• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unfolded Protein Response and A Possible Treatment for CFS

Violeta

If anyone does take the advice of cutting way back on animal protein, which means you would be lowering uric acid levels in your body, you might have to do it gradually. I've done it several times, and am doing it again now, and I usually do it cold turkey. It causes a lot of uncomfortableness, to say the least.

This book gives the reasons from the point of view of the early 1900's, and some things you can do to relieve the symptoms. Maybe some of the supplements for ER stress relief would help, too, I don't know.

https://books.google.com/books?id=E...q=uric acid an epitome on the subject&f=false

mariovitali

@Violeta,

I believe that you are beginning to realise the implications IF this regimen works.

IF
it works then that means that by following it you could potentially minimise the chances of Getting many diseases (e.g Diabetes Type 2, Alzheimer's, Chronic Kidney Disease, CVD) which are being added to the list as having ER Stress the main possible culprit :thumbsup:

Needless to say that one should adapt the regimen according to his/her DNA SNPs and -unfortunately- with lots of self experimentation.

But if you know the main culprit then that is a good start.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

When you say "low dose supplementation", to which supplement are you referring exactly?
All of them. For instance, I definetly can't handle 800mcg methylfolate, or 1,500mcg MB12, I always get horrible side effects from too much supplementation. I have just upped my Choline dose from 30 to 50mg... And right now I am starting a sabbatical week without supps to draw blood at the end of this week to check up my anemia.

If you have to eat meat then please make sure that :

1) You don't eat other Phenylalanine sources (such as chewing gum with aspartame) or other aspartame sources, many egg whites
Never do that :thumbsup:
2) Supplement with Choline to raise TMAO (this will properly fold misfolded proteins). A good daily intake would be at least 550 mg per day
I am at 50mg now :sluggish:
3) Supplement with TUDCA, up to 750 mg per day (which gives enhanced protection for misfolded proteins)
I don't have access to this supplement, and never tolerated Taurine - can't open my eyes during the day; can't close my eyes during the night when I take it :confused:

mariovitali

All of them. For instance, I definetly can't handle 800mcg methylfolate, or 1,500mcg MB12, I always get horrible side effects from too much supplementation. I have just upped my Choline dose from 30 to 50mg... And right now I am starting a sabbatical week without supps to draw blood at the end of this week to check up my anemia.

Never do that :thumbsup:

I am at 50mg now :sluggish:

I don't have access to this supplement, and never tolerated Taurine - can't open my eyes during the day; can't close my eyes during the night when I take it :confused:

Hmm, i see.

It would be great if you can get hold of TUDCA. If not then your best bet is raising TMAO by Choline supplementation. Try adding 20 mg every other day and see how this works for you.

You have a difficult job to do because you have to strike a balance between what you have to take and what your body can handle.

BTW are you drinking coffee? And if you are drinking, what happens if you try to have a cup of coffee after -say- 18:00. Will that lead to insomnia for you?

Violeta

Speaking of coffee, did you see that they use caffeine to drain Ca+ from the ER? I still don't know what's downstream from that, but it doesn't sound good.

They say coffee drinking is good for preventing Parkinson's, but I don't believe it. It is a acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, but it would seem that that's not really taking care of the problem, just masking it.

Violeta

BTW are you drinking coffee? And if you are drinking, what happens if you try to have a cup of coffee after -say- 18:00. Will that lead to insomnia for you?

Excuse me for butting in, but that's an interesting point since taurine should have the opposite effect of caffeine. I think, anyway.

Gondwanaland

I drink only 1/2 cup at breakfast. Feels great despite my CYP SNP that gives me low tolerance to caffeine. I take it with cream and 3 tsp whey (forbidden, I know!)

The extra lysine from whey feels wonderful. My kidneys dislike taking L-lysine HCL. A few days ago I found a study linking lysine to dissolving oxalate kidney stones, which I don't have, but do have important oxalate issues.

they use caffeine to drain Ca+ from the ER?
Sometime ago I read that coffee is linked to osteoporosis :confused:

mariovitali

Excuse me for butting in, but that's an interesting point since taurine should have the opposite effect of caffeine. I think, anyway.

If @Gondwanaland drinks an afternoon coffee and then she has a problem getting to sleep then that means that her liver metabolizes slowly the Caffeine so she is a slow metabolizer. If she is a slow metabolizer she could benefit from P450 inducers.

Taurine has a calming effect as it up regulates GABA activity.

Violeta

If @Gondwanaland drinks an afternoon coffee and then she has a problem getting to sleep then that means that her liver metabolizes slowly the Caffeine so she is a slow metabolizer. If she is a slow metabolizer she could benefit from P450 inducers.

Taurine has a calming effect as it up regulates GABA activity.

Does it seem strange that the taurine keeps her awake at night, though?

Violeta

I drink only 1/2 cup at breakfast. Feels great despite my CYP SNP that gives me low tolerance to caffeine. I take it with cream and 3 tsp whey (forbidden, I know!)

The extra lysine from whey feels wonderful. My kidneys dislike taking L-lysine HCL. A few days ago I found a study linking lysine to dissolving oxalate kidney stones, which I don't have, but do have important oxalate issues.

1/2 cup of coffee a day is good self control. I love tea, especially ice tea and oolong, and I can never drink 1/2 cup a day. Once I start drinking it I start to guzzle it, if there is a translation for guzzle to your mother language. :)

Oh, interesting about lysine dissolving kidney stones. I don't have actual stones that I know of, but probably crystals. Interesting because lysine is good for some viruses, too.

Violeta

Can you try eating from this list with high foods in Lysine?

Nice list, spirulina! I didn't realize that. And cream cheese and egg white, interesting those three things are what I was planning on using for protein now that I am cutting out fish. That gives me good incentive for my plan.

Violeta

I wonder if that's what is causing so many people to lose height here in USA. Lots of coffee drinkers. And caffeine in acidic sodas, too. I know a lady who is just under 50 years of age that has lost over an inch in height already.

Gondwanaland

I don't have actual stones that I know of, but probably crystals.
I am full of crystals everywhere :depressed:
I love tea, especially ice tea and oolong,
I love oolong. Between 2000 and 2010 I would guzzle green tea, sometimes oolong, more rarely black tea. They do build up oxalates o_O
Can you try eating from this list with high foods in Lysine?
A few month ago I reintroduced dairy (no milk) to my diet for the lysine content since I do not eat turkey or much fish/seafoods. Just can't get enough of it.
Yes it is strange that she has this reaction to Taurine.
Hey, I am not the only one here in this forum ;)
Although maybe taurine at night would work, Gondwanaland, but maybe you've tried that already.
I did, and it gave me insomnia. :rolleyes:
now that I am cutting out fish
Why?

Gondwanaland

What i think is going on is that the pain is of neurological origin. What your husband experiences is the negative effects from impaired calcium homeostasis.
Today I found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benfotiamine
Benfotiamine
It is prescribed there for treating sciatica and other painful nerve conditions.
I am trying that for one week before giving him other Bs. Luckily I have Benfotiamine at home. He clearly has low B1 symptoms when taking other Bs - B2 for instance gives him bad dreams - and also B1 is needed for better Mfolate absorption/metabolism (link in my sig).

I seem to finally being able to apply all the info I gathered here fo 1.5 years :ill:

Violeta

I am full of crystals everywhere :depressed:

I love oolong. Between 2000 and 2010 I would guzzle green tea, sometimes oolong, more rarely black tea. They do build up oxalates o_O

A few month ago I reintroduced dairy (no milk) to my diet for the lysine content since I do not eat turkey or much fish/seafoods. Just can't get enough of it.

Hey, I am not the only one here in this forum ;)

I did, and it gave me insomnia. :rolleyes:

Why?

Yes, they do build up oxalates, and copper, too, and caffeine. :grumpy:

We are a strange bunch, or maybe we are the normal ones??

I gave up fish a couple of days ago because I have been having what might be uric acid symptoms again. I had been using dairy for protein, too, it's low purine, but was not sure if it was giving me problems because of the calcium, so I switched to fish. Now reading about protein folding issues, I am trying a lower protein diet again, but I feel terrible and will feel terrible for a while.

leela

Has anyone used Powder City as a source for their sups? Getting ready to buy but always concerned about source and purity.