• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questions for those taking activated charcoal for mold detox

Gingergrrl

I know there are several threads which mention charcoal but I wanted to compile some data all in one place and really appreciate any responses!

1) Have you (past or present) taken activated charcoal pills as part of a mold detox program?

2) If so, what brand, dose and frequency did you take them? Was it twice a day approx 12 hrs apart or another protocol?

3) how long did you do this protocol? (One year or ongoing etc.)

4) what did you notice (good or bad from it?). What symptoms did it help or did you have side effects?

5) do you take other binders with charcoal such as CSM, Chlorella, any of the clays, etc?

6) How many minutes do you separate from other meds (both pre and post charcoal.)

Thanks and if any other important info that I am missing, please let me know!

@Gingergrrl hello how have you been :D

Is it only for mold? How about other toxin/bacteria?

Anyway i wanted to try charcoal as as a treatment but i got issue since it will absorb drug/supplements hour before and after it o_O

Hopefully it gets more reply. Sorry my reply isnt helpful at all :(

1) Have you (past or present) taken activated charcoal pills as part of a mold detox program?

Yes.

2) If so, what brand, dose and frequency did you take them? Was it twice a day approx 12 hrs apart or another protocol?

One capsule twice a day, Bulletproof activated charcoal (500mg). About 8-9 hrs apart.

Since June this year.

4) what did you notice (good or bad from it?). What symptoms did it help or did you have side effects?

Constipation. Darkening of stools. Haven't noticed any benefits.

5) do you take other binders with charcoal such as CSM, Chlorella, any of the clays, etc?

CSM 4g. My dosage is

1. 10-12 noon. CSM 8g (two packets), charcoal (500mg), chlorella (1g), magnesium citrate (200mg), potassium gluconate (270mg)
2. 3-4pm. CSM 4g, potassium
3. 7pm.CSM 4g. charcoal, chlorella, magnesium, potassium

6) How many minutes do you separate from other meds (both pre and post charcoal.)

30 minutes pre charcoal or 60 mins post charcoal, except for the magnesium and potassium.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl hello how have you been :D

Is it only for mold? How about other toxin/bacteria?

Anyway i wanted to try charcoal as as a treatment but i got issue since it will absorb drug/supplements hour before and after it o_O

Hopefully it gets more reply. Sorry my reply isnt helpful at all :(

@kisekishiawase Good to hear from you and hoping you are okay! For me the detox is for confirmed severe mold exposure in my prior home. And your reply is thoughtful and helpful so no worries!

Gingergrrl

Yes.

One capsule twice a day, Bulletproof activated charcoal (500mg). About 8-9 hrs apart.

Since June this year.

Constipation. Darkening of stools. Haven't noticed any benefits.

CSM 4g. My dosage is

1. 10-12 noon. CSM 8g (two packets), charcoal (500mg), chlorella (1g), magnesium citrate (200mg), potassium gluconate (270mg)
2. 3-4pm. CSM 4g, potassium
3. 7pm.CSM 4g. charcoal, chlorella, magnesium, potassium

30 minutes pre charcoal or 60 mins post charcoal, except for the magnesium and potassium.

@fromstrawtomore thank you for your reply and since writing my post, I am not sure if I am going to tolerate this charcoal and only taking 1/8 pill twice a day so far. I do not tolerate many meds or supps and since MCAS this has gotten worse.

I am trying Country Life brand of charcoal but my mold doc actually recommended the Dave Asprey bulletproof kind that you are taking but we weren't sure if I could take b/c made from coconuts but since I know now I can drink coconut water again with no problems, I may try it.

The charcoal is making my skin itch to the point of needing Benadryl plus gives me heartburn and tachy in my sleep again. It's only been a few days but for me four doses is enough to connect the side effects.

I take Mag & Potassium already with no issues but never thought of them as binders for detox? Will try the bulletproof charcoal just in case I can tolerate it and maybe CSM (at much lower dose than you take.)

Have you tried glutathione (nebulized or in any form for mold detox too?)

Thanks again!

Hanna

Don't know if it will be of any help, since I am taking charcoal for general toxins (including mold, but also from Lyme and co). I have been taking Nature's way for a year (2 caps = 560 mg at night, 3 hours apart from anything else).
I find it very satisfying especially for brain hyperactivity like racing thoughts for example). It helps me to sleep as a result.

I have been taking also liposomal glutathion for the same purpose, when waking-up early in the morning (same thing, it is a strong binder, so has to be taken apart from meds/sups).

Gingergrrl

@Hanna thank you and forgot, do you have MCAS in addition to Lyme and mold exposure? I know you've had reactions to other pills and food dyes (I think!) so was curious.

Hanna

Unfortunately, I can't be tested by a doc for this where I live (knowledge more than limited/ belief there is no such thing as MCAS). It is a possibility though...

@Gingergrrl that seems scary (the side effect, esp heart issue)

what i hate about having an undiagnosed/unknown condition is not knowing why how what will trigger an issue.
Anyway i usually use charcoal only when having diarrhea. But onlu small dose and its ok.

Do you have candida issue?

Gingergrrl

Thanks everyone and per my mold doc I am to stop the charcoal and was not able to tolerate it. We will be trying some other things but not quite yet. Thanks to everyone who responded.