• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Improving methylation may trigger EBV relapse

Dreambirdie

work in progress
This is definitely of concern to me.

So it uses your methylation processes to replicate itself?
So, just to explain it again, here’s what it does:

• EBV must first establish a latent B cell infection in order to keep them alive long enough to produce new viral particles
  • EBV DNA is unmethylated upon infection, but becomes methylated over time by the host B cell
  • The BZLF1-encoded protein, Zta (a cousin to AP-1), induces the viral lytic cycle (this means part of the reproductive cycle), but it prefers binding sites that are methylated. So the lytic phase gets delayed until enough methylation has occurred.

What do others think? @Dufresne @AndyPandy @caledonia @Critterina @ahmo

http://ihateticks.me/2015/05/22/war...on-may-trigger-an-epstein-barr-virus-relapse/

ahmo

I don't know if this is relevant, I didn't add it to original post: my herpes has pretty much disappeared during this past year. Maybe not same profile/action as you've quoted for EBV.

dannybex

I'm a dufus when it comes to these things, but the author of the blog starts out with a factual error in her first sentence of the third paragraph when she says:

"EBV is a retro-virus.."

Uh, no. It's a virus.

And it seems most of her references were in vitro cell-line studies.

Lastly, I think we would've seen some sort of report of worsening EBV infections in the many folks doing various methylation protocols.

Dufus Dan