• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

my 23andme methylation results...

Hi all

I was hoping for a little help piecing together my results. I have tried searching for some of these individually but i was hoping someone may be able to help me see how they work together and if i should be supplementing / avoiding anything.

Here are my genetic genie methylation results:

Homozygous:
  • MAO-A R297R
  • MTRR A66G
Heterozygous:
  • VDR Bsm
  • VDR Taq
  • MTRR A664A
  • BHMT-02
  • BHMT-08
  • CBS C699T
  • CBS A360A
And my detox results:

Homozygous:
  • GSTP1 I105V
Hetero:

• CYP1A2 164A>C
  • CYP1B1 L432V
  • CYP1B1 R48G
  • GSTP1 A114V
  • NAT2 I114T
  • NAT2 R197Q
  • NAT2 K268R
Thank you all!

Critterina

With your MTRR A66G being homozygous and BHMT 08 being heterozygous, sublingual methylcobalamin (MB12) would be the first place I would start.

But if you go that route, you might want to start with very little to see if you tolerate it. Some people with the MAO mutation are sensitive to various methyl donors, and while methylcobalamin isn't so much a methyl donor as an enzyme, it does let you use your methyl donors more quickly/efficiently. The whole picture isn't contained in just the MAO SNP, though, and it's possible that it's one or more combinations of SNPs and/or other things that make people sensitive. So, you can't assume you're sensitive, but you don't want to be reckless, either. And if you don't want to supplement with pills/tablets, look up foods that are high in methylcobalamin.

You might want to get your homocysteine (Hcy) level and your Vitamin D checked. If Hcy is high, especially after you are using MB12, there's a possibility of supplementing with TMG (trimethylglycine). I would avoid DMG (dimethylglycine).

I don't know much about detox mutations, except that antioxidants seem to be the usual recommendation: Vitamins C and E, and alpha lipoic acid.

Of course, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The responsible thing to do is to get a medical professional opinion. Even if your doctor/practitioner isn't versed in methylation and SNPs, that person can usually tell you if there are reasons you should avoid any supplement you're considering taking. For example, you may have a condition or be taking a prescription that they would know about, one that means one of these suggestions would not be right for you.

Good luck!

Hi all

I have done some more research into my results and am pretty much totally overwhelmed with the amount of information out there.

Can anyone recommend any docs who are well versed who could help me put together and individualized plan? Preferably without taking 50+ supps daily as the Yasko protocol seems to recommend!

Thank you

Can anyone recommend any docs who are well versed who could help me put together and individualized plan? Preferably without taking 50+ supps daily as the Yasko protocol seems to recommend!
MTRR A66G being homozygous indicates that you recycle methylB12 at about 30% of the normal rate. Hence B12 might be helpful, especially if you don't eat much meat. Preferred forms are typically methylB12 or hydroxoB12. Some people find that only methylB12 works for them, and some people find that methylB12 is over-stimulating.

Your Genetic Genie results don't suggest any other potential problems. But I do have a download at https://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/ which pulls out your rarest SNPs. The ones starting with "i" or with a frequency of under 1% are usually the most interesting.

MTRR A66G being homozygous indicates that you recycle methylB12 at about 30% of the normal rate. Hence B12 might be helpful, especially if you don't eat much meat. Preferred forms are typically methylB12 or hydroxoB12. Some people find that only methylB12 works for them, and some people find that methylB12 is over-stimulating.

Your Genetic Genie results don't suggest any other potential problems. But I do have a download at https://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/ which pulls out your rarest SNPs. The ones starting with "i" or with a frequency of under 1% are usually the most interesting.

Thanks - I will check out the link.

You don't see homozygous MAO-A R297R as a potential problem?

Should I take folate along with my B12 to ensure proper balance? Can't folate be an issue for people who are homo MAOA? How low a dose of B12 do you recommend I start with?

Thank you!

You don't see homozygous MAO-A R297R as a potential problem?
MAOA, COMT, and VDR aren't part of methylation. Some people theorize that they are important because they might impact the amount of available methyl groups, but they seem to be completely wrong more often than they're right.

It might have some relevance to potential susceptibility of psychiatric disorders, but most of that research is junk.

Should I take folate along with my B12 to ensure proper balance? Can't folate be an issue for people who are homo MAOA? How low a dose of B12 do you recommend I start with?
No idea. Is there a reason to think you need folate? Maybe you should find the people who think it's an issue and ask them.

Oh, also:

- I run at a very low temperature (as low as 95-97 degrees first thing in the morning)
- OAT testing showed high a-Keto-B-Methylvalerate (0.39), high Formiminoglutamate (1.4), low Vanilmandelate (1.5) and low Homovanillate (1.7)

I will get my homocysteine and vit D levels checked in the next 2-3 weeks.

My main symptoms have been weight gain and anxiety.

I have read some great posts from @Sherpa and @ppodhajski and would love to get their opinion also.

TheChosenOne

MAOA, COMT, and VDR aren't part of methylation. Some people theorize that they are important because they might impact the amount of available methyl groups, but they seem to be completely wrong more often than they're right.

It might have some relevance to potential susceptibility of psychiatric disorders, but most of that research is junk.
True, but it partially determines how much methyl donors you might tolerate.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@coolrunnings Low temperature and weight gain MIGHT indicate thyroid trouble. Ask your practitioner about running a complete thyroid panel. I tested normal on a thyroid panel but I had hypothyroid symptoms, still. I found out I had a severe iodine deficiency and broimde toxicity with an Iodine Loading Test from Hakala labs. Now my thyroid is working much better with iodine treatment.

But back to your results. Your anxiety issues MIGHT be aggravated by the MAO A R297R mutation. this article contains a subsection with how I treated my MAO A r297R

@coolrunnings Low temperature and weight gain MIGHT indicate thyroid trouble. Ask your practitioner about running a complete thyroid panel. I tested normal on a thyroid panel but I had hypothyroid symptoms, still. I found out I had a severe iodine deficiency and broimde toxicity with an Iodine Loading Test from Hakala labs. Now my thyroid is working much better with iodine treatment.

But back to your results. Your anxiety issues MIGHT be aggravated by the MAO A R297R mutation. this article contains a subsection with how I treated my MAO A r297R

Thanks @Sherpa.

Yeah I saw that post. How would you change your protocol for someone without the MTHFR mutation, or would you not?

I had my full thyroid bloods done and they were fine. I will look into the iodine test. I'm a little worried though, as there seem to be a lot of conflicting opinions out there about iodine.

Sherpa

@coolrunnings I was scared about iodine too, but the stuff is wonderfully theraputic and needed in my particular case. It brought me back into the Land of the Living. I had bad iodine deficiency and halide toxixicty causing me chronic fatigue. Just something to consider asking your practitoner to test for if you have one or more hypothyroid symptoms and normal standard blood work.

If you don't have MTHFR, the things to focus on are first making sure MAO A is functional: correcting any possible B2 deficiency and Thyroid dysfunction.

Then maybe move on to treating MTRR A66G which predisposes many people to B12 deficency. You could start with B12 sublingual and once you are able to tolerate that you might consider B12 Oils Adb/MeCbl mix which is high dose and potent. But I couldn't take large doses of B12 without overstimulation until my MAO A gene was fully working.

Very basic MAO A & MTRR protocol might be: NatureMade B-complex + PicMins + B12 + (extra B2 if needed) + (Thyroid supporting nutrients if needed)

Start low, go slow and may the force be with you!

So with two hetrozygous mutations + histamine intolerance, what can I do to jump start my recovery with supplements?

Attachments

• 123123123123.jpg
    123123123123.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 16

TheChosenOne

Your methylation panel looks pretty clean. The only one worth noticing is C677T, but you don't have A1298C. Maybe some methylfolate may help. MAOA can cause intolerance for methyl donors, but you don't have COMT mutations.
Everything else looks good.
Maybe you need to look somewhere else to find problems.

Sherpa

@AspireApex - you have a pretty good looking methylation profile! Do you have symptoms? Are you sick?

The MAO A mutation - in some cases - can cause anxiety, OCD, depression, eating disorders or hypersensitivity to small doses of drugs or supplements.

Do you have any of these issues in a major way?

the VDR Taq is a aberration of the Vitamin D receptor gene. It's not usually considered a major issue, as far as these things go. However, a lot of people are Vitamin D deficient and feel much better with supplementing. Have you had a Vitamin D test? They are inexpensive and easy to get.

Thank you so much for your help guys! I have histamine intolerance/salicylate intolerance which has been causing hypotension/low bp. I also have a methylfolate sensitivity and a homozygous mutation for gene MTHFS. Any idea where I could get started in terms of supplementation if I cant tolerate methylfolate?

This all really started after I started using olive oil in everything, probably overloading my salicylate detox capability and mthfr..

caledonia

Thank you so much for your help guys! I have histamine intolerance/salicylate intolerance which has been causing hypotension/low bp. I also have a methylfolate sensitivity and a homozygous mutation for gene MTHFS. Any idea where I could get started in terms of supplementation if I cant tolerate methylfolate?

This all really started after I started using olive oil in everything, probably overloading my salicylate detox capability and mthfr..

Just pointing out that nobody else has mentioned your GST (glutathione) SNPs, which are very significant.

Ben Lynch has two excellent articles on what to do if you can't tolerate methylfolate:
http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/
http://mthfr.net/preventing-methylfolate-side-effects/2014/11/26/
http://mthfr.net/preventing-methylfolate-side-effects/2014/11/26/
Click on my signature link for the SNPs Interpretation Guide and a lot more great methylation info.