• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L-Lysine - having the opposite affect its supposed to have, why?

Bansaw

My doc gave me a protocol, I think to try and address my Krebs cycle etc, and in that protocol is L-Argenine in the AM and L-Lysine in the PM. Its supposed to influence GABA receptors in the gut and promote more serotonin.
All the stuff on L-Lysine I read is that it makes you less anxious.
Well, it seems to have the opposite affect on me: it makes more more uptight. If I take it like 8pm or so, I can not sleep until 11pm or later.

Anyone else have this issue with L-Lysine? (I seem to tolerate L-Argenine well).

Tunguska

Never heard of that dosing. But you might want to know people elsewhere take l-lysine as a serotonin antagonist, and it probably lowers nitric oxide (normally increased in sleep). The anti-anxiety study I saw used arginine:lysine 1:1 before bed.

Lou

My doc gave me a protocol, I think to try and address my Krebs cycle etc, and in that protocol is L-Argenine in the AM and L-Lysine in the PM. Its supposed to influence GABA receptors in the gut and promote more serotonin.
All the stuff on L-Lysine I read is that it makes you less anxious.
Well, it seems to have the opposite affect on me: it makes more more uptight. If I take it like 8pm or so, I can not sleep until 11pm or later.

Anyone else have this issue with L-Lysine? (I seem to tolerate L-Argenine well).

You may not wish to entirely rule out arginine, yet. Perhaps, discontinue it for day or so, see if you sleep better.

Bansaw

You may not wish to entirely rule out arginine, yet. Perhaps, discontinue it for day or so, see if you sleep better.
I've been taking Argenine in the morning. I've not stopped that. I stopped Lysine two days ago so am not feeling uptight in the evenings. I wonder if its to do with my SNPs that I cannot tolerate Lysine so well?

Lou

I've been taking Argenine in the morning. I've not stopped that. I stopped Lysine two days ago so am not feeling uptight in the evenings. I wonder if its to do with my SNPs that I cannot tolerate Lysine so well?

Oh, wasn't aware you'd already gotten results by dropping the lysine. We're all so different, really hard to figure what causes problems for some is sometimes the balm for another.

Critterina

If you have a three-hour lag between taking Lysine and sleeping, why not just back it up to 3-4 hours before you want to sleep? It will still be p.m. I have a "p.m." med that I take at 3 p.m. so as not to interfere with sleep; I'm sure you can do the math for your bedtime.