• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drug price increases 5000%

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
At $13.50 per pill it was already overpriced as far as I'm concerned, especially for a generic drug that was developed over 60 years ago.

And this isn't the only drug this is happening to...
This 62-year-old drug just got 5,000% more expensive

To be sure, Daraprim is not the only fairly old drug that’s seen astronomical price increases recently. The price for cycloserine, a medicine used to treat drug-resistant tuberculosis, increased to $10,800 for 30 pills from $500 in August. Two heart drugs owned by Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Isuprel and Nitropress, saw their prices increase by 525% and 212% respectively this year. Even everyday drugs like antibiotic doxycycline have been affected, with its price rising to $1,849 a bottle in April 2014 from $20 a bottle in October 2013, according to a Congressional report.
The government, big pharma and Wall Street have become so corrupt it's simply mind boggling.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
You should check out this a**holes Twitter comments. He's a serious piece of work...

CPdVof6VAAA4m_u.png

LOL, he astronomically raises the price and has the gall to claim that it "aint my fault"? What a complete and utter sociopath.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Not surprising. My insurance was trying to deny me Gastrocrom (which at the time I needed to eat w/o anaphylaxis) and charge me $1000 per box. After much debate with them, they went down to about $375 per box which I had no choice but to pay for about 5-6 months but thank God I no longer need this med. Had I not found an alternative, they were going to charge me close to $3000 for one bottle of Valcyte (but I got it another way and then didn't tolerate it so it didn't matter.) I don't see this kind of thing changing any time soon.

drob31

This is when it becomes beneficial to look at overseas prices, like alldaychemist... if that even carry that sort of thing.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
This is when it becomes beneficial to look at overseas prices, like alldaychemist... if that even carry that sort of thing.
I think the problem is that, even though it's generic, no one else has been interested in manufacturing due to limited demand.

Ironically, now that this jerk is price gouging, there may be an incentive for another company to start producing it.

Then again, I seemed to have read somewhere, that due to arcane and corrupt pharmaceutical laws, he may be able to block other companies from manufacturing it.

*GG*

Ironically, now that this jerk is price gouging, there may be an incentive for another company to start producing it.

Then again, I seemed to have read somewhere, that due to arcane and corrupt pharmaceutical laws, he may be able to block other companies from manufacturing it.

I think they bought exclusive rights, didn't read that, think I heard it on TV. FYI

GG

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I think they bought exclusive rights, didn't read that, think I heard it on TV.
Actually, this is what I found on the subject...
Drug Goes From $13.50 a Tablet to $750, Overnight

With the price now high, other companies could conceivably make generic copies, since patents have long expired. One factor that could discourage that option is that Daraprim’s distribution is now tightly controlled, making it harder for generic companies to get the samples they need for the required testing.

Last edited:

Ecoclimber

Whois Martin Shkreli? The press really didn't dig deep enought. He a 32-year-old venture capitalist, ex hedge fund manager. Shkreli was fired by Retrophin's Board with Stephen Aselage being named as his replacement in September 2014. Retrophin filed a $65 million dollar lawsuit against Shkreli in August 2015, claiming he breached his duty of loyalty to the biopharmaceutical company in a long-running dispute over his use of company funds.

The biggest game is by hedge funds/venture capitalist and newly formed pharmaceuticals is to buy cheap patents for drugs that are critical for patients survival and then raising the price 350-5500%.

http://usuncut.com/class-war/watch-...ids-pill-by-5500-says-drug-still-underpriced/

Police Report: Pharma CEO Martin Shkreli Hacked Legal Rival and Harassed His Wife and Teenage Son For Months

Update: Some of the Big Pharma Reps are categorizing the unsavory characteristics of Martin Shkreli as ' pure greed' on twitter. Alicia Hardin@AliciaHardin 19h19 hours ago
@AlicusOfficial @MartinShkreli I AM big pharma. this drug has been out for 65 years and that argument is invalid.
-

Last edited:
Hopefully this blatant abuse of the current system will provoke changes. Health care is an essential need of everyone - it does not belong in a for-profit framework.

sarah darwins

The biggest game is by hedge funds/venture capitalist and newly formed pharmaceuticals is to buy cheap patents for drugs that are critical for patients survival and then raising the price 350-5500%.

Good grief. This is kind of what those 'smart guys' at Enron did with electricity in California — buy the rights then just bleed the consumer dry. It's extortion, plain and simple, and the people doing it should be behind bars.

Violeta

Good grief. This is kind of what those 'smart guys' at Enron did with electricity in California — buy the rights then just bleed the consumer dry. It's extortion, plain and simple, and the people doing it should be behind bars.
I really believe there's a special place waiting for people who are doing stuff like that to their fellow mankind.