• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Indian Head Massage for ME/CFS

Hello All x

I was wondering if anybody has experienced Indian Head Massage for their ME. I have the condition myself but am studying it and I was looking to put some details of how people have found the treatment both positive and negative for my case studies?

Out of curiosity I am qualified in Massage therapy to how do people feel body massage helps their condition(s)?

thank you for your help

Jo xx

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I had lymphatic drainage massage once and had good results. The lymphatic system is involved in (at least some) ME, so I think this might be the type of massage most likely to help.

Effi

Hi @jojo2501 and welcome!

Like @Little Bluestem I've had very good results with Manual Lymphatic Drainage (Dr Vodder technique in my case). Apparently my lymphatic system gets clogged very easily (I would guess this is caused by overactive immune system/could also be other processes going on in ME that create a lot of waste). These massages for me have resulted in less muscle/joint pain, less overall heaviness in the body, less headaches. So for me it's not curative, but it does give me a better daily life quality.

What is Indian Head Massage?

mango

Hello Jo,

I got a series of Indian head massage sessions some years ago (when I was much less ill than I am today). It felt nice but it didn't do anything (good nor bad) for M.E or any of its symptoms.

Today, being much more ill, my body wouldn't be able to tolerate anything like that -- it's much too fragile, can't cope with any kind of manipulation (physical, energetic and otherwise).

(I am/used to be a massage therapist too; mainly ayurvedic and thai yoga massage + a little bit of reflexology and craniosacral.)

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Out of curiosity I am qualified in Massage therapy to how do people feel body massage helps their condition(s)?
Good results from Perrin technique. For months prior, I had constant and profound brain fog. It gradually improved with treatment. Not resolved but very much better. It also helped with muscular discomfort particular in the shoulder area and increased flexibility in the spine.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
In my experience it makes all my symptoms worse for about three days. Because of this, I have avoided massage in recent years. Perhaps a massage therapist who knew specifically how to work with an ME/CFS patient might provide a different outcome.

perchance dreamer

I have fibro and had to stop getting massages because they caused flares. I'm doing rolfing sessions now and find it far more effective than massage. The guy I go to is gentle, uses other methods such as craniosacral, and has worked on fibro patients before.

Effi

Perhaps a massage therapist who knew specifically how to work with an ME/CFS patient might provide a different outcome.
This has been my experience too. The outcome very much depends on the kind of massage (i.e. how much sensory stimulation), and if the therapist is willing to work according to your needs as PWME. If executed well it gives me immense relief. If not I'll crash for days.

junkcrap50

I just discovered that massage seems to help me when I feel worse than normal. It's remarkable that it even clears some of my brain fog. It also eases my muscle aches/muscle sludge feeling, helps me fall asleep if done before bed, and lessens just general malaise feeling & mood. It's not a miracle solution, but I feel noticeably better afterwards - caveat being sometimes it helps more than other times.

And my "massages" are barely massages. I have a family member use a massage gun for a couple minutes in each body location (back of legs, back/spine, shoulder/traps/neck, front of legs, chest & arms). Probably 15 minutes tops. Using the massage gun is very easy for my family member.

I'm familiar with CFS patients have lymph issues/dysfunction/insufficiency. And the research in the brain lymphatics (glymphs) system.

I usually try to run the gun in a lymph drainage motion (starting at extremities & towards major lymph nodes), but I haven't noticed it makes a difference compared to when the massage is random/opposite directions.

This is a new symptom / change / observation, too. Which is weird. I used to relatively frequently get professional massages & massages at the massage school because I have terrible knots & coat hanger pain, and it never helped my CFS symptoms. And even past massage gun massages didn't make this noticeable difference. It felt good and might have made me more relaxed temporarily, but never improved my brain fog, malaise & mood, & muscle aches.

Any idea why it's somehow now helping? Any other ideas to help with the lymph drainage? (I'm going to try the perrin / glymphatic drainage technique. And searching the forum, I saw red root tincture moves the lymphs.

Rufous McKinney

I seem to get too sick from massage, acupuncture, or even trying lymph cleanse herbs. I get worse and dont; seem to reach the place where I feel better or it doesn't matter.

Mostly I take baths in epsom salt, and sometimes REALLY hot to try to sweat.

I have a big massage "gun"..I use VERY briefly (thirty seconds, a minute) (not 15).

In theory, using the massager on some big muscle groups SHOULD help sort of get things flowing better. But where is this Better place?

If I get acupuncture, it's 1/10 a normal treatment. And 15 minutes max. And still I'll go home and its PEM.

My massage friend was allowed to work only on my one muscle in my neck which is a mess (coat hanger thing)

Good results from Perrin technique. For months prior, I had constant and profound brain fog. It gradually improved with treatment. Not resolved but very much better. It also helped with muscular discomfort particular in the shoulder area and increased flexibility in the spine.
I couldn't cope with the Perrin Technique. I felt much worse and didn't have the energy to do the cold and heat packs a few times a day. Also as I lived on my own I couldn't do the back massage three times a day. It was also very expensive.

maddietod

I've just started with weekly lymphatic drainage sessions. I'm testing it for brain fog and/or insomnia. I got here after using Perrin's simple head drainage protocol for congestion from a tooth infection. I couldn't believe how much stuff came down my throat.