• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unexplainable chest rash which appears frequently. Pics included.

Avengers26

I have this chest rash which comes & goes frequently. It gets very itchy when it gets red & inflamed. I have asked several doctors about it & I have never received a satisfactory answer. Does any one have a clue what possibly might cause this?

Attachments

• IMG_20150811_142807807.jpg
    IMG_20150811_142807807.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20150811_142810875.jpg
    IMG_20150811_142810875.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 95

GracieJ

I do not know what is causing your rash.

About two years ago, I began breaking out with a rash that looked like poison ivy, mostly on one arm, sometimes elsewhere. Long story short, I am allergic to corn, which is in everything. It was a long ten months figuring it all out.

Looking back, my back had itched for weeks prior to any breakouts. It still does, and gets worse at times. Some of my sleep supplements have corn derivatives, and no suitable substitute is available.

Keep a food diary for a while and see if there are any patterns.

It seems the immune impairment side of ME/CFS can result in the occasional odd rash. I know it was that way for me for years. They came and went and could be anywhere.

melihtas

I have had the same rash in same place on and off for about 20 years. I don't know what causes it. I use Betnovate Cream (betamethasone) and it disappears in one day until it reappears after a few weeks.

slysaint

Just a word of warning re using betnovate which is a topical corticosteroid. See Red skin syndrome, ITSAN.
Another group of sufferers trying to get the condition recognised by the medical establishment.

Gijs

I don't want to make you scared but it could be a symptome of HIV. I hope you have been tested negative. In that case it could be heat and sweat rash.

Avengers26

@ahmo @CFS_for_19_years One dermatologist i saw thought it was seborrheic dermatitis. He prescribed me selenium sulfide lotion? for it but that made it extremely worse. It got extreme red & inflamed & stayed that way for several days even after stopping the lotion per the dermatologist's advice.
I will check out those websites.

@GracieJ Keeping a food diary & looking for food allergies is a great idea. It's something I have suspected & plan to do when I get a better handle on LDN (It's affecting my sleep badly & causing me increased fatigue even though I have upped it very slowly. But, I want to try it for at least 6 months. But, that's a separate topic).

@Gijs No, I had all kind of tests done earlier. Not that there was a reason to suspect it in the first place.

@Gingergrrl Yes, It was normal.

@Christopher I do have an ongoing mold problem at my home. That might be something to consider.

Avengers26

@Gingergrrl I live in the midwest, Chicago area. Btw, How do you guys go about finding "good" doctors? Word of mouth? Is Angie's List reliable? Anything else? I will make a separate post about this.

snowathlete

@ahmo @CFS_for_19_years One dermatologist i saw thought it was seborrheic dermatitis. He prescribed me selenium sulfide lotion? for it but that made it extremely worse. It got extreme red & inflamed & stayed that way for several days even after stopping the lotion per the dermatologist's advice.
I will check out those websites.

@GracieJ Keeping a food diary & looking for food allergies is a great idea. It's something I have suspected & plan to do when I get a better handle on LDN (It's affecting my sleep badly & causing me increased fatigue even though I have upped it very slowly. But, I want to try it for at least 6 months. But, that's a separate topic).

@Gijs No, I had all kind of tests done earlier. Not that there was a reason to suspect it in the first place.

@Gingergrrl Yes, It was normal.

@Christopher I do have an ongoing mold problem at my home. That might be something to consider.

Maybe try a new dermatologist? I have seborrheic dermatitis and your rash doesn't look much like it in my opinion.

Avengers26

@snowathlete I was not impressed with that diagnosis. Also, while the rash comes & goes, the underlying area is always, for lack of a better word, scalded.

Meanwhile, I started a new post in General ME/CFS Discussion Forum on how to find "good" doctors.

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl I live in the midwest, Chicago area. Btw, How do you guys go about finding "good" doctors? Word of mouth? Is Angie's List reliable? Anything else? I will make a separate post about this.

Never mind, I am in LA! I found this dermatologist from a trusted friend but in general I agree it is very hard to find good docs. I have never used Angie's list and not familiar with it. Often I search on-line for a specific topic or look at internet boards or ask friends (if it is for someone local.)

Gondwanaland

@Avengers26 @melihtas
Take a look at oxalates
http://www.lowoxalate.info/
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Trying_Low_Oxalates/info

B6 and B1 are supposed to help with it. When I took B1 alone my 20yo rash spot got so much worse, but taking P5P with it resolved it.

Also it is possible that mold exposure makes you oxalate sensitive/endogenous producer

The foods I found out I had to limit were plaintains, sweet potatos, spinach, carrots, beets, nuts. Small amounts of them 2x weekely is fine.

Increasing dairy intake helped (I don't tolerate milk though)

Watch out for excessive vit C supplementation (up to 200mg daily should be harmless)