• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bacteria use toxins to turn our own bodies against us

Hip

Certainly very interesting, and like many aspects of how infections may undermine health and cause disease, definitely under-researched.

Some vaccines work by targeting a bacterial toxin rather than the bacteria itself. In the case of the bacterium Clostridium tetani for example, the vaccine for this is the tetanus toxoid vaccine, which generates antibodies against the toxins created by this bacterium, rather than against the bacterium itself. The bacterial toxins cause the major problems during a Clostridium tetani infection, but if the body has been primed to make antibodies against these toxins, they are neutralized before they can do harm.

And then of course there is the famous Botox, botulinum toxin, which is a toxin from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, and the most lethal toxin known.

On the plus side, the alpha hemolysin toxin from Staphylococcus seems to be a very good treatment for ME/CFS for some patients, possibly through some immunomodulatory effects. Until a few years ago, many Swedish ME/CFS patients were deriving significant benefits from regular shots with Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine. See this thread: Staph vaccine to treat CFS??

Unfortunately, the only manufacturer making the Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine withdrew this very valuable ME/CFS treatment because they could not afford to update the vaccine formula (regulations required a new mercury-free formula to be developed), so the vaccine was withdrawn.

There is a good list of the various bacteria and fungal toxins at the bottom of this Wikipedia article (to see the list of toxins, click on "Show" at the bottom right of the page).

Last edited:

Violeta

Certainly very interesting, and like many aspects of how infections may undermine health and cause disease, definitely under-researched.

Some vaccines work by targeting a bacterial toxin rather than the bacteria itself. In the case of the bacterium Clostridium tetani for example, the vaccine for this is the tetanus toxoid vaccine, which generates antibodies against the toxins created by this bacterium, rather than against the bacterium itself. The bacterial toxins cause the major problems during a Clostridium tetani infection, but if the body has been primed to make antibodies against these toxins, they are neutralized before they can do harm.

And then of course there is the famous Botox, botulinum toxin, which is a toxin from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, and the most lethal toxin known.

On the plus side, the alpha hemolysin toxin from Staphylococcus seems to be a very good treatment for ME/CFS for some patients, possibly through some immunomodulatory effects. Until a few years ago, many Swedish ME/CFS patients were deriving significant benefits from regular shots with Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine. See this thread: Staph vaccine to treat CFS??

Unfortunately, the only manufacturer making the Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine withdrew this very valuable ME/CFS treatment because they could not afford to update the vaccine formula (regulations required a new mercury-free formula to be developed), so the vaccine was withdrawn.

There is a good list of the various bacteria and fungal toxins at the bottom of this Wikipedia article (to see the list of toxins, click on "Show" at the bottom right of the page).

Tempting!

roller

wiggle jiggle
How about a tetanus shot?

After reading up on the tetanus symptoms (lock jaw, muscle tensions, eXotoxins, difficulty swallowing etc.) I am strongly considering this. I was born with a long lasting navel infection.

There are two shots possible, I understand:
a) normal vaccination with tetanus toxins or something
b) an IGG shot.

When someone already has tetanus, an IGG-Shot with tetanus-antibodies is done.

The IGG-shot-ingredients seem: Sodium chloride, Glycine and Sodium acetate
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/14702

...means, no metal.. sounds reasonable?
It is said not to last long, and it has to be repeated.

very interestingly...
Medically nothing can be done about the tetanus exotoxins produced.
Or once you are infected with tetanus bacteria - you just are. antibiotics dont seem to help much (i understood), nothing homeopathic either. no herbs - just for the side effects a little.

Heat may destroy the exotoxins, but its about 80-90C, around boiling temperatur. Bit too much?
but then... H2O2 destroys exotoxins !?

Did i understand that right?
That would be breaking news to me, as this oxygene h2o2 stuff did do some miracle.

effective antibiotics against tetanus (best one first):
- sparfloxacin,
- erythromycin,
- tetracycline,
- gentamycin,
- chloramphenicol,
- metronidazole and
- ciprofloxacin

A 2008 study in Kano, Nigeria sought to determine the susceptibility of Clostridium tetani to various antibiotics. Soil was collected from five different locations and cultured under anaerobic conditions to observe the number of samples which contained Clostridium tetani spores. The bacteria was observed in 60% of the soil samples. The samples were treated with amoxicillin, chloramphenicol, tetracycline, erythromycin, augmentin, co–trimoxazole, metronidazol, penicillin V, gentamycin, cloxacillin, sparfloxacin and ciprofloxacin to determine antibiotic susceptibility. The most effective antibiotic in preventing colony growth was observed to be sparfloxacin, with erythromycin, tetracycline, gentamycin, chloramphenicol, metronidazole and ciprofloxacin also preventing growth. The remaining antibiotics appeared to be inaffective against Clostridium tetani. [Bukar et al.]

Last edited: