• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ticks carrying Lyme disease found in South London parks

Antares in NYC

Hello London!
Apparently your parks have ticks carrying the disease that shall not be named or discussed with your doctors, or which established methodologies shall not even be questioned. (Ok, now I'm being cheeky... maybe)

Just be careful out there, my friends. If you notice a rash with the shape of a bullseye, seek immediate medical attention, seek doctors that understand this epidemic.

PS: I lived in London many years ago; one of my favorite places in the world. Sad to see this curse is popping up there too. Be safe.

Ticks carrying Lyme disease found in South London parks
Experts say risk is low but call for increased awareness
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine

Visitors to two popular parks in South London are at risk of coming into contact with ticks that can transmit Lyme disease to humans, according to new research published in Medical and Veterinary Entomology.

Researchers at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine studied four London parks to see whether ticks were present, and if they carried the Borrelia burgdorferi bacterial pathogen that causes Lyme borreliosis (Lyme disease). The team found Ixodes ricinus ticks in Richmond and Bushy parks, but reported no evidence of the arthropod pests in Wimbledon Common or Hampton Court.

A total of 1,109 ticks (532 larvae, 568 nymphs, nine adults) were collected at Richmond Park, and nine ticks (nymphs) were collected at Bushy Park. Of these, 280 randomly selected ticks were analysed using molecular techniques to determine whether they were infected with the Lyme disease bacteria, which can be transferred to humans during a tick bite.(...)

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...115.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

PS: Interesting this news comes out the same week that notable businessman John Caudwell announced his entire family is affected by persistent Lyme.

duncan

Does the UK keep track of canine Lyme incidences, I wonder? If I were a Londoner, I might take a look at that stat, if available. Track it over the last, say, five years. See where the numbers are heading.

Incidentally, most canine diagnostics these days are done with the C6.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Lots of Londoners on Lyme FB groups getting better with treatment. I may have contracted Lyme in the South East.

msf

I just realised that I used to be taken to Richmond park as a child to see the deer.