• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inositol for sleep - success story

Hi all

Just wanted to share some sleep success because I’m so outrageously happy about being able to sleep through the night .......!!!! And also maybe it will help someone.

Anyway – I just wanted to put out a reminder that Inositol is helpful with sleep... It’s definitely worth trying it in my opinion, if stuck for ideas. I have taken it now for about 4 nights in a row and am have slept really soundly through the night. I’m waking up and don’t feel groggy or anything.

My doctor advised me to take 2 capsules between 1 and 4 times a day. He said 1 capsule may be enough. How much is in a capsule ? - He recommended that I go to a certain website which sells many different brands to get it. However, when I got there I noticed that there is a wide variety of difference between what’s in a capsule... so am not sure exactly how much he’s really suggesting I take. I ended up getting it in a powerered form locally (Musachi brand) and take around ½ a teaspoon a day (might drop that down to 1/4 later). Half a teaspoon is just over a gram a day.

Also – I’m trying to get more exercise and think that’s definitely helping on the days I’m doing it.

Kylie

Hip

A heaped teaspoon of inositol is around 7 grams, so you are probably taking 3 or 4 grams.

Doses of up to around 15 grams daily are used for antidepressant or anti-anxiety purposes.

Thanks Hip,

That's really useful information about the anti-depression / anxiety properties. I also read on wikipedia it was good for OCD too - which I don't have but someone I know does. And it breaks down fat. So maybe can take care of 2 or 3 things in one go. Yay.

My jar of inositol says 1 level teaspoon = 2.3 grams, obviously heaped would be more. I'm not sure why the difference, but maybe there are some fillers or something else in what I'm taking. Interestingly, there is zero info on the jar about what's in it. Just inositol on the the label and not even the type of inositol or anything else anywhere.

Thanks again
Cheers
Kylie

Hip

My jar of inositol says 1 level teaspoon = 2.3 grams, obviously heaped would be more.

That sounds about right. My inositol, which I use for anti-depression/anti-anxiety purposes, is quite a fine powder, and so heaps up high on a teaspoon.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Dakini - Inositol also helps me with sleep, as well as glycine and niacin, and the usual suspects - l-theanine, melatonin, magnesium, theanine serene (which has holy basil and gaba in it) - am really glad to the inositol is helping you!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yes this supp works and is great it helps you.

Inositol is indeed useful but I fear its effects seem to be REM related (more dreams you´ll get) and as such will only help the subset of people suffering from REM deprivation. For me it made sleep worse as what I seem to lack is more of the deeper stages of sleep.

I took huge doses of it, around 10 grams, to feel some effects.