• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gelatin

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I was wondering... Has anyone tried Gelatin for their "immunologically screwed, chronically inflammed" intestines aka "Leaky Gut"?

I am always looking for stuff that helps with this as the pain that comes and goes plus the nose eczema plus the IgG tests of 2013 I think leave no doubts. And dieting is so damn hard when 70% of what normal people eat keeps you sick and no one around eats like you do (no psychological/practical support).

I won´t boil for half a day/the whole day bones to get this, will buy it. I find impossible the idea of having something cooking for so long.

perchance dreamer

I had been really happy with Great Lakes Gelatin for a long time, but lately, some cans taste funky to me. It's not that the product is off, but just that some cans have a strong flavor that I'm barely able to tolerate. For so many months, they had been nothing but perfectly neutral and easy to drink.

So I'm looking for another brand of gelatin from grass-fed cows. I'm interested in Bulletproof, but theirs is so expensive, $52.90 for 16 oz on Amazon as opposed to $21.49 for Great Lakes, also in a 16-oz can.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
So I'm looking for another brand of gelatin from grass-fed cows. I'm interested in Bulletproof, but theirs is so expensive, $52.90 for 16 oz on Amazon as opposed to $21.49 for Great Lakes, also in a 16-oz can.
Anything "bulletproof" will be expensive. These people are "elitist supplementarians", and thats costly.

In my experience any crap that promotes itself as "super special and therefore with inflated prices" is likely to be overpriced and generally a scam.

Who knows. I ain´t trying new stuff that is too flashy, many times I was faced with placebos.

perchance dreamer

I agree that Bulletproof is overpriced. I'm assuming that something changed with Great Lakes production to explain why some of their gelatin tastes weird now. It's so disappointing: It was a really good price.

Amazon does carry other brands of gelatin from grass-fed cows, so I'll try something else and report back if I find something good.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I agree that Bulletproof is overpriced. I'm assuming that something changed with Great Lakes production to explain why some of their gelatin tastes weird now. It's so disappointing: It was a really good price.

Amazon does carry other brands of gelatin from grass-fed cows, so I'll try something else and report back if I find something good.
Cool. Yes the price is awesome! I was like uh thats an honest price in the supplement industry, a rare sight!

ahmo

I won´t boil for half a day/the whole day bones to get this, will buy it. I find impossible the idea of having something cooking for so long.
You don't actually have to cook for so long. When I started GAPS I used slow cooker. Later I switched to pressure cooker. 1/2 hour for bone broth, 45 minutes with a roast. Perfect gell every time, can resuse the bones at least once, often twice.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
You don't actually have to cook for so long. When I started GAPS I used slow cooker. Later I switched to pressure cooker. 1/2 hour for bone broth, 45 minutes with a roast. Perfect gell every time, can resuse the bones at least once, often twice.
Now thats something I like. Sounds reasonable. I use pressure cooker frequently. Any special tips when using it? The recipe is the same than with a slow-cook pot?

Last edited:

ahmo

Ah, you're already a pressure-cooker user.:thumbsup: I used 3 litres/batch, because I was using 1 l broth/day. All I was adding was bay leaf and salt. My body rejected the vinegar a year into the diet, I seem to have not needed the extra minerals. And just now I've stopped using broth altogether, as I was taking in too much Ca.

Bansaw

Did anyone come up with a reasonably priced alternative to Great Lakes?

How much do you take per day, and when? I think its recommended that 1 tablespoon twice a day, once in the AM and once in the late evening.

perchance dreamer

I had said earlier that Great Lakes had started tasting weird. However, since then I've bought 4 cans that tasted just fine, that is just really neutral. So I'm going to continue buying it.

Bansaw

I had said earlier that Great Lakes had started tasting weird. However, since then I've bought 4 cans that tasted just fine, that is just really neutral. So I'm going to continue buying it.
OK thanks..... its the red cannister you buy, not the green one, right?

perchance dreamer

I haven't tried the red. I think the red is better for some reason when you use it for cooking. I assume the absorption is the same.

I mix the green into a little water and drink, so I'm not cooking with it.

You might look on AZ at user comments for both and see if reader comments help.

Seven7

Seven
Great Lakes Gelatin I use the green so I can add to all my hot beverages. I also just found out about l-glutamine at high dose (20 to 40 mg). Please read well and reaserch. I have been trying to address my gut inflammation to not avail. I just realized that I have been doing too little of everything. The 3 day bone broth did wonders on me.

Bansaw

Great Lakes Gelatin I use the green so I can add to all my hot beverages. I also just found out about l-glutamine at high dose (20 to 40 mg). Please read well and reaserch. I have been trying to address my gut inflammation to not avail. I just realized that I have been doing too little of everything. The 3 day bone broth did wonders on me.
You mean that boiling down your own bone broth is better than gelatin?
I am getting some l-glutamine too actually. What kind of dose are you going with?

Seven7

Seven
You mean that boiling down your own bone broth is better than gelatin?
I am getting some l-glutamine too actually. What kind of dose are you going with?
1)
gelatin = You are after its collagen.
You will get the collagen if you boil the bones and you get all the other minerals benefits. Also help seal the gut.
Google bone broth and leaky gut. I am not sure the comparison broth vs the collagen in the powder mg wise.
To be honest I am going to powder because I cant take the detox and strong reaction I was getting from the broth (I smell it now and want to puke) so I need a break.
2) What kind of dose are you going with?
I will try to go 20mg or 30mg, watching the cortisol. Apparently L-G can lower cortisol. I do great just on 1mg I don't imagine how great I would feel if I increase.