• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does High Cholesterol Help us Fight Our Infections?

MCRobbie

Hi All.

Paul Jaminet wrote a series of Blog Posts on Cholesterol on his Website "Perfect Health Diet" in which he argues that Cholesterol Carrying Lipoproteins HDL, LDL, etc., play a more important role as Infection Fighting Molecules than the role to which they are normally assigned importance, as carrier proteins which carry Cholesterol to your cells. This is a theory which your average Dr has little idea exists and I think Paul makes a compelling case. Ive linked his five posts on the topic below for anyone interested.

Paul makes a number of arguments in this series.

1. These Lipoproteins may be more important as immune supporting molecules that fight infections than as carriers of Cholesterol which is how these Lipoproteins are normally understood.

2. There is compelling evidence that Higher Cholesterol Numbers equate with reduced mortality not Higher mortality and compelling evidence that the reason for this is because these Lipoproteins are great infection fighters and high levels of these Lipoproteins in the blood equate with higher infection fighting capacity, and since much disease is caused by underlying infection (s) according to Pauls position, it would make sense that Higher Cholesterol numbers would equate with reduced overall mortality which he argues they do.

Paul would argue that High Cholesterol Numbers (really Lipoprotein numbers) in persons suffering from Chronic Illness such as CFS/ME may be due to the bodys attempt to fight infections in the host by upregulating Lipoprotein production, in which case, high Lipoprotien counts in ones blood are precisely a good thing and what you want your body to do. This goes directly against conventional medical wisdom and your Doctors advice to lower your lipoprotein levels.

Here are the links to Pauls Posts on the subject. They are not long posts FYI. Pauls Comments in the Comment Section add insight on occasion.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/06/blood-lipids-and-infectious-disease-part-i/
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/07/blood-lipids-and-infectious-disease-part-ii/
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/04/hdl-and-immunity/
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/04/hdl-higher-is-good-but-is-highest-best/
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/04/how-to-raise-hdl/

Last edited:
Thanks @MCRobbie for all of the links/information regarding cholesterol. I've been trying to raise my HDL and lower my LDL(not as big of a concern) for over a year now with little success.

Oddly enough, I eat quite a bit of dairy fat but my HDL is still low...maybe it;s time to give Niacin a try. :nervous:

Mij

If you want to raise your HDL eat coconut oil. I eat at least 3TBSP a day with food, it raised my LDL and also HDL. The ratio stayed in the healthy zone.

If you want to raise your HDL eat coconut oil. I eat at least 3TBSP a day with food, it raised my LDL and also HDL. The ratio stayed in the healthy zone.

I do have plenty coconut oil, which I use for cooking. Occasionally i'll eat a spoonful of it. How much did it raise each type of cholesterol of you @Mij ?

Mij

This would be in Canadian lab numbers.

Most recent (May of this year) . . . . . . . . . HDL 2.00 >=1.30 mmol/L
LDL 3.81
Ratio 3.1

May 2014 . . . . . . . .. HDL 1:48
LDL 2:98
Ratio 3.17

This would be in Canadian lab numbers.

Most recent (May of this year) . . . . . . . . . HDL 2.00 >=1.30 mmol/L
LDL 3.81
Ratio 3.1

May 2014 . . . . . . . .. HDL 1:48
LDL 2:98
Ratio 3.17

So your ratio has even slightly improved...excellent. :)

My ratio has been bouncing around since I fell ill.

April 2014: 3.9
July 2014: 5.2
November 2014: 4.7
July 2015: 5.8 <-- o_O

My HDL has fallen to 38 (ref. 40-59). This is the first time it has been outside of the reference range. I'll give the coconut oil a try...it's certainly not going to kill me. :thumbsup:

Mij

I've been eating one gallon of coconut oil within 6 months just to myself for a few years now and I'm doing just fine :D

I've eaten more than 3TBSP a day on occasion. I love it.

I've been eating one gallon of coconut oil within 6 months just to myself for a few years now and I'm doing just fine :D

I've eaten more than 3TBSP a day on occasion. I love it.

I agree that it's good stuff. I like it better in the cooler months, when it's nice and solid, as it's much easier to get a spoonful.

I just ate a spoonful and it's semi-solid...maybe I need to keep it in the fridge. :cool: