• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

iV rocephin Lymes

trickthefox

This appears to be lots of Lyme Practitioners and Dr KDMs first point of call for Lymes

Is there a reason for this?

I heard another Lyme doctor saying oral doxycycline should be better if not more efficient.

Has anyone put lyme into remission with iv rocephin?

Thanks!

Ren

Valentijn

I heard another Lyme doctor saying oral doxycycline should be better if not more efficient.
Oral antibiotics can do a number on the gut, though are also part of treatment. My general understanding is that IV antibiotics are generally preferred for Lyme in patients who have had it a long time and/or have a lot of neurological involvement. It also might shorten the treatment time somewhat.
Lyme bacteria can change into several forms, and multiple antibiotics are needed. Rocephin alone probably wouldn't be sufficient. But IV rocephin was the first antibiotic I took for Lyme treatment, and it did help. I'm still on additional antibiotics, but during each break between antibiotics courses I notice that I'm doing better than I was before treatment. Most striking has been the improvement in cognitive abilities - that started while I was on Rocephin, and it has remained.

JAH

Oral antibiotics can do a number on the gut, though are also part of treatment. My general understanding is that IV antibiotics are generally preferred for Lyme in patients who have had it a long time and/or have a lot of neurological involvement. It also might shorten the treatment time somewhat.

Lyme bacteria can change into several forms, and multiple antibiotics are needed. Rocephin alone probably wouldn't be sufficient. But IV rocephin was the first antibiotic I took for Lyme treatment, and it did help. I'm still on additional antibiotics, but during each break between antibiotics courses I notice that I'm doing better than I was before treatment. Most striking has been the improvement in cognitive abilities - that started while I was on Rocephin, and it has remained.
Valentijn,

How quickly did you notice cognitive improvement? Seems like that improvement has stayed with you, so congrats on that. Any digestive problems with Rocephin?

Thanks, J

Valentijn

How quickly did you notice cognitive improvement? Seems like that improvement has stayed with you, so congrats on that. Any digestive problems with Rocephin?
I think it started pretty soon ... within a few weeks, if not the first week. I've got more details in some posts in my thread in the "doctors" subforum, but don't feel up to checking it currently.

I had no digestive problems, but I don't think any are expected with IV antibiotics. I didn't have any side-effects from the IV antibiotics, just typical Herxheimer symptoms in reaction to spirochetes releasing endotoxins: fever, chills, hypotension. I've had more side-effects from oral antibiotics, sometimes making me miserable for a couple hours per day with nausea or headaches, but nothing serious.

JAH

Thanks. I had read your post,in the other thread but also too lazy to go through it tonight. My abdomen is really cramped up after 9 weeks of Rocephin, pain after eating. I'm hoping I'm not having any gallbladder side effects. Otherwise, yeah, overall the IV's huge improvement for my stomach, up to recently, not sure what's up now....

Glad your hanging in there with at least some success, I don't think I'll be able to take Rocephin much longer without seeing any benefit.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @trickthefox , good luck to you, J

Helen

Hi Ren,

I was on oral Doxycycline for about a year and I also got Azithromycin pulsed on and off.
It didn´t help more than for short periods. I got worse and worse as soon as I was off the Doxy..

Then I was prescribed 6 weeks of Rocephin/Ceftriaxone and 6 weeks of IV Azithromycin together with other drugs. This all together put Lyme into remission. The treatment will continue but I definitely got my life back.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Are you diagnosed with Lyme @trickthefox ?

If not, I would personally try to get IVIG (as im doing myself now). This is likely to be of major benefit, in light of the success with Rituximab. Im chatting with two-three people from Norway who has responded significantly.

trickthefox

I'm showing quite a few lyme symptoms, and been in contact with KDM who thinks it may be a possibility, but i'm obviously not going to go down that route unless i have bloodwork infront of me that states very clearly that I do.. im not going to treat it on a 'maybe' either... but im just curious about treatment.

Also i am very, very wary of rituximab, i think people jumping on the bandwaggon or wanting to be signed up for trails should be really cautious, because of my belief of M.E. being a bit of an umbrella term (someone's M.E. could be severe mineral defficiency, some could be viral, some could be lyme, some could be heavy metals, chemical poisoning etc.etc.) something that completely suppresses a branch of your immune system may help a certain subsect of patients, but be devastating for others