• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List of BPS article

Cheshire

I think its possible to start a project looking at fallacies and poor reasoning in psychobabble. I wanted to do that in a book but its on hold for now. We could do it as a forum, taking one paper at a time, starting a debate on that one specific aspect of the paper. Psychiatry is vulnerable to this to some extent, but psychogenic psychiatry is completely dependent on fallacious thinking.

I'm not able to take part of such a huge project, but I think it would be interesting to create a kind of list or database of important articles that contradicts the whole BPS model, like say that paper by White that demonstrate that kinesophobia is not the cause of "CFS", or articles showing that AD are not effective.

It would not be that place of debate that @alex3619 evoques, but a simple list where you can easily find the tools you need.

My brain fog prevents me from concentrating deeper today so I can't search for now any references, but what do you think?

alex3619

I am all for a list of key articles, including those that expound the BPS principles. However my proposal is actually quite small, and if my brain were working I could do it myself in week or two with almost any paper, and part time at that. Its impossible to criticize all of psychobabble properly, its very doable for a group to do so with one single paper or press release.

Woolie

There isn't much about, unfortunately.

There are these pretty old articles by Ellen Goudsmit. Trouble is, the references mentioned in them are mainly from the 1980s and before (if you click on the author name you get a link to the abstract, or to the full paper if available).

Goudsmit, E., & Gadd, R. (1991). The psychologisation of illness. Psychologist, 4, 449-53.
Goudsmit, E. M. (1994). All in her mind! Stereotypic views and the psychologisation of women’s illness. Women and health: Feminist perspectives, 7-12.

This is an interesting one:

Horton-Salway, M. (2002). Bio-psycho-social reasoning in GPs’ case narratives: the discursive construction of ME patients’ identities. Health:, 6(4), 401-421.

This one too, a little philosophical, but picks up nicely on the standard "defenses" the BPS proponents trot out.

Ghaemi, S. N. (2009). The rise and fall of the biopsychosocial model. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 195(1), 3-4.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi
I seem to be having trouble finding the full text of the R Sykes article. Can anyone direct me?

Woolie

Oh, another one: Here is a link to the George Davey Smith article, which was recently the subject of its own thread:

Davey Smith, G. (2005). The biopsychosocial approach: a note of caution. Biopsychosocial Medicine: an Integrated approach to understanding illness, 77-102.

Woolie

Keith Geraghty

Dear Forum Members, I am a researcher at the University of Manchester, within the primary care section of the school of medicine, I have written a paper on the BPS Model and harm in the medical encounter, I hope to have it published very soon.

I am interested in working on one or two other articles on this general topic - I have a number of works in progress
a. exploring bias in psychological based studies of ME/CFS
b. conflicts of interest in ME/CFS research
c. patient safety and harm, patients experiences of the medical encounter

if any forum members are researchers or are interested in writing papers on this topic please get in touch, if you pm me I can reply with my contact details . I am writing a few different papers and writing grant proposals thus I am looking to co-author papers.

kind regards,

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
Hi @Keith Geraghty
Welcome to the forum!

I just wanted to suggest that you will get more replies if you repost your request as a new thread. This would make it visible to all members viewing new content, as opposed to the few following this thread.

(To make a new topic click on forums in the menu, pick a section (eg "general ME/CFS news), there is a "post new thread" button in the upper right corner.)

:)