• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potential Sleep-Related Treatment Identified For Fibromyalgia

perchance dreamer

This is old news. Many fibro patients do have alpha intrusions, which cause non-refreshing sleep and an increase in pain.

Xyrem is the brand name of sodium oxybate, a sleep med that works on Gaba-B. It's a short-acting, powerful, CNS depressant that puts the patient into deep-stage sleep. It's regarded as very safe when used as directed, partly because it is so short acting, which requires the patient to get up in the middle of the night and take a 2nd dose. Also, it's regarded as safe because it leaves Gaba-A alone, working on just Gaba-B.

Jazz Pharmaceuticals, which still owns Xyrem, I think, petitioned the FDA to approve Xyrem for fibro patients and did a lot of clinical trials, with very good results. The FDA turned down approval for fibro. I think this was 4 or 5 years ago.

Xyrem is currently approved only for narcolepsy and cataplexy in the U.S. My sleep doctor has worked with Xyrem for a long time and participated in the fibro trials. He was appalled the FDA rejected Xyrem for fibro use.

He thinks the rejection wasn't based on results, but how it would be a big pain to have this powerful, exceedingly expensive drug approved for the legion of fibro sufferers. Jazz has the patent on pharmaceutical GHB until 2020, I think, and they charge an exorbitant amount for it.

panckage

Also, it's regarded as safe because it leaves Gaba-A alone, working on just Gaba-B.
Not sure if that makes it safe phenibut works on gaba-b too and no prescription is needed. I take 1g at 9-10am usually. It doesn't make me drowsy. It makes me feel good for the whole day usually and then I can sleep the whole night through! It works great but caution the consensus is to use no more than twice a week. Anymore than that and there are reports of terrible withdrawals

perchance dreamer

Doesn't phenibut also work on Gaba-A in addition to Gaba-B? I thought that's why it's habit forming if taken every day.

I occasionally take 100 MG at bedtime, and it knocks me out. I'd never be able to take it in the morning. Just shows how we're all different.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I use it no more than 2 days a week. I have used it 2 days in a row for sleep emergencies but that is it.. 500 mgs had me wasted most of the next day which I quite like.