• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

potassium - can you take too much/ symptoms to watch out for?

alice111

I will be trying to increase my potassium, just wondering what symptoms I should watch out for if I have taken too much?

thanks!

Mary

Moderator Resource
I will be trying to increase my potassium, just wondering what symptoms I should watch out for if I have taken too much?

thanks!

It's difficult for people with healthy kidneys to get too much potassium. However, you should increase your dose gradually- it's not good to take a lot all at once. e.g., I take 1000 - 1200 mg. of potassium gluconate a day, but I worked up to that dose over several days, and take it in divided doses 3 or 4 times a day. I would not take 1000 mg. all at once.

I've just been reading there is no RDA for potassium, but there is something called AI, adequate intake, which is 4700 mg. per day. Here's a good article: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/potassium

This one might be helpful too: http://www.livestrong.com/article/471819-rda-guidelines-for-potassium/

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
When i was trying to do methylation I think I was told not to take more than 300-400 at a time. You're body can't process more than that at one time. I don't keep track of exactly how much I take a day but I grab 3 or 4 99 mg tablets when I see them on the counter. I've never had a problem that I'm aware of

@ahmo will know. She helped me with this.

whodathunkit

Potassium can be hard on the stomach, too. I found that when I took potassium capsules or tabs they would bother my stomach (made it hurt). So I always took mine in powder form. But powder tastes nasty, so I would put my dose in an ounce or so of water and shoot it from a shot glass (like liquor). Then immediately drink a big glass of water on top of it. It's kind of like shooting tequila and then immediately sucking on the lime to wash away the taste. I take everything that tastes horrible in the same way, and I find that it minimizes the ick factor and "gets it over with" much sooner than putting nasty stuff in an 8oz glass of juice and trying to chug that.

Or ahmo's footbaths will also prevent potassium from bothering your stomach (or your tastebuds).

Or maybe it won't bother you at all.

From what I understand the symptoms from too much potassium can be about the same as too little. I guess just watch out for symptoms at either end of the spectrum, and in your daily allotment don't forget to account for the potassium you also get with your food.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/hyperkalemia-causes-symptoms-treatments?page=2#1

Too much potassium in your blood can affect how your heart works. Symptoms of hyperkalemia can include:

Complications of Hyperkalemia
Hyperkalemia is a common cause of life-threatening heart rhythm changes, or cardiac arrhythmias. It can lead to an emergency condition called ventricular fibrillation. In this condition, the lower parts of your heart flutter rapidly instead of pumping blood.

Untreated, an extremely high amount of potassium in your blood can make your heart stop beating, causing death.

Kati

Patient in training
Potassium supplements should not be taken likhtly. Presumably and hopefully your potassium level is being monitored via blood work.