• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Starting antibiotics. Whoa, intense brain fog!

NilaJones

Hello all --

After many delays and much research, I am finally starting an abx protocol (cefuroxime and doxycycline for 2 months) prescribed by KDM for a Yersinia infection.

I took the first cef a couple hours ago. Very brainfoggy and a bit of dizziness and ataxia. Craving vitamin C.

Do y'all think I should start the doxy today, too, or wait a day or two?

Is this brain fog going to go away?

Update: After 4 hours, a pint of water, 2 grams vit C, some prescrip-assist and orthoobiotic, misc other supps, I feel less like I have been hit by a truck. A truck full of dizzy.

Doxy, or no?

NilaJones

You might consider coffee enemas or something else to help liver get rid of the toxins being released:hug:.
Thanks!

Are there other things that might work? I can't even handle the caffeine in a chocolate cip :).

xrunner

Hello all --
Doxy, or no?
If you wait for three four days, in case of any adverse reactions, you'll know which one it is.
For detox you need to get your glutathione up (vit C raises glutathione). If you tolerate the supplements the simplified methylation protocol will do that. A diet rich in soluble fibre helps detoxing and probiotics will prevent damage to your gut. If you have Lyme, anything that raises body temperature (saunas, baths, etc) will help weakening/reduce the microbes, that is if you tolerate it (otherwise it may make you worse).

NilaJones

Thank you, everyone!

I took the 3rd pill of the cef about half an hour ago, and no dizziness yet. Maybe that phase is done, I dunno. With the first two pills it was intense!

This whole process is scary for me, because I almost died from stomach issues a few years back, and recently finally got my gut working fairly well. So I am nervous about messing with it. But there is also the possibility of huge improvement.

Any body have any ideas of what I can take the middle of night pills with? Must be liquid, something that is safe at room temp for 10 hours, no calcium or fat (both interfere with the antibiotics), no grains, and preferably not candida-encouraging (not sweet).

I tried low fat coconut milk this time, but it still seemed pretty fatty (and sweet). Maybe it is preventing absorption and that is why I am not dizzy?

NilaJones

I often took my abx with chamomile tea and honey. Honey is sweet but it inhibits candida.

Oh, thank you! I think honey might help my nausea.

I added the doxy this morning. So far so good. Boy am I tred of being nauseous, though.

I don't know how bad the brain fog is bec I have not been sleeping much for unrelated life reasons. So I am loopy but dunno how much of that is due to abx.

xrunner

Yes @NilaJones doxy gave me quite a bit of nausea. I never found a perfect remedy for that, the only thing that helped somewhat was to eat something dry (eg. bread) after about half hour or an hour.

Hanna

You may try also Nutramedix detox products (Burbur for liver, Pinella for neuro-symptoms, Parsley for kidney function) to alleviate the herxs. It has helped me. Also liposomal glutathion if you tolerate...

NilaJones

Thank you, folks!

The nausea is much less bad. Not sure about the brain fog because I am having a new problem: WIRED. Not sleeping enough at night, and I fear I am doing too much during the day.

I would love some ideas for this, if you have some. Is it a liver toxicity thing?