• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 Levels

hello there, well for the last 6 years, since i turned 18 iv been getting extreme dizziness, dizzy spells, balance problems, nausea, vertigo, cant sit up or stand up straight for long without feeling like im going to faint, plus loads more and after numerous tests like mri's, ecgs, eeg, balance tests and ear tests etc but all were normal.

i decided to get my b12 tested as i match all the symptoms and its never been discussed.

How is this b12 level? what do you guys think, could it cause any symptoms?

b12 222 pg/ml 197 - 866

folate 4.8 ng/ml 4.6 - 18.7

ferritin 44 ng/ml 30.0 - 400.0 . Why am i always borderline lol?

iv just started my methyl b12 lozenges 1000 mcg as i highly doubt my GP will give me injections, what should i do?

PeterPositive

B12 at 222 is pretty low, certainly not optimal... I had lots of symptoms at 350.
Some people can find quick relief from some of their symptoms by taking B12 supplements.

Since both B12 and Folate (aka B9) are on the low end of the spectrum it's likely that so are the other B vitamins. Maybe your diet need some fixing? :)

In any case you could try taking a B complex and maybe add some extra methyl-B12, starting low with 100mcg and slowly building it up, to avoid side effects.

You can talk about it with your doc before starting.

cheers

B12 at 222 is pretty low, certainly not optimal... I had lots of symptoms at 350.
Some people can find quick relief from some of their symptoms by taking B12 supplements.

Since both B12 and Folate (aka B9) are on the low end of the spectrum it's likely that so are the other B vitamins. Maybe your diet need some fixing? :)

In any case you could try taking a B complex and maybe add some extra methyl-B12, starting low with 100mcg and slowly building it up, to avoid side effects.

You can talk about it with your doc before starting

cheers

your right my diet isnt that great :(. Thank you for replying btw :) i started my methyl b12 1000 mcg lozenges 2 days ago so well see how it goes i guess, but also i need folate too right? as they work together and cant work without each other?

PeterPositive

your right my diet isnt that great :(. Thank you for replying btw :) i started my methyl b12 1000 mcg lozenges 2 days ago so well see how it goes i guess, but also i need folate too right? as they work together and cant work without each other?
Yes that would be a good idea, since you are at the low end of the range.
Cheers

ahmo