• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I am really worried, I have no appetite. None.

Misfit Toy

I have had no appetite. It started a few years ago, but now it's to a point that I just don't get. I could go without eating anything and be fine with that. I am force feeding myself and barely swallowing food.

I am not sure if I need a GI doc, or what. I am going to so many doctor's. There is too much wrong. I had a brain MRI, a thyroid nodule biopsy...I am so sick. I can't take all of these tests and docs.

I am wasting away. I don't understand what has happened, what is going on with me. What about that surgery that I had did this?

I hardly eat and I woke up today with diahreah. However you spell it. I honestly see myself needing a feeding tube. This is so crazy.

What's interesting is I have a reaction to so many things and yet I have histapenia...low histamine. I don't get it.

I have GERD a lot and if it's not that, I feel like my stomach is eating itself.

Valentijn

@Misfit Toy - At least talk to your GP, and see what he/she thinks. But I'd be concerned about something not working in the GI tract, especially with the diarrhea.

drob31

Low cortisol causes loss of appetite. Since everyone seems to be part of the HPA-axis dysfunction family, this may be something to look at as well.

Critterina

Cantaloupe and plain oatmeal - can you tolerate those two? I know someone with GERD who practically subsists on those two foods because she can tolerate them. I got the idea that it was the GERD, not just her.

I agree with seeing a doctor - I know another doctor visit is the last thing you're up for, but please fight for yourself.

Low cortisol causes loss of appetite. Since everyone seems to be part of the HPA-axis dysfunction family, this may be something to look at as well.
For me, extremely low cortisol caused hypoglycemia and I needed to eat every 90-120 minutes when it was at it's worst. Not hunger of course, but the complete stop in my ability to speak and understand what was said. Maybe slightly low cortisol causes loss of appetite, but for me the effect was that I ate frequently and gained a bunch of weight. :-( Prednisone stopped the weight gain because I could go longer without eating. Now I can even fast. :)

Misfit Toy

Yeah, would I go to a GI doc? I don't eat lunch. I had an egg today and a slice of apple and that's it. I am sure adrenals play a role, but....I don't know. I have had low cortisol for awhile and that's when I started really putting on weight. This is the opposite.

I guess a doc is in order.

I can eat oatmeal and rice. I have been eating potatoes. I eat dinner, but I literally force myself. It sucks. I miss food.

Snookum96

I had this problem for brief episodes a few times but they only lasted a couple of weeks. I ate mostly unsweetened applesauce and crackers during this time. Not very nutritious but for a short time at least I was getting some calories in.

I tried soup as well but it made me feel really drugged. I ate it anyways to try to vary the diet a bit.

A GI doc might be a good idea, they could do a gastroscopy to look at your upper digestive tract at least.

whodathunkit

@Misfit Toy: What surgery...?

Just throwing things out there for you to maybe read about/look into:

I read that apple cider vinegar might help GERD/acid reflux. I don't have any first hand experience with this, but have been looking into ACV for gall bladder issues lately and that's something I read.

Have you tried mild appetite stimulants like peppermint tea? Supposed to be soothing to the stomach. Cinnamon is also supposed to increase appetite. I'm trying to think of what supplement sent my appetite into the stratosphere a few years back, but can't right now. If I think of it I'll post again.

Have you considered something like prednisone? Steroids like cortisone/pred are supposed to increase appetite in general. Of course they come with a whole host of other bad effects, but desperate times may call for desperate measures. Might be worth reading up on to keep in escrow as an emergency measure, at any rate.

Hope it gets better soon. I don't have too much experience with not having an appetite (usually the opposite was true for me), but it's happened a couple of times and it's pretty bad trying to eat when you really don't want to.

Misfit Toy

@whodathunkit -do you know I am one of the weird ones on prednisone with no appetite? I am on 1 mg, but even higher doses do zip.

I have not tried peppermint tea. It's an upset stomach I have going on. I am not sure what will work.

I am speaking with an ND from the Walsh institute in 20 minutes and maybe she will give me insight.

BTW, apple cider makes my GERD go nuts. I was so sick from it.

TY!

Gondwanaland

Biotin and Glutamine give me a huge appetite. I never took more than 500mcg of biotin, or about 300mg of glutamine are enough to give me this effect. Both are said to heal the gut lining.

Critterina

I'm not surprised that 1 mg prednisone doesn't affect your appetite. When I take 60 mg, it takes a few days for it to nudge mine.

Yes, I would expect any kind of vinegar to be bad for your GERD. But peppermint tea might be worth a try. It's known to calm upset stomachs. I also use a digestive enzyme with buffers that helps digest food and fights upset stomach. The brand is ZAND and the product is QuickDigest.

Good luck on you phone consultation!

Snookum96

@whodathunkit -do you know I am one of the weird ones on prednisone with no appetite? I am on 1 mg, but even higher doses do zip.

I have not tried peppermint tea. It's an upset stomach I have going on. I am not sure what will work.

I am speaking with an ND from the Walsh institute in 20 minutes and maybe she will give me insight.

BTW, apple cider makes my GERD go nuts. I was so sick from it.

TY!

How did the meeting go?

L'engle

moogle
I lose my appetite when under extreme stress. It is really hard to deal with so I can understand where you are coming from. All the stuff you have been going through for the last while can really mess things up. Especially not sleeping, everything just kind of stops. Hope it resolves or you can get help.

Misfit Toy

@Snookum96 -She seems to think that it has a lot to do with Pyrolle disorder. Pyroluria. Also, high copper, low zinc and super low histamine. The combo. She says it will take awhile. Who knows, right? This whole thing is new to me, but I am willing to explore it because when I read what goes on with it, it makes sense. With Pyrolle disorder, you have no appetite. That is a hallmark of the condition.

I feel it's bigger than that. I still may go to a doc. I am not sure if I want to go through a colonoscopy. Ugh...I have had so many tests this year. In this year, I have had 3 MRI"s alone and the biopsy, the surgery...my gosh, it's just crazy.

The MRI/MRA showed that I have migraines, but no lesions...thank God.

ps-she wants me to start taking more zinc and to drink bone broth...just to get something down.

@L'engle-I think stress is a huge factor. Whether I realize it or not, it's playing a part. How can it not? There is so much going on and my stomach is sick. It definitely got worse with my mom, but it was bad before that.

My appetite...sorry for TMI, but always gets worse during that time of month. I have zero appetite.

@Critterina -are you still on the pred? Do you know that even 1 mg can cause me to go off on someone? It makes me spicey as hell.

dannybex

I'm sure this is no help, but I haven't had an appetite in probably 10 years. No stomach growling, no stomach acid, have to force myself to eat, has turned into gastroparesis this past year. Possible factors are infections, low folate, thiamine, b12, histidine, zinc (so your doc might be right on that), etc., etc..

Had colonoscopy, endoscopy 3 years ago and of course everything turned up squeaky clean. Doc thought I was abusing drugs (!!!) and did a drug panel which of course came up clean. No help since then, thank you Medicaid!

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Yeah, would I go to a GI doc?
That sounds like a good place to go, to me. GI docs can be good at worrying over not being able to eat stuff with you (or inappropriate weight loss, if this is happening). In the doctor lottery, I like my chances better at GI than at some other specialties I could think of.

Of course, whatever you think you should do is a good choice. There is not a single best way.

dannybex

@dannybex -does a test show gastroparesis? Also, won't Medicaid pay for tests or treatment? That sucks. Many with Sjogrens have gastroparesis.

Also diabetes or pre-diabetes (metabolic syndrome, etc) has a strong connection w/ gastroparesis, so if you have any blood sugar numbers (like hba1c) or high triyglycerides, high 'bad' cholesterol, low 'good' cholesterol, that might be helpful.

This site lists testing possibilities:

http://www.aboutgastroparesis.org/signs-symptoms/diagnosis

daisybell

@dannybex -does a test show gastroparesis? Also, won't Medicaid pay for tests or treatment? That sucks. Many with Sjogrens have gastroparesis.
A barium swallow exam will show up problems with peristalsis in the oesophagus. If you have difficulties swallowing any particular foods or fluids, then a modified barium swallow which is done with a Speech Language Pathologist present, will also show up any issues with the muscles in the mouth and throat...