• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hiatal Hernia and the connection with chronic illness

Tired of being sick

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done last week..

The colonoscopy showed 2 polyps which were removed
Evidence of Diverticulosis in the ascending,transverse and descending colon..

The endoscopy findings were a *sliding hiatal hernia*
*I read that almost everyone who has chronic illness will have
a * hiatal hernia.*
Have you been diagnosed wit this *hiatal hernia*?

If so, could this be another physical marker when diagnosing SEID/ME?

This also could be connected with Vagus nerve dysfunction as well.
Just about everything wrong with me the Vagus nerve controls......

Also a reflux-induced esophagitis was found.
A biopsy was taken but no results yet.....

Last edited:

Tired of being sick

Where did you get that from? Why not add a poll to get some actual numbers.
Probable Cause: Fibromyalgia and DSS
modernherbalmedicine.com/.../probable-cause-fibromyalgia-and-dss.htm...
A hiatal hernia is a shady character because it typically hides in the shadows, ... Jack told me that he'd never seen a chronically ill person who didn't have one. ... It is a major factor in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, two of the major ..JACK RITCHASON, N.D., Ph.D..

What's the use? As this thread had just three replies...

Last edited:
Got diagnosed with a paraesophogial hernia last November, but while the doctor said it was small, the report said it was fairly wide and worse than he described. Seems like when my stomach flairs up I feel worse and less energetic. Acid blockers didn't help

Wayne

This also could be connected with Vagus nerve dysfunction as well. Just about everything wrong with me the Vagus nerve controls.....

Hi @Tired of being sick,

Vagus nerve dysfunction has been, and I believe continues to be a big factor for me. I did an atlas repositioning technique a number of years ago called Atlas Profilax that I believe rleased a lot of pressure on my VN. But I continue to do things that I think helps gently stimulate my vagus nerve on a daily basis..

I massage my abdomen and GI tract on a daily basis, because I believe this increases nerve energy in areas of my gut that would normally be supplied by my vagus nerve. Given I massage my stomach area while doing my daily routine, I believe it's helped me avoid a serious hiatal hernia problem as well.

I've heard there are some chiropractors who use special techniques to "adjust" a hiatal hernia. My partner has an HH that "acts up" occasionally, and she's developed a technique for herself to get it to release--usually within a few minutes. For anybody who feels they're dealing with a hiatal hernia, I believe there are things that can be done to address it.

Best, Wayne

Last edited: