• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Menstrual Cycle, Histamine and Progesterone.

Ema

I thought this was an interesting perspective on the menstrual cycle in terms of histamine. I'm not sure if it is true though it would bear further investigations. It also explains why women may have a higher preponderance than men.

Histamine in turn affects estrogen and progesterone. In the ovary, histamine released stimulates the synthesis of both estrogen and progesterone, and the release of histamine by mast cells appears to trigger contraction of the ovary, ovulation, and the secretion of progesterone from the ovarian follicle. In the uterus, the stimulating effects of estradiol are greatly enhanced by histamine, as are the contractions of the uterine musculature.

The whole process of menstruation, i.e. the shedding of the uterine lining, can be looked at as a controlled inflammatory response in which histamine and mast cells play a central role. Histamine plays a large, and possibly central role in the initiation of labor. One study on rats demonstrated tight synchronization of changes in tissue levels of histamine in brain, ovaries and uterus; levels rose and fell together as the rats went through their reproductive cycles. I like to think of this metaphorically in terms of a “tide” of histamine in the brain and body.

http://www.mwt.net/~drbrewer/Histamine_Progesterone.htm

Ema, I have not read the entire article (too tired from lack of sleep), but this is interesting. If you remember me, I am all of a sudden dealing with a histamine issue, and the last nearly 2 months have been hell for me. Unable to eat, lost 10% of my body weight in a couple of wks. Multiple chemical sensitivites.

I've stabilized my weight loss through the Failsafe elimination diet over the last 4 wks but am still having histamine issues.

The one thing that caught my eye with this article is that for the first time in my 22 years of menstrating (I'm 34), I missed my last period. I have ALWAYS been very regular, but it did not come this month. I wonder if this is due to the weight loss. Just another problem for me to worry about, I guess.

rosie26

Let me give you an example of the interplay of the hormones and histamine: Estrogen can modulate the binding of histamine to its receptors. Studies on rabbit hearts showed that the vessels of animals who had had their ovaries removed [meaning that their estrogen production had stopped] exhibited hypersensitivity to histamine, but this was restored to normal when they were given estrogen.
Edit: quote from @Ema link above.

This is interesting, ever since the menopause began for me 3 years ago I have had burning and flushing which has now become severe. My hands have got worse as well with worsening flare ups of cracked inflamed skin on my fingers. I am trialing antihistamines at the moment - is there anything else I could be trying!? - I guess hormone replacement, hmm.

Last edited:

Snookum96

Ema, I have not read the entire article (too tired from lack of sleep), but this is interesting. If you remember me, I am all of a sudden dealing with a histamine issue, and the last nearly 2 months have been hell for me. Unable to eat, lost 10% of my body weight in a couple of wks. Multiple chemical sensitivites.

I've stabilized my weight loss through the Failsafe elimination diet over the last 4 wks but am still having histamine issues.

The one thing that caught my eye with this article is that for the first time in my 22 years of menstrating (I'm 34), I missed my last period. I have ALWAYS been very regular, but it did not come this month. I wonder if this is due to the weight loss. Just another problem for me to worry about, I guess.

When I first got sick I went from being super regular to very random as well. I was on the pill and would have spotting for weeks and then nothing for months. I did get a UTI and now I haven't had a period for about 4 months, just occasional spotting.

Hope you feel better soon:)

Gondwanaland

That is very interesting. When I first had hot flashes from stopping the pill back in 2011, I had no idea about histamines. Then a couple of weeks ago I had a reactivation of hot flasshes from eating mushrooms seasoned with garlic. :oops:

rosie26

That is very interesting. When I first had hot flashes from stopping the pill back in 2011, I had no idea about histamines. Then a couple of weeks ago I had a reactivation of hot flasshes from eating mushrooms seasoned with garlic. :oops:
It really is interesting and I need investigate this more. I have had a lot more burning symptoms since menopause and the whole menopause thing has deteriorated my ME.

rosie26

Let me give you an example of the interplay of the hormones and histamine: Estrogen can modulate the binding of histamine to its receptors. Studies on rabbit hearts showed that the vessels of animals who had had their ovaries removed [meaning that their estrogen production had stopped] exhibited hypersensitivity to histamine, but this was restored to normal when they were given estrogen.
Edit: quote from @Ema link above.

This is interesting, ever since the menopause began for me 3 years ago I have had burning and flushing which has now become severe. My hands have got worse as well with worsening flare ups of cracked inflamed skin on my fingers. I am trialing antihistamines at the moment - is there anything else I could be trying!? - I guess hormone replacement, hmm.
Saw the doctor today. I now have some hormone replacement tabs. It will be interesting to see if this improves things for me.

rosie26

I'm finding 2 years into menopause that it is causing havoc on my immune system.
It is so disappointing @Mij. I was having small improvements each year before menopause hit. Which had boosted my confidence that I was on my way up and hopefully out of this illness, even if it was 20 years away, at least I thought I was heading in the right direction. Perhaps some of us are more sensitive to the hormonal changes of menopause than others and do a lot worse. Don't know.

From what I have experienced, the ME deterioration caused by the menopause is a different deterioration experience from that of severe onset (severe onset was a full-on storm from hell that was in stuck mode for the first years - the very worst ME experience I have had). The menopause deterioration feels more like a destructive progression that is affecting my organs - lungs, at the moment. I think the estrogen must have been protecting me before menopause. It just feels this way. The burning I am getting is not good.

I've taken a hormone replacement tablet today and will see how things go - hoping this will be the right treatment.

Mij

@rosie26 I understand that boost of confidence you're talking about, and then that reminder creeps in once again that this illness takes on a life of it's own. I take it one day at time.

I actually thought I would breeze through menopause because I was doing so much better. Talk about over confidence, eh? My sleep is fantastic though, go figure.

I'm reading that hormone replacement for a short period is helpful. I may go see my doctor and discuss this with her if it continues to get worse. I hope you get relief soon. Keep us posted.

rosie26

Hi @Mij Yes, I don't like these different directions, it's, oh no, WTH now. Not more stuff to have to figure out.

My mother seemed to get through menopause alright and I checked with her this morning and she said she never had any problems with menopause, no hot flushes at all. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Lucky Mum. :D And her 4 sisters seemed to go through it okay as well. You'd think I would follow suit.

My sleep is good too, most of the time now. I am waking up with the night sweats a lot but going straight back to sleep again. It's good that you are reading up about hormone replacement. I have had to jump straight in without looking into it at depth. If this helps me, I am not going to worry about cancer in the future - I feel like what I have got going on now could take me out sooner. :nervous:

I'll let you know how I get on and I'd be interested to hear if the hormone replacement makes a difference for you as well.

Last edited:

Mij

@rosie26 my mother didn't have any symptoms either-zero. Her sister on the other hand continued hot flashes and racing heart right up into her mid 70's!

The night and day sweats/hot flashes are becoming less and less and more tolerable. I look greasy all the time. I'm glad your sleep is good! This makes the difference for me.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck!