• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Woman has Islet Cells Transplanted to Liver After Pancreas Removal

whodathunkit

@Little Bluestem, thanks for posting this! I didn't know that PWME have a higher rate of pancreatitis than the general population...interesting factoid. I'm still not entirely convinced that what's been going on with my gut lately is all due to gallstones from weight loss. Only time will tell. I've actually been pretty worried about chronic pancreatitis but it nice to know about stuff like this if it ever comes down to worst case scenario.

joshualevy

I just searched pubmed, and did not find a single study showing that PWME or PWCFS have higher rates of pancreatitis.

Joshua Levy

halcyon

I just searched pubmed, and did not find a single study showing that PWME or PWCFS have higher rates of pancreatitis.

Joshua Levy
Several ME doctors have noted that a large percentage of patients die from pancreatic failure. For example, Elizabeth Dowsett said:
After a variable interval, a multi-system syndrome may develop, involving permanent damage to skeletal or cardiac muscle and to other "end organs" such as the liver, pancreas, endocrine glands and lymphoid tissues, signifying the further development of a lengthy chronic, mainly neurological condition with evidence of metabolic dysfunction in the brain stem. Yet, stabilisation, albeit at a low level, can still be achieved by appropriate management and support. The death rate of 10% occurs almost entirely from end-organ damage within this group (mainly from cardiac or pancreatic failure)

lansbergen

Joshua Levy

Several ME doctors have noted that a large percentage of patients die from pancreatic failure. For example, Elizabeth Dowsett said:

When I was fed up with the negative findings in the animals I started cutting open dead young animals myself. Several had an affected pancreas. Part of it was what I called blubber while the rest of it looked normal to my untrained eye.