• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

acyclovair and famvir? HC and predi

cb2

HI
I was taking 800mg acyclovair 3x a day a few years ago and then i stopped, i cant remember why.

when i tried again it seemed like it made me dizzy..but since i stopped my titers have gone way up.
and my fatigue have gone way up.

now i have an rx for famvir and was gonna give that a try but started thinking well if the acyclvair worked in the past why not stick with it.. so i went back to 800mg 2x a day..

wondering if i can take some famvir with it?

also why do you all seem to prefer famvir?

and i was on a dose of predinose for a month for poision oak.. normally take HC .. tapered of predi 2 days ago and i am really drained..wondering how /if to increase HC a bit for a few days

thank you.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I used to take acyclovir and then switched to Famvir. They are sort of the same thing only Famvir is better. I don't think taking both at the same time will do much, otherwise I'd be doing it LOL. I do know when I have a viral reactivation Famvir takes care of.

I can't remember exactly why the Famvir is better but I think it works on more viruses. If you search around here I'm pretty it's been talked about before.

Also, when you start the Famvir, start very low and slow. You probably started in too fast with the acyclovir, hence the bad reaction. I have a huge reaction to AV's so I have to be careful.

@heapsreal will be able to answer your question about the Av's and the HC.

cb2

thank you @minkeygirl (did that tag you? ) i am wondering if i tapered too fast from the prednisone allow i follow the dr's protocol. I tried the famvir a couple times and seemed to get a headache but i took one today 500mg and no headache.. the dr has me starting slow i think 500mg 1x a day for a week or two i forget, will check bottle. thank you for the links. i hope to remember to check them out tomorrow. hope you have a good evening.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I can't help you with the HC. @Ema can. Yes you tagged me.

When I started Famvir I split the 500 and started with one 250/day because I know I have problems with antivirals. I get nauseated, headaches and horrible back spasms. I stayed there for a few days then went up 250/day until I was at the dose I needed.

Sometimes it hits you a day or two when you get the levels up in your blood so if you start having problems, back down and split the pills and start much slower, IMO.

cb2

HI @Ema.. thanks for the reply.. i have gone back to my usual 27.5mg dose now.. sorry it took so long to reply.
ps- how to tell if i am on too much or not enough HC? any thoughts? thank you

Ema

ps- how to tell if i am on too much or not enough HC? any thoughts? thank you
It's difficult to tell sometimes because there isn't a good lab test to help guide you once you are on HC. So it's basically how you feel, plus your electrolyte levels and keeping track of your blood pressure. If all of those factors are good, then your dose is likely sufficient. If not, you might need some tweaking.

cb2

@Ema what should i be looking out for with the BP and HC? also do you take a bit extra when you exercise?
I guess i am not over dosed as the immune dr ran a random cortisol test last week about 3 hours after my mid day HC dose and the cortisol level came back at 10. well within range.

Ema

@Ema what should i be looking out for with the BP and HC? also do you take a bit extra when you exercise?
I guess i am not over dosed as the immune dr ran a random cortisol test last week about 3 hours after my mid day HC dose and the cortisol level came back at 10. well within range.
I like my BP to be around 120/80. Lower systolic can be a sign of low cortisol whereas low diastolic is often more reflective of aldosterone.

If I'm going to be doing something more strenuous than usual or if it is hotter than usual, yes, I take more steroid. It's better to take more upfront than to let yourself get low afterwards because in my experience it takes a lot more steroid to catch up.

Cortisol tests while on HC are basically worthless in terms of determining replacement unfortunately.

cb2

this is GREAT info @ Ema! i really appreciate this.. last friday after the 4 hour drive to llmd that takes insurance my sys was 111 most of last week i felt dizzy.. i wonder if i didnt taper long enough off the prednisone?
i will keep an eye out .. how often do you test your BP.

i am a bit nervous about taking too much HC but i like the idea of being able to measure using the BP.

godlovesatrier

Hey @minkeygirl

Do you still take famvir and if so did it help you improve any of your symptoms and regular issues? Things like brainfog and fatigue but also PEM, sleep issues, gut issues, bigger energy envelope, able to go for walks where could not before, reduced inflamation in any area of the body, reduced physical tics etc.

Thank you :)