• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

bad effects of amalgam removal

Hi everyone,

My case may be untypical. Lured by stories of beneficial impact of removing amalgam fillings I decided to have mine removed. It was 5 months ago – I had 2 fillings removed at one session and 3 remaining ones a week later (it was much too hasty).

Since then I have been feeling horrible – my old and new complaints flared up (depression, yeast, itchy scalp, vision issues, twiches in fingers, crackles in the head, etc.)

Supplements I used to take before are now of little help. I have been feeling terribly, emotionally, physically, also I feel an utter fool. (A secondary issue is the astronomical fee I paid to the dentists for 'safe' amalgam removal.)

In my case it may not be about mercury, I had normal levels of mercury in the hair both before and after the amalgam removal. I don't believe in chelation protocols (tried chlorella, cilantro, ALA – they are not good for me).

I feel helpless and am considering having amalgam put back in (not all 5 fillings but 1, 2 or 3).

I don't know if it could help somehow, don't want to make matters worse.

Additionally, I'm worried about my new composite fillings and their BPA content (G-aenial Universal Flo).

All wise advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

P.S.
Not CFS but struggling with chronic fatigue as a symptom.

Welcome ifishouldfallbehind.

The main thing I am taking away from your situation is that you had fillings removed and replaced and now you aren't feeling well.

So my question is, why do you want to go through that same process all over? Sorry if that comes off the wrong way.

The dentist is going to have to remove even more of your teeth to put amalgams back in. You could always try gold, ceramic or glass fillings if you are worried about both amalgams and composite fillings. Just my $.02

Last edited:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I went through the process of having about ten amalgams removed over three sessions with a biological dentist plus help from an integrative doctor. The doctor prescribed stuff to take before and after each session to bind any mercury.

My thoughts are you were somehow exposed to mercury, maybe swallowed or inhaled some in the process and you are feeling the consequences. I would absolutely NOT have amalgams put back in. I'd recommend seeing a naturopath or integrative doctor who can detoxify you from possible mercury exposure.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Please don't have your amalgams put back in that is definitely not the way to go. Everyone is different some people do regain health immediately after amalgam removal others like you (and I) don't.

You need to take some sort of gentle binders, charcoal, Modified Citrus Pectin, Zeolite, Bentonite Clay, oral or in footbaths etc, just small amounts, these will help remove the mercury that is in your system, slowly is better. Drink plenty of water and good sources of protein. Onions and garlic are natural chelators.

caledonia

Hi - please DO NOT have any more mercury put back in. It will only make your situation worse.

I have been through similar and have done much research. I believe the only safe protocol is Andrew Hall Cutler chelation (also called frequent low dose chelation).

The reason that traditional protocols don't work is that chelators such as ALA and DMSA have a half life of about 3 hours. If you only take them once a day, the mercury will come out of your tissues temporarily, but then redistribute instead of excreting from the body. This will make you feel worse.

If you take the chelators every three hours the mercury will be able come out of the body safely. Using a low dose and going low and slow is also important. There are also many auxiliary supplements which are helpful for minimizing symptoms.

My suggestion is to contact the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo Group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/frequent-dose-chelation/info and ask for help with your situation to minimize symptoms.

Don't do any chelation at this time.

The amounts of mercury shown in the hair test may be low, when they are actually high in your body. The key to interpreting the test is to look at the mineral status and see if that is disordered.

Cutler has written two books which are extremely informative - "Amalgam Illness" and one on interpreting hair tests.

sscobalt93

Hi - please DO NOT have any more mercury put back in. It will only make your situation worse.

I have been through similar and have done much research. I believe the only safe protocol is Andrew Hall Cutler chelation (also called frequent low dose chelation).

The reason that traditional protocols don't work is that chelators such as ALA and DMSA have a half life of about 3 hours. If you only take them once a day, the mercury will come out of your tissues temporarily, but then redistribute instead of excreting from the body. This will make you feel worse.

If you take the chelators every three hours the mercury will be able come out of the body safely. Using a low dose and going low and slow is also important. There are also many auxiliary supplements which are helpful for minimizing symptoms.

My suggestion is to contact the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo Group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/frequent-dose-chelation/info and ask for help with your situation to minimize symptoms.

Don't do any chelation at this time.

The amounts of mercury shown in the hair test may be low, when they are actually high in your body. The key to interpreting the test is to look at the mineral status and see if that is disordered.

Cutler has written two books which are extremely informative - "Amalgam Illness" and one on interpreting hair tests.

Would you recommend getting the gut functioning better before chelation? I had at least 2 amalgams in my life time. They were all when I was a kid. I may of had 4. It's hard to remember. I have DMSA to start, but I read somewhere to get the gut functioning better before chelation. I am currently taking Sodium Alginate as well as doing 1 hour long sauna sessions 3-4 times a week.

xrunner

I feel helpless and am considering having amalgam put back in (not all 5 fillings but 1, 2 or 3).
That'll certainly make matter worse.
Personally I'd follow @caledonia advice, it's the safest for people who are sensitive to mercury.
An additional consideration, although ALA is the most effective intracellular chelator, you're not supposed to use it for months after amalgams removal, that is before you've reduced your blood levels by using DMSA or DMPS only.

This would be my best suggestion too.

There's aslo another very solid book on the topic which advocates the same principles
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-Poisoning-Undiagnosed-David-Hammond/dp/1494747898/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439122224&sr=8-3&keywords=david hammond

caledonia

Would you recommend getting the gut functioning better before chelation? I had at least 2 amalgams in my life time. They were all when I was a kid. I may of had 4. It's hard to remember. I have DMSA to start, but I read somewhere to get the gut functioning better before chelation. I am currently taking Sodium Alginate as well as doing 1 hour long sauna sessions 3-4 times a week.

I think that would be a good idea. You're supposed to wait 3 months after you get your amalgams out before chelating anyway, so you can use this time to work on your gut. It's common for people with mercury to have candida. Candida causes leaky gut. Gut infections such as candida also hold onto metals, so by working on your gut infections, you will start to release some metals.

I suggest using the 4R Gut Rebuilding program - see my signature link below which will take you to a page with a link to it.

sscobalt93

I think that would be a good idea. You're supposed to wait 3 months after you get your amalgams out before chelating anyway, so you can use this time to work on your gut. It's common for people with mercury to have candida. Candida causes leaky gut. Gut infections such as candida also hold onto metals, so by working on your gut infections, you will start to release some metals.

I suggest using the 4R Gut Rebuilding program - see my signature link below which will take you to a page with a link to it.
I havent had any amalgams in for probably 8 years now. So I am ready to chelate, it's just my stomach is a mess. And I know with chelation you move metals around. So I want to make sure my gut is strong enough for it

Wayne

All wise advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear how badly your amalgam removal went for you. I had a similar experience, with a "holistic" dentist who persuaded me to go way too fast, and didn't use enough precautionary measures. I felt truly horrible for several months afterwards, but eventually was able to get back to a baseline. I don't recall if I did specifically to recover.

But these days, I daily use bentonite clay to help detoxify my body. I ingest some throughout the day so that there's always some in my alimentary canal, and I occasionally do clay foot baths, which often leave me feeling immensely better afterwards. But like any other detoxification method, it needs to be approached with caution, so you don't go beyond your limits. Relatively high doses of Vit. C has often been used by some conscientious dentists who specialize in amalgam removal. Saunas--especially FIR--might also be helpful

Best, Wayne

Ian

Hi everyone,
My case may be untypical. Lured by stories of beneficial impact of removing amalgam fillings I decided to have mine removed. It was 5 months ago – I had 2 fillings removed at one session and 3 remaining ones a week later (it was much too hasty).

Did your dentist follow the IAOMT protocol for amalgam removal? Simply allowing your local dentist to drill them out will absolutely shower your body with mercury. I've seen studies that have shown it can take up to a year for levels of mercury to return to 'normal' levels.

Many people do get benefit from amalgam removal, but it has to be done properly, and completely. You'd be surprised at the mercury that gets left behind. People end up with amalgam tattoos in their gums, on x-rays you can see it in old extraction sockets. It's used sometimes at the end of root canals.

As for putting amalgam back in, personally I'd rather not have a material that has to be legally classified and disposed of as toxic waste when it's outside the mouth.

caledonia

I havent had any amalgams in for probably 8 years now. So I am ready to chelate, it's just my stomach is a mess. And I know with chelation you move metals around. So I want to make sure my gut is strong enough for it

Yes, I would still work on your gut prior to chelating. The 4R program should take about 2-3 months. You may not be able to get complete resolution without mercury removal, but it should still put you in a better place for chelation.

Hello,

Thanks to everyone for your comments and advice.

As I wrote in my first post my case may be untypical. Also, somewhat complicated.

Frankly, I don't have much confidence in detox/chelation (some of you may disagree).

I tried ALA, about 3 months after the dental procedure, in extremely low doses, taken every 3 hours (in accordance with Andrew Cutler's protocol) and I didn't feel good.

I know, some people who have low mercury levels in hair may have this metal accumulated in their other tissues and organs so there's no way to know what it is like in my case in this respect.

But I'm not at all sure that it is mercury that is my main issue, e.g. from what I've read when galvanic currents in fillings are discharged in the wrong way it may be harmful to the patient's brain (just one of possibilities, not necessarily true).

Did your dentist follow the IAOMT protocol for amalgam removal? Simply allowing your local dentist to drill them out will absolutely shower your body with mercury. I've seen studies that have shown it can take up to a year for levels of mercury to return to 'normal' levels.

The dentist who I went to was supposed to apply the IAOMT procedure, judging by the price …
There was a rubber dam, a face mask, oxygen.

Anyway, I have made a terrible mistake and am one of those very few who do regret having their amalgams removed.

In my case this is not only a medical issue, but also psychological, social (I have been so confused in mind - due to the amalgam removal - to become involved in some senseless controversies and botch up some other matters).

(BTW, those of you who are Christian believers – if you would just mention me in this evening's prayers, I'll be grateful).

I was feeling well before the amalgam removal, which I am now missing (that's why I was, and still am, wondering whether putting amalgam back in could make me feel in a similar way again).

Tried to fix what was not broken and now suffer my punishment.

Have a feeling that everything went wrong; still seeking a light at the end of the tunnel.

Wishing good health to everyone (and to myself).

A.B.

That you suffered from the process may indicate that you are very sensitive to one or more of the metals in dental amalgam. If this is the case it might take a while before the situation improves. As for cilantro/chlorella/ALA, there are anecdotal reports that some of these substances can be dangerous when used improperly. Chlorella can also be contaminated with mercury or other toxins.

Ian

Even with proper precautions there is always some exposure. But something that people assume they have to do is chelation after amalgam removal. Natural chelation methods, probably honestly do nothing. But drugs like DMSA are meant for acute exposure, not long term chronic exposure. That doesn't mean they don't work, they absolutely do, but it's a very destructive way of getting it out of the body. They will also strip your body of vital minerals.

It's more than five months now. I'm still not well and missing the time before the unfortunate dental procedure; luckily it's not as bad now as it was a few months ago.

What has recently occurred to my mind is that my ailments may be mostly due to anaesthesia (local). And this seems to me the most likely cause.
I'd said to the dentist twice I'd like only a low dose of an anaesthetic - she gave me a double dose (two injections). I was then lying in the chair (I've read somewhere anaesthetics should not be injected when the patient is in a lying position). I (my cheek) was bleeding quite heavily. The dentist showed a total lack of responsibilty!

I don't have a hundred percent certainty but I think now this may be the culprit (combined with a kind of shock my body was going through because of a too fast replacement of fillings).

Forgive me, that was not very much related to CFS but if someone has had some similar experiences or is familiar with these issues, please write.

digital dog

Just before I read your last post I was going to say that it was probably the injections not the mercury.
You have done the right thing and Im glad you didn't get the mercury put back in.
People can have bad reactions to the injections at the dentist.
I'm not convinced about chelation either. Did it for a year and probably felt worse due to the chlorella and thyroid (shouldn't have chlorella if you have a thyroid issue).
Glad you're on the mend

Wishful

Since your mercury levels were normal before and after, I think it's unlikely that mercury was a factor in your symptoms. My guess is for causes are the drugs or simply the stress on your body from the ordeal. Replacing the fillings again would apply the same non-mercury factors. My suggestion is to wait a bit longer and see if you recover more, perhaps fully.