• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC TV interview

Graham

Senior Moment
Hi all.

Last Friday (21st August) I was interviewed by Mark Norman of BBC South-East Today. I had been in touch with him for some time about the lack of official investment into biomedical research, and of the plight of the severely affected. He has seen "Voices from the Shadows" and is very sympathetic. Of course, the interview will be pruned down to around one minute, and that includes shots of me walking my dog George (well there has to be some eye-candy!), so I don't know how much will be included

I gather it has already been shown this morning (Tuesday 25th August), and the programme is also due to go out at 13:30, 18:30 and 22:25. It should also be put on iPlayer later today, but only for a day. I'm guessing that the BBC judge the popularity of items by the response, so it's over to you folks! I have posted it on Facebook and to local support groups. Please feel free to pass the word around.

I have no idea whether it comes across well or not, but to be honest, that doesn't matter as much as the response.

Thanks

Graham

George1.jpg

Dolphin

Dolphin

From Twitter:

mark norman ‏@MarkNormanNews 1h1 hour ago
Is enough being done to find medical diagnosis and treatment for ME @actionforme and sufferer say not @bbcsoutheast1330

https://twitter.com/MarkNormanNews/status/636134349587525632

Probably good if some people either re-tweet this or simply favourite it (I'm not talking about the Phoenix Rising post but the tweet itself).
Another tweet people could favourite or re-tweet is:
https://twitter.com/bbcsoutheast/status/636146065050370048

BBC South East‏@bbcsoutheast
VIDEO: Graham McPhee hasn't been able to work since discovering he had ME after a routine operation a decade ago http://bbc.in/1JUzeTo

digital dog

Just to say that the reporter Mark Norman I think emailed and thanked me for my comment. He said that they have had a lot of response about the programme so will hopefully do something similar in the future.
I encouraged him to watch Voices in the Shadow but now I'm wondering if that's the right documentary.

Graham

Senior Moment
I now think the iPlayer version doesn't get uploaded until the final news-shot at 10:40. The 6:30 version was longer, and had more detail, but didn't mention the young and the severely ill, which is what drives me. I'll add a link when it appears. The 30 second clip doesn't really have a good balance. Whether there will be a youtube version is another matter. But to be honest, it doesn't warrant it. What is needed is a flood of comments so that the BBC will note that this is an important issue and is worthy of fuller treatment.

Digital dog, I suggested Voices to Mark Norman, and he certainly watched some of it. He thought it deserved to be broadcast. There was, of course, more material than shown, and Mark is very sympathetic and understanding of the situation.