500? Thanks, I can't seem to get an answer on this and that's what my lab uses (decimals).

L

2.5 does not sound like a titre. A titre is a dilution that gives a positive result. So 1:256 means that you get a positive result even with diluting 256 times. A lot of tests reported with titres are also reported in terms of units of strength - using a different method for measuring the result that gives a quantity rather than a positive or negative.

In general you cannot compare one scale of result with another - not even for titres. So a titre of 1:256 in one lab does not mean a titre of 1:256 in another lab - it might be 1:64 or 1:100. It may be easier to answer if we know what the test is.

Thanks Jonathan. I was looking at VCA IgG and EBV-EA D. Mine are 3.93 and 3.30 respectively.

I was reading a study where the individual was over quoted as over 5000 for VCA IgG, and had a EBV-EA of 1:640.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I don't think you can make any comparison. Each lab has a different scale. Your results look like ELISA measurements, which do not compare to titres in any direct way.

Ema

Thanks Jonathan. I was looking at VCA IgG and EBV-EA D. Mine are 3.93 and 3.30 respectively.

I was reading a study where the individual was over quoted as over 5000 for VCA IgG, and had a EBV-EA of 1:640.
You can't compare the two because the testing methodology is totally different.

Titer testing uses serial dilution.

ELISA testing produces a number such as you describe.

Labcorp does both types of testing though.