• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quit methylation - started mitochondrial stack - still need as much potassium?

I stopped methylation 1 month ago to start focusing on mitochondrial health instead to see whether my symptoms would respond better. It's been working pretty good so far! but I found that I still need lots of potassium supplements.

My stack consists of:

PQQ 20 mg
CoQ10 200 mg
Shilajit 250 mg
Magnesium 120 mg
Potassium 2000-3000 mg

I'm wondering whether these supplements will increase my need for potassium same way as methylation? Its kind of annoying to always bring with me potassium wherever I go, and if I forget it, i'll quickly end up with headache, mood-problems, fatigue, confusion and general cognitive problems. edit: another thing is severe light sensivity in the mornings until I have some potassium

Also, if I end up taking too much potassium at one point, my stomach gets really bad as well (diarrhea) so it is kind of confusing on what my body really need. I'm wondering whether I really absorb the potassium I put in me.

Could it be magnesium? I've read about magnesium defiency causing hypokalemia. When doing methylation, I did not dose magnesium much at all but instead just potassium. I'm generally lost about the potassium thinking I do not need that sort of amounts now that I'm not doing methylation.

Last edited:

ahmo

Magnesium is a good guess...give it a try. Why is shilajit in the stack? I only know it as a metal magnet.

Re K+, I generally take it by footbath, no tummy upset.

Magnesium is a good guess...give it a try. Why is shilajit in the stack? I only know it as a metal magnet.

Re K+, I generally take it by footbath, no tummy upset.

Will give it a try. I do epsom salt baths from time to time and apart from some nausea afterwards, I truly feel better both in my mind and my muscles.

The Shilajit works synergistic with CoQ10 to boost overall energy production and keep more CoQ10 inside the cells. There was a study where the combination generated 27 % better ATP production than CoQ10 alone. I am however aware about the chelating properties, I think its mostly fulvic acid that is responsible for that. That is why I'm only taking half a capsule at this time to build up slowly. Think I had a reaction intially from taking full capsule so figured I take it slow, some days I skip it.

@kraken

I have started and stopped b12 and folate on several occasions and found that I continue to need potassium for up to 5-6weeks after. It may be even longer than that as I have often taken more b12/folate before the hypokalemia slowed down. It seems to have an also binary effect on the occasions I have let it runs it's full course. I'll feel a need for 2,000-3,000mg of potassium one new day, maybe 1,000 then next day, then zero. Shortly thereafter I get histamine symptoms back (freddds low folate symptoms). Nican seems to speed up the shut down of things and halts need for potassium quicker.

@mtayl2

Aha, I see! Thought about taking Niacin actually for this purpose but never got around to do it. But maybe I´ll just wait it out then, the potassium need might still indicate that something good is being done. It just felt odd that I still had the same need one month after quitting. It is nice to hear that you have similiar experience in regards to this.