• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Caprylic Acid supplements may worsen leaky gut? Odd studies

South

Caprylic acid supplements, widely sold in vitamins stores and online, are popular among people who are trying to reduce candida / yeast infections. (For those who need a study for this sentence, there are a few, the only one I had time to dig up for that right now is: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC278470/ )

Ok, so on to the point of my post:

I saw some studies that, I think, say that caprylic acid loosens the junctions of gut cells. The studies portray this as a good thing for improving absorption of prescription drugs taken at the same time, or for the absorption of nutrients. But loosening the junctions of the gut cells isn't a good thing if we already have a gut that is too leaky -- an overly permeable gut.

(and before someone gets into a battle over whether leaky gut exists, google "intestinal permeability" and read some of the science behind it)

I'm not the best at reading sciency lingo, so maybe I misunderstood. Here's one of the studies:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1015840921203?LI=true
Toward the bottom of the text, there's text stating that Caprylic acid increased the permeability of the Paracellular pathway across the Rat Colon Epithelium.

The language in that study is awkward, so here's another one that talks about a similar effect, from sodium caprate (which isn't caprylic acid): when I read both studies and compare the lingo, it seems that caprylic makes gut junctions more permeable.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1018909210879

Last edited:

NilaJones

I have nothing intelligent to say on this subject, but I am sorry to see no one else has responded. Or did the convo move elsewhere? It looks like an intriguing topic.

South

The conversation didn't migrate someplace else, that I know of - I think the topic I brought up with this thread just didn't interest many people.

I take caprylic acid on and off to keep yeasty issues at bay.

I've never done any kind of program for "leaky gut", but might in the future, and stumbled on this study. When I do try to address leaky gut later, I'll stop the caprylic acid and look for some other anti-candida type supplement then, if I need to.

Oci

The conversation didn't migrate someplace else, that I know of - I think the topic I brought up with this thread just didn't interest many people.

I take caprylic acid on and off to keep yeasty issues at bay.

I've never done any kind of program for "leaky gut", but might in the future, and stumbled on this study. When I do try to address leaky gut later, I'll stop the caprylic acid and look for some other anti-candida type supplement then, if I need to.
Topic is new and I didn't see it before. I've been wondering if some of the anti-fungals worsen leaky gut and/or kill off good bacteria. I'm about to give up on the anti-fungals and concentrate on probiotics and resistant starch. Also take Candex for biofilms. Just finished reading great thread...
Candida & Biofilms - Theory & Protocol

ahmo

I posted my notes re herbal anti-Candida and bacteria in a blog post.

Dr. McCombs Candida plan emphasises that 10-undecenoic acid (derived from castor bean oil) is a better choice than caprylic acid. www.candidaplan.com/index.php

My research led me to choose 10-Undecenoic Acid acid rather than caprylic acid as more effective and less toxic.
Thorne Research, Formula SF722, 250 Gelcaps : 10-Undecenoic Acid

South

@ahmo I haven't seen any write-ups about caprylic having toxicity (I don't take McComb's opinion as fact, he is too much of a salesman of his own products for my taste).

Other than the issue of possibly worsening leaky gut, as mentioned in the first post in this thread, the only other problem I know of with both caprylic acid and undecylenic acid is:

They both kill some kinds of bacteria, (but this is true of most non-Rx antifungals, including oregano oil, etc). I can't find the studies right now but found them on medline a few years ago. So both, in addition to killing yeast, kill at least some kinds of bacteria. Good or bad bacteria? I don't think we know. I do think both of these ingredients kill yeast enough to warrant their use even if they damage our good bacteria...

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Just anecdotal but I ended up with SEVERE gastritis after a year of taking caprylic acid for oesophageal candida. I can;t be sure, but I think it really irritated my stomach. Not sure I would take it again - but it is so helpful for yeast issues alongside diet.

Oci

SF722 is very expensive and didn't benefit me. I wouldn't buy this product if you are low on cash.
I took SF722 along with GSE and found them very irritating/damaging to my urinary tract. SF722 is a stronger acid than Caprylic acid and therefore more harsh on the system. I also took for awhile MCT oil which is basically caprylic acid and capric acid. This was when I was semi-following the Bulletproof diet. I believe that it killed off some of my good bacteria (as seen later on the Doctor's Data CDA test. )
Many here have problems with oxalates and there are several threads. Oxalate dumping affecting various systems of the body, is likely related to leaky gut. The thought is that caprylic acid as well as Diflucan and other anti-fungals sets up endogenous production of oxalates in the body which then wrecks havoc. Susan Owens, a researcher and owner of the Yahoo list) has seen many many OAT tests (Organic Acids) showing worse gut function after taking Diflucan or Nystatin. These drugs and likely caprylic acid kill off the candida by punching holes in the yeast cell walls. It is said that they may be doing that to the gut cells too.

I do think oxalate production is connected to yeast problems in the body. Many here on PR are on low oxalate diet. Many are trying various supplements ie certain B vitaimins, calcium citrate, etc.

See http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/oxalate-dumping-a-probiotic-solution.37927/

There are other threads on oxalates on PR too. Also there is a "Trying Low Oxalate" group on yahoo.