• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone for science?

Chrisb

ukxmrv

"Dr Horton then wrote to the Science Media Centre in London, which was coordinating expert reaction to the study with the help of University College London and the Medical Research Council, which funded the work by Professor John Collinge, a world authority on transmissible brain diseases."

barbc56

problems with the research or the reporting

I don't know about the study but the reporting looks pretty shoddy and uses inferences that may or may not be accurate. An example below.

Although The Lancet’s source is not identified, The Independentunderstands that it was Dame Sally, who knows Dr Horton personally and has shared several conference platforms with The Lancet’s outspoken editor

It seems a hugh leap in logic to go from finding something in the brains Alzheimers patients to it being contagious.

It looks like the Independent has been accused of sometimes being somewhat sensationalistic.However, I am not familiar with the different newspapers in England, so maybe someone can weigh in on this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabloid_(newspaper_format)

It just occurred to me that it might be a good idea to look at other sources as far as the study and it's implications as I am basically commenting on the reporting.

I do remember reading that the editor of the Lancelot is really beyond wacky.

Barb

barbc56

Last edited: