• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autoimmune disease in animals?!

Strawberry

It turns out that Knut was killed by an autoimmune disorder called anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, a kind of brain inflammation. Past work implicated encephalitis in his death, but hinted that a virus or bacteria was to blame.

The new results raise the possibility that anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis is relatively common across the animal kingdom. So theoretically, zoo animals and even some endangered species in the wild could potentially get treatment, Greenwood said.
http://www.livescience.com/52000-kn...dentified.html?cmpid=NL_OAP_weekly_2015-08-27

Too bad we aren't popular zoo polar bears?

Hutan

His mother Tosca rejected him at birth (Dec. 5, 2006), and his brother, who was born the same day, died just four days later.

So the zookeeper Thomas Dörflein bottle-fed Knut, forming a deep bond with the cub.
When Dörflein died suddenly of a heart attack in 2008, it was as if Knut was orphaned again. And Knut had a difficult time as a grown bear. He was rejected by potential mates and constantly fought with other polar bears and was separated from them.

A history of severe emotional trauma. If only he could have had some CBT and a program of GET, Knut might still be with us today.

Hutan

Yes, this is really interesting. e.g.From Susannah Cahalan's website that Denise provided the link to

On Friday, November 6, 2009 we received Jayden’s diagnosis of anti-NMDAR encephalitis, an auto-immune form of encephalitis caused by an overactive immune system. The doctors believe that Jayden’s immune system had fought off a cold and continued working after. This caused her body to produce too many antibodies that resulted in her brain attacking her body. At this point, she was just a shell, lying in bed. We wondered if she even knew we were there. Her treatment began immediately. Two doses of Rituximab, an IV cancer treatment that would kill all of her b-cells and destroy the antibodies. She would also receive 9 monthly treatments of IVIG, an IV blood product that would help boost her recovery. She also received a high dose IV course of steroids to help reduce the inflammation in her brain./QUOTE]

digital dog

We'll all be breaking into veterinary clinics stealing their medications.
Do you think Jonathan Edwards should be forwarded this?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
If this makes it into the mainstream news it could actually be quite handy. Living in Germany, the next time I have to explain my disease, I'll be able to say "you know Knut ... " and I'll be met with immediate understanding and concern instead of the uncomprehending and annoying reactions I sometimes get.

When I go to the University hospital in Berlin next year I might actually meet the medical team that diagnosed Knut. I'll see if I can restrain myself from asking why I had to wait 9 months for an appointment with a dead bear in the queue ahead of me.

digital dog

'Okay make an orderly queue; bears front of the line, lions next, then penguins...humans you can get to the back, we'll get to you if we have the time and resourses.'

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Or perhaps Knut was a perfectionist polar bear. More concerned with impressing the public than cultivating an inner peace.

He would certainly have been a perfect CBT patient - throw him a fish and he does what he's told.

Hutan

tumblr_ni3ekge5Ze1remfvlo1_400.jpg

Myhill on energy summit said:
People with M.E. are perfectionists who burn the candle at both ends - the personality that gets you into M.E. doesn't help you get out of it.