• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Non antibiotic alternatives for SIBO besides Candibactin-AR and Berberine?

Hi,

I have a question relating to non-antibiotic treatments for SIBO. My daughter has tried both Candibactin-AR and Berberine, but has had different issues with each of them. The Candibactin-AR gave her a weird feeling somewhere between heartburn and acid reflux, but without the acid coming up. The Berberine, which she tried twice, gave her additional bloating, and a feeling of fullness, and she eventually had to vomiting and diarrhea.

I'm aware of Biocidin, but it has several Berberine related compounds, so we're concerned that it might produce the same results as the straight Berberine. The other issues are the aftertaste and the fact that it has oregano oil, which is one of the compounds in Candibactin.

I'm also aware of garlic, but not sure of its taste, even as a capsule/tablet.

Has anyone had any experience with alternatives to antibiotics, excluding compounds contained in either Berberine or Candibactin-AR? If you can share your experiences, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Scotty81

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Scotty81 - my chiropractor recently suggested GI Microb-X for SIBO, which I tried (https://www.pureformulas.com/gi-microb-x-60-capsules-by-designs-for-health.html). It does have berberine, as well as several other things. It caused me to herx quite strongly, and I had to cut the dose - the good news is it seemed like it was helping my gut in a relatively short period of time - the bad news is, because I reacted so strongly to it, I had to stop it because I am leaving to see Dr. Kaufman on Monday, and could not take the fatigue and weakness induced by herxing when I travel.

I'm wondering if your daughter's reaction to the berberine was dose dependent - if she might be able to tolerate something like the Gi Microb-X, since it has several other ingredients, as well as berberine.

I want to get back on it as soon as I return from Mountain View, Thurs or Fri of next week. The chiropractor told me to take 2 capsules a day, but when I restart it, will go with one a day, or even one every other day, and see how I do.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Scotty81 ive been looking at the one mary has recommended.

It's $20 cheaper on amazon and other places have it for $44. I'm not sure why pure formulas is so expensive. They usually are competitive.

Hip

The Berberine, which she tried twice, gave her additional bloating, and a feeling of fullness, and she eventually had to vomiting and diarrhea.

Caution is advised with berberine, particularly in ME/CFS:
the safety profile of berberine remains controversial, as isolated reports suggest risks with acute toxicity, bradycardia and exacerbation of neurodegeneration. We report that low micro molar berberine causes rapid mitochondria-dependent toxicity in primary neurons characterized by mitochondrial swelling, increased oxidative stress, decreased mitochondrial membrane potential and depletion of ATP content.

Our study highlights the need for further safety assessment of berberine, especially due to its tendency to accumulate in the CNS and the risk of potential neurotoxicity as a consequence of increasing bioavailability of berberine.

Ref: Mitochondria and NMDA Receptor-Dependent Toxicity of Berberine Sensitizes Neurons to Glutamate and Rotenone Injury

I found this website of Dr Allison Siebecker has useful info for SIBO:
. My associates and I have been using herbal antibiotics for SIBO since 2011. We have consistently found them to be as effective as pharmaceutical antibiotics in relieving symptoms and reducing gas levels on breath testing.

My team commonly uses:
1-3 of the following herbs x 4 weeks per course, at highest levels suggested on product labels.
Allicin from Garlic (the highest potency formula I know of is Allimed)
Oregano
Berberine- found in Goldenseal, Oregon Grape, Barberry, Coptis, Phellodendron
Neem
Cinnamon

For more details, please see page 2 of my article SIBO: Often Ignored Cause of IBS, my class videos and the other resources at Learning More.

Last edited:

Oci

Caution is advised with berberine, particularly in ME/CFS:
the safety profile of berberine remains controversial, as isolated reports suggest risks with acute toxicity, bradycardia and exacerbation of neurodegeneration. We report that low micro molar berberine causes rapid mitochondria-dependent toxicity in primary neurons characterized by mitochondrial swelling, increased oxidative stress, decreased mitochondrial membrane potential and depletion of ATP content.

Our study highlights the need for further safety assessment of berberine, especially due to its tendency to accumulate in the CNS and the risk of potential neurotoxicity as a consequence of increasing bioavailability of berberine.

Ref: Mitochondria and NMDA Receptor-Dependent Toxicity of Berberine Sensitizes Neurons to Glutamate and Rotenone Injury

Many thanks Hip. I have been taking Candibactin for the past couple of years and lately wondering about the advisability of doing so. I have GI dysbiosis including chronic candida and do feel better when I take Candida BR. However, I also have brain fog often and memory problems.

Now I am wondering what to do next?!