• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Iris colour change

Hi folks!

Today's question is quite random but several of my friends have reported a skin colour change or even an iris colour change (going from brown to hazel, hazel to green etc) after taking Vit C, Glutathione Iv or pill form, NAC, and MSM or being on a raw food diet (just for the record, I do not recommend it)

Needless to say some weren't very happy with it whilst others were, I guess physical appearance does not matter as long as you are getting the health benefits.

I did some searching on le google and found that Glutathione slows down melanin production or so...

Has anyone experienced such changes after taking the aforementioned supplements for several months or years?

Interestingly enough, Glutathione is sold in IV form or pills along with ALA, MSM, milk thistle, vit E and C for skin whitening purposes *face palm* in the Asian countries.

Last edited:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yeah I´ve read commonly how GSH supposedly does whiten up your skin, but haven´t experienced it myself.

I´ve been on high ascorbic acid doses for months/roughly a year. Basic stuff.

I look quite tanned and hispanic so I highly doubt any of it would make me look different though!

Yeah I´ve read commonly how GSH supposedly does whiten up your skin, but haven´t experienced it myself.

I´ve been on high ascorbic acid doses for months.

I look quite tanned and hispanic so I highly doubt any of it would make me look different though!

I'm quite tanned (part Greek) and I love it, I love pale skin too but just not on myself. I haven't taken NAC for years, just for months on and off and I did notice a subtle glow/lightness but nothing major. Let's see.

I have been on liposomal Glutathione, NAC (and R lipoic acid) for more than a year and NO change at all in skin and iris (blue) color.

It might be hard to tell if you already have blue eyes. I hear people losing freckles too and even hair getting lighter.

That's a fantastic trio btw! Really powerful :) I hope it is working out fantastically for you.

Hanna

It is helping without doubt... but still have a loooong way to go (ME+lyme & co+heavy metals+ EMF sensitivity and what else ? EBV reactivation). And raw fresh juices help a great deal for minerals too (years of supplementation didn't do the trick for me).

It is helping without doubt... but still have a loooong way to go (ME+lyme & co+heavy metals+ EMF sensitivity and what else ? EBV reactivation). And raw fresh juices help a great deal for minerals too (years of supplementation didn't do the trick for me).

You've got quite a lot on your plate but I'm sure your body and spirit are very strong to thrive and not just survive. Raw fresh juices help me too thankfully as well eating lots of fibre. I'm going to be chelating with ALA soon (the cutler way) for heavy metals :) Are you seeing any doctor or practitioner at the moment?

I was on a raw food diet exclusively a while back and it wasn't a good idea. Now I'm off gluten, rice and white sugar as these are the foods that make me react and now I am eating (normally...?) with lots of raw foods and juices.

Speaking of diets, lots of people on the Raw and Paleo diet have spoken about an eye colour change too.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Today's question is quite random but several of my friends have reported a skin colour change or even an iris colour change (going from brown to hazel, hazel to green etc) after taking Vit C, Glutathione Iv or pill form, NAC, and MSM or being on a raw food diet (just for the record, I do not recommend it)

My eyes used to be a deep brown but now they're hazel (green outside, brown inside.) I've wondered about this eye color change so it's nice to see this post about possible causes. My skin color is mostly the same except my fingers have an orange tint much of the time, maybe due to hypotension.

I used to take a few grams of vitamin c every day. And I was on a raw food diet for two years (didn't help at all, and my body heat reduced to the point that I could sit on a couch for an hour, get up, and the cushions wouldn't feel warm.)

My eyes used to be a deep brown but now they're hazel (green outside, brown inside.) I've wondered about this eye color change so it's nice to see this post about possible causes. My skin color is mostly the same except my fingers have an orange tint much of the time, maybe due to hypotension.

I used to take a few grams of vitamin c every day. And I was on a raw food diet for two years (didn't help at all, and my body heat reduced to the point that I could sit on a couch for an hour, get up, and the cushions wouldn't feel warm.)

Hey Pat J! Thanks for contributing.

See, my friends have reported the exact same! Also, my father and other members in my family reported an eye colour change over the years as they got become ill, their eyes became darker except for the ones who are super healthy.... perhaps due to depletion of Glutathione?

I was on a Raw food diet which induced severe hair loss, mineral imbalances, hypotension, low body temperature and cavities... some of the damage seems to have been long-term, I just hope it isn't permanent. I bet I messed up my hormones badly going completely off fat and just eating raw fruits and veggies.... Not good. I hope to get everything checked when I visit a doctor soon.

Richard7

Cool,

I was not a vegan of any description, but I came from a very low fat diet that I did not even know was a low fat diet. It was just how my food preferences had worked out.

Back in 2012 I was in a real mess and had been for years. I would have a couple of afternoons where I popped out of the fog and then sink back into vagueness for a couple of months.

That Autumn someone tried to tell me about Weston A Price. I was not well enough to understand her but I managed to write down the name and store it in my wallet.

In the Winter I got one of those relatively clear-headed afternoons and searched for Weston A Price and my search lead me to one of Denise's articles which was the only article that was straightforward enough for me to be able to get the gist of it.

I think I just got that I needed bile (it had been recommended 8 years earlier but I had been unable to get some and had not understood why it was so important), needed to eat fat with my food to absorb fat soluble vitamins, and that it was a good idea to order some vitamin d, codliver oil and and vitamin k2.

I sent links to her site to my three sisters, who all had had their gall bladders removed, and a vegan friend who had been having trouble with his teeth.

Cool,

I was not a vegan of any description, but I came from a very low fat diet that I did not even know was a low fat diet. It was just how my food preferences had worked out.

Back in 2012 I was in a real mess and had been for years. I would have a couple of afternoons where I popped out of the fog and then sink back into vagueness for a couple of months.

That Autumn someone tried to tell me about Weston A Price. I was not well enough to understand her but I managed to write down the name and store it in my wallet.

In the Winter I got one of those relatively clear-headed afternoons and searched for Weston A Price and my search lead me to one of Denise's articles which was the only article that was straightforward enough for me to be able to get the gist of it.

I think I just got that I needed bile (it had been recommended 8 years earlier but I had been unable to get some and had not understood why it was so important), needed to eat fat with my food to absorb fat soluble vitamins, and that it was a good idea to order some vitamin d, codliver oil and and vitamin k2.

I sent links to her site to my three sisters, who all had had their gall bladders removed, and a vegan friend who had been having trouble with his teeth.

I've been prescribed Cod liver oil, Vitamin D, K2 and bile as well as HCL by my Gaps practitioner. Have not been able to follow her recommendations yet but let's see how it works out.

Are you underweight as well? How are you now after changing your diet?

PennyIA

Hi folks!

Has anyone experienced such changes after taking the aforementioned supplements for several months or years?

Interestingly enough, Glutathione is sold in IV form or pills along with ALA, MSM, milk thistle, vit E and C for skin whitening purposes *face palm* in the Asian countries.

This is quite interesting to me... less about what the supplements are doing, but more about what mechanisms are in place for it and whether or not supplementation can correct any mechanisms that might not be fully functional. I suppose if all it does is impact appearance, I really couldn't care less... but... is there any tie in for the mechanism to other things that are more health related?

I ask because I come from a family of 'color changers' - and no, not just based on our exposure to the sun, though it certainly has impact for some of us.

But several of my family, including myself - have been born redheads, changed to blond by the age of 3 months, changed to brunette later in life. We've experienced a lightening of the skin and several of us have experienced eye color changes.

MOST of us (me being the exception) are not taking supplements, I am taking Vit C and NAC, my eyes are more blue than gray now, they were blue in my youth and gray during my 20's & 30's... I hadn't noticed when they became blue again, but it very well might have been after I added NAC.

And on the subject of bile... I was told to take it after my gall bladder was removed but kept getting gag reflex with it. AND it didn't let me tolerate more fats in my diet so I quite taking it. So, I am on a low fat diet to try to avoid symptoms post-gall bladder removal.

.... perhaps due to depletion of Glutathione?

Given my MTHFR symptoms lack of Glutathione is a risk factor for me. Which might make a good connection since those genes are likely in my mom, my siblings and my children and grandchildren as well. It could very well be that at birth we had been able to get the supply from the mother, but if glutathione is reduced based on our genetics after birth, that could explain the hair color change at 3 months; of course, all babies eyes change color as well at a certain point, but then the latter hair, skin and eye color changes might be a body signal around levels that we could start paying attention to if we understood it better.

I was told NAC was a good support for that, but am wondering if I need to do more yet.

Richard7

Penny,

We have a bit of that change in colour in my family too with several siblings and uncles and aunts who changed hair colour in childhood. I have a maternal Aunt who went from pale almost white blond to black hair in her teens, the others just changed their shades of brown or red.

I noticed that almost all the red hair in my predominantly black beard went blond in the firsty year or two of CFS. And the rest of my hair became dull/ a less intense black or brown.

I know at the time that a biochemist I was talking to said something about problems with pigment transport and something about pigmentation being expensive and so something that the body does less of when under stress.

But that was 10 yrs ago so I do not remember clearly.

And yes I think that this sort of stuff could be revealing if only we understood it.

I sorry to hear that you had trouble with bile supplementation.

I know that one of my sisters went very low fat too and stopped making progesterone entirely and ran into lots of other hormone issues.

I hope you don't run into those problems.

Richard7

I've been prescribed Cod liver oil, Vitamin D, K2 and bile as well as HCL by my Gaps practitioner. Have not been able to follow her recommendations yet but let's see how it works out.

Are you underweight as well? How are you now after changing your diet?

No. But I was on sandomigran for 5 years.

Sandomigran is a migraine medication.

Sandomigran seems to stuff up a lot of feedback mechanisms. If you can feel a need to urinate your bladder is full to near bursting, and after you urinate you will still feel the need to go for the next couple of hours. And with the vagueness of CFS you may forget and find yourself wandering into the bathroom every 15 to 20 minutes for those two hours.

If you wait till you feel the need to eat before you eat you will wait all day. But then you will understand why babies scream when they are hungry, and feel like that for 8 hours or so. So you will keep stuffing yourself with food and find no relief.

So I spent 5 years not trusting my own feedback mechanisms, working out what I needed to eat based on tables from the zone diet and eating every 4 or 5 hours.

That hungry baby thing is really really bad.

I thought at the time that my weight gain was because I was erring on the side of caution. Eating a bit more because the consequences of getting it wrong were so bad. Or perhaps because I was just getting it wrong.

There were certainly times when I was getting it wrong. I was also not really clear headed enough to understand what was going on.

But one of the many things I did not understand was that people with CFS have low metabolisms and that the tables for a sedentary person would have all been wrong, so there was no way I could have got it right.

I am still overweight, less so than at my peak, but more than I was before the sandomigran. But weight is not what I am really worried about.

I had real problems with GAPS, it made me much worse. I really needed that fibre.

I added tried to explain what I think I have learned about sibo on this thread http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...gut-without-provoking-sibo.39729/#post-638559

dannybex

I have been on liposomal Glutathione, NAC (and R lipoic acid) for more than a year and NO change at all in skin and iris (blue) color.

Can I ask how much liposomal glutathione and lipoic acid you're taking? Thanks in advance.