• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Insomnia may increase risk of colds

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
from Physicians' First Watch:
You Really Are More Likely to Get Sick When You Don't Get Enough Sleep, Small Study Suggests
By Kelly Young
Edited by
- Jaye Elizabeth Hefner, MD

Sleeping fewer than 6 hours a night is associated with increased risk for developing a cold following rhinovirus exposure, according to a small, prospective study in Sleep.

Some 160 healthy participants had their sleep measured by wrist actigraphy for 1 week and were subsequently quarantined and given nasal drops containing rhinovirus 39.

Over 5 days, roughly 30% of participants developed a cold, defined as viral infection plus total mucus weight of at least 10 g or a total adjusted nasal clearance time of 35 minutes or more. After adjustment for potential confounders, participants who slept fewer than 6 hours a night were at roughly four times greater risk for developing a cold compared with those who got over 7 hours of sleep.

The authors speculate that their results "may have been due to increased susceptibility to infection and/or increased illness expression among those infected."

Link(s):
Sleep article (Free abstract) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;68211250;YwuORMp6Gk7+vOWVEbV5PaJod9uAd6/OwNovxZv5o2U=
Sleep editorial (Subscription required) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;68211250;YwuORMp6Gk7+vOWVEbV5PeMVAQEPiP6bwNovxZv5o2U=
Background: NEJM Journal Watch Infectious Diseases coverage of sleep and colds (Free) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;68211250;YwuORMp6Gk7+vOWVEbV5PcPjCSNdBF7gwNovxZv5o2U=

Countrygirl

.............just not when lack of sleep is caused by ME-induced insomnia and the dysfunctional immune system appears to kill anything at 50 paces. I guess the above refers to mere..............'normals'......not the more highly evolved ME patient community. :D :)

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
.............just not when lack of sleep is caused by ME-induced insomnia and the dysfunctional immune system appears to kill anything at 50 paces. I guess the above refers to mere..............'normals'......not the more highly evolved ME patient community. :D :)

I was thinking about possible causation/early stages. Perhaps lack of sleep could allow an infection to become more deep-seated and thus lead to ME.

Some pwME do think that they get frequent infections, but I think some of these are mistaking PEM for infection. I did for years.